ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 169.9 BHP

clio 182
I took my clio 182 on the rolling road last weekend and the results came out at 169.9 bhp at the flywheel the car has been remapped , full system with decat and pipercross induction kit . is this a low result

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 211
  Peddled device
Re: Clio 182 BHP

Mine is 172.

182 is PS and not BHP

One PS is about 98.6% of a single brake horsepower

Titanium Clio 182

I RR'd mine a few weeks back, at Surrey Rolling Road.
Got Remap, matched inlets, exhaust and K&N. Guy at the rolling road expected about 175-180.
It came out at 169 :dapprove:

Cammed 182 :)

I would say its a tad low mate give it a full service new plugs and get a injector additive. Then r/r it again you should see more.

clio 182

will try that .it had a full service with renault 6 months ago and cambelt and aux belt change but i will do an oil change , plugs and injector additive and see how it goes . k tec reckon thats the normal bhp of them on rolling roads just looked a bit low .

How many of these thread do we need before people realise the 172 / 182 and 197 / 200 cars dont produce the stated horse power?

Its the main reason i see absolutely no point in putting a f4r in a Mk1. The f7r produces nearly as much power and is a direct swap.

A club like this should organise a protest to renault so they stop this practice.

Listerine & Poledo
manufacturers quote outputs from the flywheel on a dyno, rolling roads give output at the wheels so there's, like, transmission lossed 'n' junk to factor in.
Yeah, RR's calculate a lot of this out, but even so 180 brake at the flywheel wont mean 180 at tarmac-level.
that's as much as I know, and I could easily be wrong

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

How many of these thread do we need before people realise the 172 / 182 and 197 / 200 cars dont produce the stated horse power?

Its the main reason i see absolutely no point in putting a f4r in a Mk1. The f7r produces nearly as much power and is a direct swap.

A club like this should organise a protest to renault so they stop this practice.

172 Cups do.

Well, all the ones I've seen run alongside non 172 Cup variants have done.

They're special you see.

Ph1
manufacturers quote outputs from the flywheel on a dyno, rolling roads give output at the wheels so there's, like, transmission lossed 'n' junk to factor in.
Yeah, RR's calculate a lot of this out, but even so 180 brake at the flywheel wont mean 180 at tarmac-level.
that's as much as I know, and I could easily be wrong

Renault dont have a magic engine dyno that works different to everyone elses.

You can get rollers that measure @ wheels and rollers that measure @ fly (most common).

Fly figure is a calculation of a wheel figure iirc,.. both types of which are only as accurate as the person at the end of them.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

172 Cups do.

They're special you see.

I've heard one place say that CC can sap a couple of horses...which is why the Cups seem to do better in terms of horses under the bonnet compared to their FF equivalents. (Don't know if its true though)

e91 330d/type r mini
mine made 172.8bhp so im pretty pleased with that.i personally would of thought 169 for a 182 with those mods is a tad low. might be the induction kit thats not doing ou any favours tbh

Listerine & Poledo
Renault dont have a magic engine dyno that works different to everyone elses.

You can get rollers that measure @ wheels and rollers that measure @ fly (most common).

Fly figure is a calculation of a wheel figure iirc,.. both types of which are only as accurate as the person at the end of them.

Thought it might have been too easy an answer to the quetion.

with this in mind, all the loss-calculations aside, how much does a 172 actually put to tarmac?...Or have i just answered my own question?

clio 182
I took my clio 182 on the rolling road last weekend and the results came out at 169.9 bhp at the flywheel the car has been remapped , full system with decat and pipercross induction kit . is this a low result

Did mine today at rs tuning it came out exactly the same as yours mate apparently that's the sort of result you'd expect from standard 182. Alot of people rave on about these piper induction kits losing power maybe you should try a different induction method.

Mods i'm running are: standard airbox held on by (clio's best friend) ducktape, also a dodgy custom exhaust system which has flexipipe at the back :S

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Mine made 175.2 bhp ATF in standard trim but it differs from different rollers, mine was at rs tuning. Most of the 182's made around that on that day. I'd say that yours sounds low, maybe get it checked out.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I've heard one place say that CC can sap a couple of horses...which is why the Cups seem to do better in terms of horses under the bonnet compared to their FF equivalents. (Don't know if its true though)

removing my power steering released 7bhp, and that's just from the drag of running the belt/compressor under no load.

Based on that I'd say there's more than 2 or 3 lost to air con.

Ph1
Thought it might have been too easy an answer to the quetion.

with this in mind, all the loss-calculations aside, how much does a 172 actually put to tarmac?...Or have i just answered my own question?

The @ the wheels figure ;)

You could whip the engine out and bench dyno it to get a true engine figure. End of the day you might have 10 bhp more than another 172 / 182/ 197 etc but he / she might have less weight etc ..

Where do you draw the line :)

My F7R produced 153bhp. It drove nice, was good fun.

Fitted F4R which will produce more than 153bhp without fail, unless some spanner has done the cambelt without the correct tools and the timing is out.

All the ones on here that have been sub 160bhp have had some sort of mechanical problem, Burps 172 Ph1 for example which made 147bhp or thereabouts, that turned out to be an incorrectly timed cambelt. Not to mention they make a fair chunk more torque than an F7R does in standard form.

The drive is completely different, the extra power/torque it creates really is the noticable by a long way. From driving both engines in the same shell it pulls alot harder and revs a lot more freely than the F7R ever did.

I can take this to 7.5k+ all day long on track and not have a problem, whereas my F7R on a standard limiter of 6.5k used to burn oil and make it feel like you were effectively short shifting. I didnt even bother raising the limiter as it would have probably burnt more oil - Not saying all F7R's do but at the end of the day they are a ~15year old engine.

After I put it into a gravel trap and snapped the cambelt I couldn't be bothered wasting money rebuilding an F7R, for the same cost I bought and did the F4R conversion and came out with a better powered more reliable track car.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
at the end of the day the 17 year old hunnies on mconalds car park @ 2:00am are more interested in the neon lights, door stack stickers and who give the best bj too care about bhp... come on lets be honest...

172 cup

172 Cups do.

They're special you see.
i read an artical that 172 cups have never made less than 170 bhp . because they have the hand picked inlets. dont know what this is all about .anyone know

Qashcow
pipercross induction kits are s**t, well the Viper is anyway. sell it on, get a V6 airbox setup with ITG filter and see the difference. wouldnt cost more than £50 if you sell the Pipercross

J

jonnytheboy

Had mine RR'd when i got it standard and made 174.8bhp, added milltek decat and system and piperx open filter it made 179.3bhp on the same rollers :(, Its back to a standard exhaust and decat and a standard air filter and made 179.2bhp

Work that one out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
this again..!

So many variable factors to a RR that you will rarely get the same output. I.e ---

Room temperature/Outside temperature/tyre psi/fuel gradiant etc etc

If your car reads low its broke, if it reads high the rollers are broke, you cannot win

JDM Dc2

lol.

Iceberg 172
I don't get why people on here are so concerned about a figure from a RR when they've got no other cars to compare against on the same day.

There are so many factors which could affect your result.

If you're happy with the way the car drives then what's up? My first thing would be to have a little play with a std 1*2.

RR's imo are only good for comparing figures when you have a good few cars running on the same day and the power graph. Peak figures mean s**t.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

Agreed! Renault lied!:mad::mad:

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

You did better than me! Mine was 165!:(

I spent a fair amount which I shouldn't have. BTB Exhaust with de-cat, ITG Maxogen, matched inlets, fast road cams and re-map by RS Tuning. Only made 180. 1 bhp over the supposed standard power:eek:.

Looking back now it was fun in tuning the car but an expensive lay out for not much of a return. N/A's aint worth tuning unless they're 8 cylinders to start off with or the engine is in a very light car.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
So if renault are "lying" as it were then they should rolling road every car before they go to the owner so we've got everything from Clio 159's to Clio 175's and everything in between? Hardly.

Its a guidline and should be used with a degree of caution and not gospel truth.

Who really cares? If it feels good then thats great isnt it?

172 Cup
Had my 172 cup on a RR yesterday. It made 180bhp and 157lb/ft, also did a 1/4 mile in 13.87s.

Now I understand a RR is never going to be fully accurate etc. And I'm never going to claim my car makes this much, however I would like peoples comments if they dont mind.....

As far as I'm aware my 172 cup is standard other than an aftermarket mild steel exhaust, no idea what it is, a panel filter and a fairly recent service which included new plugs etc.
I've had a short shift pin fitted which may help with the 1/4 mile time a little.

So could my car have had any other modifications in the past? And if so what might it have to make that power?

I was rather pleased with the results anyway and the car managed to fend off all of the vectra gsi's I went there with (used to have one before the cup), other than a 3.0 version.

Cheers