ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 16v, 106gti or 306 Cab

Hi people,

I used to be a member of cliosport a yr or so ago when I had a mint valver, anyway since that made way for a company car and now a 106gti.

Now I love my gti but I fancy a change, after spending the day at FCS i realised I cant shift the lust for the wide arches and bonnet vent of the clio 16v and now i find myself thinkin of chopping in my gti for one.

The other option which temps me is a phase2 306 cab 2l. Now my old man has one and is interested in swapping it for my gti. They are both on R plates but mine has only covered 52k where has the cab has covered 93k. There would be no money involved, just a straight swap. I have always wanted a cab, and now I have the perfect chance.

What would you lot do. If I sold the gti I would have a little over 3k to play with. I could go old school with the 16v, stay with the fun little gti or go for the drop top.

The only thing that puts me off the valver is the age for the money compaired to the gti and cab.

Opinons please

Titanium 182

defos wouldnt swap for your old mans car thats done 93k, 41k more than your current car!

i still love the valver, but if i was ever to get one again, id try and scrape the money together and get a nice one for fun use, save around 1500, keep the gti as the everyday car

and just insure the valver for as cheap as poss 3rd party, there just not reliable and cost a bomb to fix unless u can do it your self

or if u find a well looked after newer valver then sell the gti and get it!

yeah, but surly a cab is worth more than a 106gti, i love the gti but it is not as good as I thought it was going to be!!

The 106gti is mint and only covered 52k and i only paid £2995 for it 5 months ago, now the cab has to be worth more than that, as it is a phase 2, china blue.

The cheapest phase 2 306 cab in autotrader at the mo has 123k on the clock and is up for 3k!! So a 306 cab with 93k is gotta be worth between 3-4k!! Also surly a revy 106gti engine will not go for the amount of miles as a crusing 2l, will it?? Plus the cab has been owned by my mum and dad for 50k so I know it history and it hasnt missed a beat!!

From what I gather, I think you want to get the Cab. As I mentioned, I would go for the 106 but it sounds as if you have your heart set on the Cab.

If it feels good, do it.

disclaimer - badinvincible cannot be held responsible for third parties "doing it" because it "feels good."

lol, i am so split down the middle. The gti is good but I always wanted a cab and my dad needs something smaller, but then there is a difference in millage.

Oh well, but then there is the valver!!

Ahh feck it, its doing my head in.

Titanium 182

well if its been owned by then, then it hasnt be thrashed!

the 106 prob wouldnt go on for as long as the cab, but i doubt ul still own it when its coming up to 100k!

what did u expect from the gti? end of the day its only 120bhp, my vts is fast sometimes othertimes its not so hot!

i dont know what id do

i doubt i would go back to the valver, unless u can find one under 70k on something like an N plate thats got a good history etc

if your parents will do a full swap, then if u dont like the cab u can sell it, and if you get more than the 2995 than u paid for the gti then u havent made a loss

so u have no worries, but............. in 7k the cab will becoming up to 100k, and things do wear and tear, like u say its never missed a beat therefore u could be the one left repairing bits that crop up and its had nothing replaced in the past!?

dont know what id do really!

2005 Impreza WRX STI

get the cab then sell it! rip your mam n dad off, u no it makes sense!LOL.

no seriously mate,it sounds ok.but personally id have the gti.

If I were you, Id make no rash decisions and see how you feel in a week or twos time.

Your dads car isnt going anywhere by the sound of things and the GTi will sell pretty easily too.

Irrational hankerings can be just that - irrational. It sounds as if your 106 is in great condition and is serving you well. Mind you, I know what you mean about missing the wide arches and bonnet bulge of a 16V or Williams!

After selling my Williams last summer, I realised Id made a mistake. The Fiat Coupe 20VT I replaced it with was too much hassle and so I went for a Ph2 172 this February. It doesnt light my fire in the way the Williams or perhaps even my 16V did - but its a mint car and worth hanging on to.

Every time I think of selling, I draw up a simple table on Excel and rate (out of ten) the car choices by performance, handling, VFM, style, costs etc - and the 172 always comes up tops against all other choices overall, even when Im having my doubts!

I think I will swap on a trial period for 2 weeks, then we can both see how we like each car.

He needs a smaller car and so WILL sell the cab after the summer and so it is a shame to let a car that I have always wanted and loved go and miss the chance.

Quote: Originally posted by klmillard on 31 May 2005
lol, what u got ben, is it the green 16v??

yea the green beast

Sounds to me like you are bored with the 106 GTI. So swap for the 306 cab especialy if you think it is worth more. Then try it out. If you dont like it sell it and get a Valver. Hell you could even buy something else miby a willy or another 106 GTI if you think you made a mistake.

D

don't

do what your planning

swap for 2 weeks and just see what you both think

the cab may feel extremely slow and you may hate it

just have a good week or two with the cab and see if you still like it or not,