ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 16V - engine rebuild advice

Hi folks,

Due to a blown head-gasket Im in the process of stripping down and re-building my F7P engine; since most of the surrounding area has to be dismantled Im gonna take the entire engine/box out and tidy the engine bay up; re-loom the electrics etc.

Any good advice appreciated wrt things to look out for, potential problems, components to replace.

Im gonna re-new the following:

Clutch (if required); water pump; followers; cambelt plus tensioner/idler; all gaskets etc.; head bolts; thermostat;

Anything else ?

C

chip16v

i think you have got most things on your list but get some proper hose clips for when you plumb it back in because those renault ones such ass. also check your head to see if its warped from overheating while your gasket had blown. have you consided doing some head work while the heads off ?

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Have you checked the condition of the head itself as it may need re-surfacing?

If you got it all open it would seem the perfect oportunity to do some proper mods like cams and uprated head.

while the engine is out would be a good chance to double check all the water hoses and if you are going to keep the car may be worth buying silicone hoses....would save a load of hassle if one splits 3 months down the line

Good suggestions guys; I was going to get the head skimmed anyway.

What head mods do you suggest ? Where from ?

Hoses; yep, theyll be checked; silicone ones are a possibility, although not cheap !!.

C

chip16v

Ben r seems to know his stuff on heads, i dont know what what prices he does for a flowed head but iam sure hes good. theres another lad on here who sells race cams cheap, i think its someone called bondy. Also BB tuning do head work i think there "head,chip and cams" are about £1500

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Bens heads are very good from what I can tell. Very high spec.

Couple that with some cams then get some one to chip it and you should get alot in return and youd have saved yourself alot on labour by doing it yourself.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Yeah Bens head work sounds good and very competitively priced. Gonna use him myself soon. Bondy on here can also supply the cams cheap, about £130 I think for fast road.

If you look at this as the ideal opportunity to get such work done, you will save loads on labour costs. And you will be getting a damn fine engine that wont need touching for quite a while after all this is done. Just need a chip at a later date to help it all.

But at least if you do it in stages it keeps the cost down.

If your just taking the engine out and replacing ancilliaries then you have nothing to worry about, its all very straight forward with the engine out.

If interested in headwork please PM me. :D

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Reckon all this should serve you well, I wish I had enough time to take my engine out and have the opportunity to get stuff done like that!