ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 16v

xr4x4

Thinking of buying one of these in a few months hopefully, just wondering what they are like on reliabilty, speed etc..

I currently own a 106 xsi which is a cracking little motor and i was thinking of putting a 16v lump in it but ive always fancied a valver!

Cheers

Dave:)

Clio 182

Do a search fella! been discussed loads of times.

eerm ,theyre not the most reliable of cars! lol, but cant be beaten for fun factor!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i have just bought one, i was told that yes they are not the most reliable cars, but if you keep on top of servicing and maintainence and dont rag the sh*t out of it from cold you should be alright, also take your time to look for a good one, usual stuff like rust etc etc. for a good one you will probably be looking around £2500 - £3000.

xr4x4

Well i cant afford one yet so ill be sticking with the pug, hopefully looking for a low mileage ph2 valver...and its gotta be blue..hehe

Cheers

Dave

xr4x4

As low mileage as possible, i do know most have been round the clock and had the life caned out of them...so it will be tricky finding a good one!

LY 200

Why blue???

Black and Naples are the colours to have!!!;)

Back on topic reliability wise there ok but when they do go wrong your not talkin 50 quid, itl be more like a few hundred!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Freebone on 16 March 2005

what do you call low mileage, i just bought a phase 2 on 83,000 in monaco blue, immaculate for £2500
My ph2 is just turned over 63K

Dont know many valvers lower than this, know there are a fair few williams on silly low mileage......

LY 200

^^^Yes it is but when its all minted up you dont get much better and the same with Naples!!!:D

one thing to remember with blue is 449 blue dont come in a can, so it you need to have anything little sprayed, it becomes a bit expensive so i have found out

I just bought a 95N, mint grey 16v with 53k on the clock. Its got all the old MOts, service stuff and was owned by a bloke who worked for reno. Has leather seats too. Just bought some 172 cup wheels for it but havent put them on yet. Paid £3000 for mine and prefere it to my old racing Puma which cost £12000.

clio 16v

mines on 63k on an M plate. had it 6months, and nouts gone wrong. but it will do. Just spend a long time looking for a good one. I spent 8 months looking for the right one.

had mine a year now - its on 103k and i have done 10k in the past year and had no problems! TOUCH WOOD!!

Quote: Originally posted by Tom_16v on 16 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Freebone on 16 March 2005

what do you call low mileage, i just bought a phase 2 on 83,000 in monaco blue, immaculate for £2500
My ph2 is just turned over 63K

Dont know many valvers lower than this, know there are a fair few williams on silly low mileage......
same as me mate, mine is a 94 phase 1 n it has only done jus under 62k, not many of us round tho hey lol

[Edited by feirce187 on 16 March 2005 at 10:25pm]

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by simon_elvin on 16 March 2005
one thing to remember with blue is 449 blue dont come in a can, so it you need to have anything little sprayed, it becomes a bit expensive so i have found out

Go to halfrauds mate. Theyll make cans up for you.

Low mileage ones arent necessarily better remember. Theyre less likely to have had the big jobs like cambelt, gearbox etc done.

You should concentrate less on mileage and far more on condition.

LY 200

Quote: Originally posted by Freebone on 17 March 2005

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

very good milage on those, but i dont spose youve had the belts done yet, thatll be a nice expense
Corse they would have been done or there engines would either be no more or wouldve popped at some stage!!

Its not the milage that f**ks them up mate its the fact they corrode over time which is why they say you should have the timing belt done at either something like 52k or 5 years which ever comes first!!!

Naples 16v

Mines on 74500 (94M) Didnt have much background so I just got the cambelt done for safetys sake - £257 but I think K-Tec do it for about £150ish.

Just do regular checks and maintainance and you should be OK, definately dont rag it from cold, they tend to sound a bit groggy for 5-10 mins in cold weather, much better when it warms up tho.

JayR is right black or Naples are the ones to get, bit more unusual and nicer IMO, I searched for several months for my Naples to get an unadulterated example.

1.8 Civic EX

Mines a 96 N Naples Valver on 53k miles. Only problem has been the flippin clutch cable (gone 3 tmes) and then the actuall clutch. Everything else has been alright, touch wood..... had it for about a year and a half now.

Speed wise.........love it!

xr4x4

Funnily enough i had a run in with a valver this morning...wee bit quicker than the pug, but i had him in the twisties...no bull!

Still want one tho:)

Dave

Quote: Originally posted by JayR on 17 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Freebone on 17 March 2005

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

very good milage on those, but i dont spose youve had the belts done yet, thatll be a nice expense
Corse they would have been done or there engines would either be no more or wouldve popped at some stage!!

Its not the milage that f**ks them up mate its the fact they corrode over time which is why they say you should have the timing belt done at either something like 52k or 5 years which ever comes first!!!
same my belt was changed at 30k n i had it changed again at 59k when i bought it, car has had other probs but most have been mentioned already, jus the nature of the car really lol

Ive yet to see another grey 16v yet, do your valvers all have a low scooby-esc growl at low revs? not heard another one enough to see if this is normal.

I was sat in some traffic esterday next to a monster truck thing and he revved his engine and loud grumble came up so i thought id have a go and mine sounded better than his did, i had to laugh. F1 doing well then.