ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 @ 18 to be my second car (When I've sold my Punto)

ph1 black 172
well i have had both options, i currently have a 172, but in the past i have had a vag 1.8t remapped to 200ish,

i love the 172, but for less squeeks and nicer interior styling i would go vw....

if i had had more money i would have bought a golf mk4 1.8t and remapped it to 225 rather than buying the clio.

coilovers etc can give you awesome handling in most cars.

So what do you all think of having a 172 as a second car with only a years driving experience, is it too much to handle? Did a search and couldn't find anything really about this.

I had mine at 18 and a bit less than 2 years driving experience, as long as you're sensible with it you'll be fine. As said already, it's not an RWD turbo'd monster ready to kill you at every corner.

Ignore what people say about insurance prices aswell, if you can afford it comfortably and you want it then go for it.

iirc it was about 2000 give or a take a few quid average on the comparison sites.. But that's before even shopping around or phoning up etc, my final quote on my current car was £100's cheaper than the best I found online so I've no doubt I'd be able to get insured for £1500-£1750 (well I hope!)

Currently paying £1370 on the punto (all in my own name) with Adrian Flux, and wouldn't want to pay too much more so I guess I'll have to see when the time comes what the insurance is really going to be and if its realistic. Golf is slightly cheaper, but then I'd be looking to map it and no doubt once that's declared it'll go right up! So maybe a quicker standard car would be better.

WANTED Arctic 182
I've had my 182 6 months now and loved every minute of it. Like everyone says, just be sensible with it. I paid £1500 with Bell and I'm 19.

Although it is a great car to drive, moving out is more important to me so I may have to sell next year.

Clio 172
I've had 3 172's and i have had a golf turbo that was remapped by R-tech. It was an AGU engine code so prob around 180 - 190bhp. golf gives you the feeling it's quicker, but in reality it's not and the economy is not as good on the golf compared to the clio. i struggled to ever get 30 mpg outta the golf regardless of how i drove it. Saying that the ride and build quality is alot better on the golf

Never above 25mpg
I'd say go for it. But make sure you can afford to run it and insure it legally under your name. It's a bomb to insure but it's worth it!!

320d
You'll be fine. I find I can drive my 172 much safer than my 1.2 Its a bit quicker yes but its very linear power delievery it doesn't suprise you or anything. Handling is very predictable and a lot better than a 1.2 in my opinion.

I haven't scared myself in my 172 yet.

Just did some more quotes but using confused.com this time..

Golf 1.8T came back as £1500
172 came back as £2500!

If the quotes are still like that when it comes to getting the car, I think it'll definitely have to be the 1.8t! Thought golf was more/clio was less but clearly not haha.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Clio probably has a bad record since its a favourite of boy racers.

I'd try going direct to companies though, comparison websites are a bit expensive ime.

BMW M135I
Just did some more quotes but using confused.com this time..

Golf 1.8T came back as £1500
172 came back as £2500!

If the quotes are still like that when it comes to getting the car, I think it'll definitely have to be the 1.8t! Thought golf was more/clio was less but clearly not haha.
and if you decide to modify (remap) its going to go up way more probably

Im also looking at getting a 172 in the near future,So i got some insurance quotes.Im 19 with 1 YNCB and drive a 1.8 SRI Corsa C now and the cheapest i could find was £2200

Hopefully in the next couple's of months when i give it some more serious thought i will be able to get a cheaper quote because i not willing to pay that much TBH.

Insurance FTL

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Im also looking at getting a 172 in the near future,So i got some insurance quotes.Im 19 with 1 YNCB and drive a 1.8 SRI Corsa C now and the cheapest i could find was £2200

Hopefully in the next couple's of months when i give it some more serious thought i will be able to get a cheaper quote because i not willing to pay that much TBH.

Insurance FTL

f**k, no-one told me serious thinking would reduce my premium, going to start now ready for next years premium :rolleyes:

Not a 320d
That depends on what kind of driver you are. Ask yourself, we dont know you, if your happy paying silly insurance quotes and can actually get insured on one then i say why not. They are not fast cars in fact i would go as far as saying that they are okay.

At 18 i loved cars and wanted one badly but when i added it all up it was a case of, well itll eat all my money and i could just afford to run one. I decided tht sticking with a 1.2 was the best bet and spending my money on going out and trying to mate with as many women as i possibly could was better.

ST
MPG is a funny thing m'dear. Depends how long your journey time is, sitting in stationary traffic, etc. You can have the most economic car in the world, but little things like those can play havoc with your MPG.

LAWL, or if you have/had a 197, early to mid 20's if you're lucky!!

Barge
36 mpg at 70mph on the motorway constant speed - it was boring. LOL!

Mine is 57 plate, perhaps it did have a newer box, but it's had it replaced now anyway with one that doesn't crunch.

ST
Must have had something different from mine, christ, i never got anymore than about 31 on a decent motorway run...tho i did boot its cannt most days!!

Renault Sport Clio 182
my second car was a mk1 valver at 17, then another mk1 hybrid at 18, now a 182 at 20, lesson being, dont drive like a k*ob n u wont crash. (sorry to put you in a stereotypical age group which i hate doing, but thats how insurence companies look at it, 17-21 age group) and if you can afford it/really want it, why not, i allways have.

MCS R56
Go for it...it's the driver who crashes, not the car! (unless a wheel falls off or something)

Although, I wouldn't be paying over a grand on insurance but that's your choice.

im 18 guna be 19 in april and i want a 172 for second car (next car) im drivin a 1.1 puegeot 106 atm lol.. guna be fun cant wait :D xx

Iceberg 172
I had a 220bhp Ibiza 20vt at 18. Didn't kill myself but then again I did learn a lot about driving in my S1 106 XSI.

If you can afford to then do it. From experience a 1.8t golf isn't comparable to a 172. Very different cars. One is s**t and one is possibly the best car I've ever owned.

Yes the golf will remap to just shy of 200bhp but again, from experience BHP figures mean s**t.

Someone at work saw me searching for new insurance and said £650 was alot, put the same car details in for him and it was £2000 or so for the insurance, and a further £2000 excess! So I guess my point is dont ignore the excess on the cheapest quote, most people would struggle to find that if they had a crash.