ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clio 172/182 - Which one to buy? Which model will be worth more in 10 years?

Which Model will be worth more in 10 years?

• 172 cup

Votes: 53 75.7%
  • 182 FF

Votes: 17 24.3%

• Total voters
  Skoda Citigo/Octavia
Hi all,

I believe this is my first ever post on here, i am looking to purchase a 172 or 182 in he next few weeks.

Around 8 years ago i owned a 172 Cup and i still regret selling it and need a Clio Sport back in my life. I was looking at 205 gti's but they are already too expensive.

My work commute is now only 4 miles each way and we use the 'family' Skoda Octavia at weekends. The Clio would only cover around 2000 miles a year so its a good time for me to buy one, i don't think they'll get much cheaper now.

I like both the 172 cup and 182 FF and i am looking to purchase to keep one of these to keep forever!

I have read a number of forums discussing which of the models are best and there doesn't really seem a lot in it but which one of these models do you think will be worth more in 10 years time?

Thanks

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
Cheers,

Well it will still be my daily but be nice knowing its making a few quid at the same time.

My heart says 172 cup so i think I'll need to be patient to find one as i don't want one that had been modified! This isn't going to be easy is it!

182 Turbo
My pref would be a 182FF LY.
Investment with no budget, a V6
Investment with mid budget - a low mileage Trophy
Investment with limited budget a low mileage 172 cup (or maybe a tidy phase 1?)
Im interested as to whether the 172 Cup would actually be an investment , at the price they go for now plus 10 years of ownership costs, thats the belts and dephaser twice, 10 years of MOTs and servicing costs etc. The V6 and Trophy i think undoubtedly would be an investment though. I recon the LY + PB 182's would be at a similar cost to the 172 cup. Only time will tell though

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
Im interested as to whether the 172 Cup would actually be an investment , at the price they go for now plus 10 years of ownership costs, thats the belts and dephaser twice, 10 years of MOTs and servicing costs etc. The V6 and Trophy i think undoubtedly would be an investment though. I recon the LY + PB 182's would be at a similar cost to the 172 cup. Only time will tell though
True, i would 100% be buying the trophy if i get stretch to it but at the moment i only have £3,000 tp spend at the very most.

I am struggling to think of another car for around £2,500 that is as fun and as cheap to maintain as clio that could also make a few quid over the years rather than just becoming worthless.

Some people suggested a Ford Puma, apparently a great handling car but not sure they'll be worth much in 10 years? Plus i am not overly keen on the looks.

Cheers

182 Turbo
True, i would 100% be buying the trophy if i get stretch to it but at the moment i only have £3,000 tp spend at the very most.

I am struggling to think of another car for around £2,500 that is as fun and as cheap to maintain as clio that could also make a few quid over the years rather than just becoming worthless.

Some people suggested a Ford Puma, apparently a great handling car but not sure they'll be worth much in 10 years? Plus i am not overly keen on the looks.

Cheers
I would say definitely go for a 182 FF with that money then, at that budget it'll probably be a modified high mileage 172 Cup, but you could get a lower mileage well looked after 182 in one of the more desirable colours like Racing Blue for the added pinch of appreciation

2004 Racing Blue 182
I was surprised how little the 172 Cup goes for to be honest.

I was in the same boat choice wise, but for different reasons. I’m not bothered by resale value at the minute, more about fun factor and budget constraints. I decided that as a daily and coming from a fully loaded golf GTi, I would miss the creature comforts like climate control, and, Xenons etc that the cup jand st doesn’t have. Admittedly, I got luck my with my RB182 FF but it was always going to be a 182FF over a Cup.

I do still have a soft spot for the Cup though.

As a curve ball, what about a Mk1 1.8 16v? Be difficult sourcing one but I think they are due a price hike as they are few and far between nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
With a budget of £3k I think all you can do is limit depreciation, you haven't got a hope of making money, unless you take a blinkered approach and ignore all costs incurred and stop calling it 'an investment'.

At the end of the day all Renaultsport models are immense fun. Buy one and enjoy driving it, don't get caught up in the financial side of things, it's just not worth the effort for 99% of folk.

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
As a curve ball, what about a Mk1 1.8 16v? Be difficult sourcing one but I think they are due a price hike as they are few and far between nowadays.

Never driven one but love the look, great looking car. However, having owned the 172 cup i just know how much i love it and know i won't have any regrets.

Definately considering the 182 FF as well though, i still think the'll rise in value but just not quite as much as 172 cup. I love race blue but seems nearly all of them are modified as well. I just don't want to make the mistake of buying the 182FF and then in 10 years time seeing the 172 worth twice as much!

I had a Miami Blue 205 gti 10 years ago that i sold for £1,200 which is now worth a small fortune, i just don't want to make the same mistake again :)

Cheers

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
to find a nice rust free mk1 16v would be an almost impossible task imo. a nice 172 cup would be me choice, im biased though as it was my choice. i did own one new in 2003 and wanted another one. i also owned a new clio 1.8 16v in 1995 and loved it, had it for 5 years. then a williams 3, which is the car i regret selling the most as it was mint and low miles.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Im interested as to whether the 172 Cup would actually be an investment

I was surprised how little the 172 Cup goes for to be honest.

With a budget of £3k I think all you can do is limit depreciation, you haven't got a hope of making money, unless you take a blinkered approach and ignore all costs incurred and stop calling it 'an investment'.

Dont forget he said he wants to keep this forever- even if that's an inevitable exaggeration, its still a long term investment. Doing 2k a year is going to keep any current low mileage car as low mileage. All cars become classics FULLSTOP. doesnt matter what they are - a mint low mileage Chevette is worth a lot more than it would have sold for at its lowest value 20? years ago. Now take the most sort after version of that old car and that value multiplies. The most sort after clios will be the 3 I listed above.
You also cant take running costs in to account with 99% of 'investment' cars, the idea is that you pay to use/repair the car, but dont loose money or make money on its overall value. However, as running/repair costs go, a Clio is down the bottom of the list of cost.

MK1 Clio 16v or a Williams 1... I kick myself everytime I think about them for not buying the ones I was offered. Very rare cars now and lean more towards your old 205 GTi ?

However if you don't fancy a project, then just go with a 172 Cup. Almost standard examples pop up quite often and are cheap when they need a bit of love, and you could use some of the money you have in the budget for that.

What are you planning to use the car for?

Valvers are few and far between now, perhaps rarer than Williams (all versions combined) but they get no love because they're not a Williams :neutral: Perhaps when the cars-as-an-investment bubble bursts Williams will come down in price again, and match valvers, but I doubt it.

It's like the 205/309 thing - one's highly rated and sought after, the other's an apparent ugly duckling that is rarer than hen's teeth, still a decent drive and nearly impossible to find, but still a lot cheaper than the first one...

Ford Pumas are also unloved, despite being a great drive (from everything I've read). They are now basically all rusted into piles of iron oxide, an engine and four wheels, as who's going to spend £3k+++ for a strip-down, bare-shell respray when the car will only be worth £1500 tops when it's done? Valvers are going the same way too.

At least the one good thing about Williams being silly prices is that they'll get some resto work (because it will actually improve the value) and more will be around in the long term, but whether they ever see the light of day and used be enthusiasts or get tucked away under a cover in a storage unit, it's hard to say...

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
MK1 Clio 16v or a Williams 1... I kick myself everytime I think about them for not buying the ones I was offered. Very rare cars now and lean more towards your old 205 GTi ?

However if you don't fancy a project, then just go with a 172 Cup. Almost standard examples pop up quite often and are cheap when they need a bit of love, and you could use some of the money you have in the budget for that.

What are you planning to use the car for?

So much love for the Williams, always got a thumbs up from them whenever they were driving alongside my pug!

TBH, it will be used 4 days a week for an 8 mile round trip and then the odd trip at the weekend as well as a Sunday blast whenever i have the time. Not looking at a prokect or a track day car and will always keep the car stock. I would rarely take any of my children in the vehicle, i would take the Octavia for that.

It just seems the perfect vehicle for me, i love hot hatches (the older ones) its Ok economy wise and seems fairly cheap to maintain? On top of that it should only go up in value!

I could i guess just buy a £1,000 fiesta or 106 etc but i'd hardly save anything from doing that and have a lot less fun of course!!!

seems fairly cheap to maintain? On top of that it should only go up in value!

Just remember they are all getting very tired now. Suspension, running gear, every rubber mount will be worn to bits, exhausts usually are all knackered or poorly fitted, then some decent tyres, belts, worn out interior and trims and the cosmetic lights/paintwork/wheels and so on. Add 12 months road tax and I wouldn't ever call a long ownership with a Renault Sport Clio cheap unless you genuinely have no idea about cars or don't give a s**t lol

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
172 Cup, all the way. It's the most 'special' Clio after the Trophy (and V6). So many have been modified and turned into track cars, that they will become more and more rare in standard form. Will it ever be worth millions? Probably not but, as they get older and more rare, the price will creep upwards, so you might make a little bit, or at least lose less than you would with other cars.

I absolutely love mine, one of my favourites from my car history. Mine is rough around the edges but it was cheap and high mileage so I am happy to give it some grief. They're great cars though. In reality, a 1*2 of any kind is probably just as fun, but the Cup and Trophy are going to be the ones that people really covet in years to come.

182 Turbo
To have a mint low mileage 172 cup in 10 years , you need to buy one now with low miles and mint (obviously)
The OP doesn't have the budget for it. Buy a clean lowish mileage 182 FF now with your budget and look after it, because in 10 years a mint condition 182 FF with 50k miles is still gunna be worth more than a rough 160k miles 172 cup

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Never buy a car with the hope to make money unless it's truly something special. Buy it to enjoy, and chances are if well looked after and cared for, it'll return your investment and maybe make a profit as well. I've bought and sold many, many cars over the years and have never approached any purchase hoping to make money, but have enjoyed owning the majority of those cars along the way. For instance my LY182 was one of the most expensive 182's on the market, however I've since had messages from people saying if I considered selling it to contact them even at the price I paid which was high on paper, but in reality I think was fine.

The Trophy models will always be in demand, however the problem I'm foreseeing is they are not all in the hands of true enthusiasts, or mature owners, therefor when the Sachs dampers need replacing, they'll be thrown away and changed for coilovers etc - essentially making it the same as a regular 182 and loosing a lot of its value in the process. Thats why you can find tired Trophy's for £5k and mint low mileage ones for £10k+ (I looked at a couple prior to buying the LY).

Cups I dont really see a massive demand for over a normal model when you consider the fact that in 10 years standard examples are going to almost be non-existent for all the 172/182 models (v6 excluded) as they are cheap enough for anyone to buy, and decent enough for enthusiasts to want. I think any truly mint, near standard or tastefully modified 172/182 will be decent money in years to come, but none are going to be able to pay off your mortgage :p lol.

Clio Trophy
Drive them and enjoy them. They'll never lose money now.

Unless you were lucky enough to own a Clio V6, 993, e30 M3 etc. when they were cheap, don't expect much in the way of investment.

My Trophy is approaching 100k miles and I'm glad I can use it with no guilt. A 20k miler sounds nice but it's such a waste of a car that's meant to be thrashed.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Agreed.

For sure I’m a bit ocd where I park. But having a car you can’t enjoy because it may get dirty is a waste imo

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
A 172 cup would be best but in 10 years time there will be hardly any 1*2’s left so as long as it was in good condition with no rust the values will be similar imo, find the best example you can for your budget.

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
Thanks all,

Well i found what appeared to be a beauty a few days ago but already sold as expected. 2002, 172 cup, 70k miles, completely standard and was Trade as well, only £2,500!

Someone suggested a Ford Puma as an alternative if i am looking for a fun car to drive that won't break the bank but i'm not keen on the looks and finding one without rust could prove almost impossible. They are, however, very cheap and much easier to find them in 'standard' form.

Anyone had any experience with a Puma 1.7? Clarskon said the handling was like the 106 gti which i would be more than happy with!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Thanks all,

Well i found what appeared to be a beauty a few days ago but already sold as expected. 2002, 172 cup, 70k miles, completely standard and was Trade as well, only £2,500!

Someone suggested a Ford Puma as an alternative if i am looking for a fun car to drive that won't break the bank but i'm not keen on the looks and finding one without rust could prove almost impossible. They are, however, very cheap and much easier to find them in 'standard' form.

Anyone had any experience with a Puma 1.7? Clarskon said the handling was like the 106 gti which i would be more than happy with!

A friend has a Puma 1.7 that he uses for track days. He picked up a 50k one with only two owners and a mountain of history for a whole £300. Another friend has also had a couple. They are great cars to be honest. They're not quick by any means, but the 1.7 lump feels revvy and willing, and the gear change makes a Clio feel like a tractor. The chassis is very, very good. They're a great car to drive. Criticisms for me would be rust, cramped interior and the fact that standard ones don't look all that. In FRP form, they look stunning, but they're big money and the conversion is a PITA.

Good cars though, very underrated.

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
A friend has a Puma 1.7 that he uses for track days. He picked up a 50k one with only two owners and a mountain of history for a whole £300. Another friend has also had a couple. They are great cars to be honest. They're not quick by any means, but the 1.7 lump feels revvy and willing, and the gear change makes a Clio feel like a tractor. The chassis is very, very good. They're a great car to drive. Criticisms for me would be rust, cramped interior and the fact that standard ones don't look all that. In FRP form, they look stunning, but they're big money and the conversion is a PITA.

Good cars though, very underrated.
Thanks for info,

Yea the Puma Racing looks really nice compared to the standard Puma, prices gone through the roof though!

I'll keep an eye out as i feel i could end up with the Puma plus 2 grand left in my pocket, be nice to have for any needed repairs.

Any idea on reliability? Is a Puma more reliable than a Clio and will it cost less to fix most of the time?

Thanks

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
No problem. Yeah, FRP prices are mad now. Lovely things though.

Parts prices are very Ford-esque, so pretty cheap generally. Cam belt is much simpler than on a Clio so saves some money there. They seem fairly reliable. My friends haven't had any major issues. Rust is your biggest enemy. There's plenty of scope for parts interchangeability with other Fords if you want to make some simple upgrades. Later cars (around 2000/01 onwards) have 260mm front brakes instead of 240mm, which was much needed. Fitting 280mm brakes from a Mondeo V6 gives a nice increase in stopping power, while retaining OEM looks. They'll fit under most of the factory wheels, apart from the pre-face lift fan blades, which are awful anyway. If you want more power, a set of cams, an exhaust manifold and some mapping will unleash a few more ponies and make it sound pretty fruity. Thunder and Millennium are the models to look out for. Thunder has leather, Millennium has leather Recaros and these will probably be the most collectable after the FRP.

Another option to consider is the Fiesta Zetec-S of a similar vintage. Not quite as quick as the Puma but the chassis is every bit as good and the looks might be a bit more to your taste. The 1.7 engine can be fitted very easily too.

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks all,

I bought that car, its lovely and completely un-molested. Needs a few things done to it but I'm in for the long run on this.

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
I bought that car, its lovely and completely un-molested. Needs a few things done to it but I'm in for the long run on this.
Morning mate,

What an absolute steal! Unfortunately for me i wasn't able to see the car til the weekend so lost out. Hope its as good as it looked in the pics, can't be many around like that one. I do hope another pops up