ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 alternator replacement

BlackGold 182
Good afternoon,

I have left my clio 172 stood still all over winter and had a dead battery, replaced battery but now alternator is getting extremely hot and smoking.

How hard is it to replace alternator and belt?

Is a 2003 with air con

BlackGold 182
Found the guide thank you, looks easy enough.

Do you know if any alternator from a 172 with air con will work?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
All 172s with air con and every 182 alternator will fit, they're all the 110 amp version
only one that won't is the 172 Cup as that was 75 amp and had different mounting points.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Just make sure you have a jubilee clip for the tensioner. Easy enough to replace. Need to do mine when I get chance too

BlackGold 182
Lastly guys if I were to replace just the belt how hard is it to see the route of the belt to replace?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Pretty easy to see it. Take the drivers side wheel off and you can get good access. If it all goes to s**t take the top engine mount and dogbone off and jack the engine a bit to get more space. This is the route
98B4AD40-A2D1-4E76-ADC2-7FD6D9774CF5.jpeg

Can someone point me in the direction of the guide to replace the alternator (172 Cup) had a search of and a look through the guides section but unable to locate it. thanks!