ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cams etc

I am using a unichip. Before the cams, with head/manifold work power was 193bhp and torque 190lb/ft. I havent had it remapped since fitting the cams as we had to work on mechanical problems. I will be doing this in a couple of weeks.

The most noticeable improvement is a massive increase in torque which is exactly what I needed for track use.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

I know how every one rates the Unichip massively, but......they really are very high figures with just head/manifold work. What RR did you use?

Roamers TBs was 197lb/ft torque (i think)

mk2 172

all this torque is leaving me gasping to get my vts back from its trip to the tuners, not expecting much more power but a great torque increse across the revs, but people down the pub dont understand that:(

keep up the good work

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Quote: Originally posted by chris172 on 06 February 2004

Roamers TBs was 197lb/ft torque (i think)
Just remembered...that was a V6 at the last RR day at Power engineering.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

we use a system similar to unichip, called an SMT6, I highly rate this type of system as they are the next best thing to a fully mappable stand along ECU, and therfore generally get better results, especially on lesser developed cars like the 172

we can indeed undertake the rr work and mapping as well as the head work etc etc.

I will let you know what the BHP figs are with the cams and zorst and filter......

Andy

GDI

totally agree, mid range drivability etc are much more important than out and out BHP figures.....

Lionel Richie

Roamers was 170lbs/ft and 212bhp

Phillip!!! Bloody hell thats a MASSIVE torque figure!!!! Im not having a go or anything, but just curious as to which rolling road that was done on????

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 07 February 2004

Roamers was 170lbs/ft and 212bhp

Phillip!!! Bloody hell thats a MASSIVE torque figure!!!! Im not having a go or anything, but just curious as to which rolling road that was done on????

I can belive that 212hp sound very reasonable. Also since you usually get about the same Hp as torque out of petrols 170 for 212hp would be about right. After all its only 15lb more than stock isnt it?

170lb its what 80hp dci get after a £500 remaps. I love diesels

This was measured at Millway racing near Andover before the cams. Im about to have the car remapped over the next 10 days after the cams at another unichip dealer (probably crawley) so I will confirm again the exact result. In any event you can very easily feel the difference as the car pulls heavily in 4th/5th gears.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 06 February 2004

we use a system similar to unichip, called an SMT6, I highly rate this type of system as they are the next best thing to a fully mappable stand along ECU, and therfore generally get better results, especially on lesser developed cars like the 172

we can indeed undertake the rr work and mapping as well as the head work etc etc.

I will let you know what the BHP figs are with the cams and zorst and filter......

Andy

GDI

totally agree, mid range drivability etc are much more important than out and out BHP figures.....

Andy...would it be possible to do power figures for just the zorst and filter, and then also with the cam.

Ive got a SMT-6 at home waiting to be fitted (provided I dont sell the car) was a bargain at 50 quid

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

sorry, the cams are fitted now....

next time we get one in I will see if we can get a power run done with just those.

all the best guys

Andy

GDI

Jigme, pmd you back.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

you can feel its running lean with the cams as they are without the ECU controller..... runs out of puff even driving gently when they come "on cam".... so cant emphasis enough the importance of getting the fueling right etc...

p.s. we gave it a run up the road to check everything... 1/2 throttle so no danger to engine as there was not loading...

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

yep, 23bhp increase...... 12 from the ECU map....

mid range power is up lots.... pull much harder through the whole rev range to 6500 rpm (max power)....

much more responsive..... much better and faster car to drive now...

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

Customer emailed me:

Hi Andy,

The 172 drives greeeeat, love the new mid range power, used it to great effect driving home yesterday! I think I upset the driver of a Jaguar x who was on my tail on the motorway I dropped a gear and pulled away from him, then slowed down to within the legal speed limit. After that he was hounding me even more for another show down but I never gave it to him as the battle was all ready won!!

happy chappy

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

So come on Andy, what kind of money are we looking?

Ball park, so we can start saving would be good :)

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Funny how people always ask what the bhp increase is etc. Thought Torque was more important and where it peaks rather than top bhp figure.

Looks like I will be getting my work done by Andy when I can get all the pieces needed together. Good work.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

pm me for quotes guys.... not so keen on ball park figures as each job end up being different due to different requirment... however you can be assured of value and massive attention to detail.

peak torque is at 4500 with cams and map.... about 170 lt lbs on last engine we did... big boost mid range really... was down about 25 ft/lbs on that as standard... he was pleased