ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup - MOT failure rear brakes

clio 172 cup
I know this is an old subject but my Clio 172 cup just failed on low efforts on the rear brakes and handbrake. This seems to happen to me nearly every year (I have had it nearly 10 years!) and even with the pdf notice regarding the pre determined load efforts of it's load sensor and foot note about low efforts on the rear. I always seem to get into a bit of a stalemate with the garage. My rear calipers were re-furbished last year and they agree the calipers, discs and pads are fine and want to investigate further to see if the load sensor is knackered. Can VOSA give the correct % pass on the rears if I ask them to phone, or should I just take it somewhere else? any help appreciated. Just reallly fustrated again!

I've known another garage like this pal. They tend not to believe anyone despite the VOSA notice (some do though)

My advice, take it elsewhere perhaps. However they make look at the history / previous fail info and start being picky...

If you end up in the same disagreement, just walk away.

clio 172 cup
Thanks, it's so hit and miss. The guy I have used for the last few years has disapeared from my usual garage, so this is the first time it's happened in a while. I am getting another garage I trust to double check the rear brakes and maybe flush them out and check the rear load sensor is working properly before I go back. I have tried to contact VOSA to see if they can give me the official acceptable % brake efficiency on the rear brakes. I seem to remember total braking figures quoted by Renault as 52%. Does anyone know for sure? any amunition helpful. Yeah if they won't budge, I will just try somewere else.

clio 172 cup
They did not print me the figures unfortunately, just the low effort on rear brakes, handbrake etc.
I should have asked really, but was to busy trying to reason with them.

You can fill out one of these https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/complain-about-an-mot
I had a car fail on items i knew where a pass.
Vosa call you up and book the mot at a local garage near you at a time you can drive the car there.
They retest the car themselves(ministry of transport) using the garages mot bay.
If the car passes you dont have to pay anything and the original garage that failed the car gets points on its mot licence,has to do a refresher course.

clio 172 cup
Thanks for all your replies, I am going to see if I can get VOSA to give me the official acceptable % brake efficiency on the rear brakes then try to get them to phone VOSA on Friday. They are 'usually' a great garage and maybe it's just an inexperienced tester. I will keep you posted.

Mondial Blue 172 Cup
I made mine pass last year by spending about 10 minutes hitting the load sensor with a hammer and fastening it all the way up with cable ties. Still cable tied up now actually. I'll hit it with a hammer again when my MOT is due.

tomsteer

ClioSport Club Member
I've ended up taking mine to a Renault garage before, passed fine after being failed elsewhere.
I've contacted VOSA for guidance before got an auto email confirming they'd received my email then another a few weeks later saying they would look into it then silence! I think I was getting about 10% effort on the rears.

first time I took my cup to my usual garage I explained to them the visa exemption on the rear effort. They called me back a fee hours later confirming what I told them and in 3 years never been failed on brake effort. It helps if you know your garage well, I've used the same one for over 10 years and know the owner very well now. I even shared a maternity suit with the assistant manager this year when we both had babies at the same time, was a bit weird tbf though:smiley:. I'm just a firm believer in establishing good relations with your garage as they are always upfront and honest. They are a little more expensive than some but I've never been ripped off and they'll always show me what's in need of replacement when I'm at the garage.

clio 172 cup
Bit of an update that might be helpful to others. I just spoke to a very helpful lady at DVSA an the engeneers notes for the clio 172 cup 2004 are as follows: The Clio 172 cup rear brakes average 30kg but can go as low as 10kg as long as they are in balance. This info is available on the phone, but can be requested in writing via email. I will get my garage to phone them up when I take it back on Friday. Fingers crossed.

renault clio 172
you could also ask the garage to do a driving brake test using there portable brake tester its just driving up the road a 20mph and slam on the brakes and handbrake separately and the dials give a % reading not a kg of force reading

Williams 2172cup197
Testers seem to be more concerned in an inbalance between left and right!! Mine failed on the rears at my nearest test station even though I pointed out the vosa PDFs had to fiddle with load compensator and remove a steel brake pipe gently poke hole with a small pick until brake fluid started trickling out!!! Bled brakes and took it to another testing station!! Some testers are very blinkered!!

clio 172 cup
Hi, after taking it to another garage who have been really helpful, they think the load sensor is seized/blocked (you could turn the rear wheel by hand with either the pedal down and the handbrake on) and is being replaced today. Hopefully this should sort the brake flow to the rear end and I can forget about it until next year!

clio 172 cup
Hi All, thanks for all the replys and suggestions, they really helped. Yeah, I know what you mean about the park brake not being related to the sensor at all, but I looked at it with them and there was hardly any effort from the handbrake at all, and the calipers were refurbish by Big Red less than a year ago and are all good. Anyway a new load sensor and flush and some new hand brake cables and all is fine and I have my MOT at last. There is a big noticable difference in the braking. I know the rears don't do a lot, but I can actually feel them pulling at the back now. The amount of rear brake grief I have had over the 10 years I have owned my cup is mad, good job it always puts a smile on my face when I go for a drive.

See my thread in this section pal...

Going through a similar issue now!

I would like to know how they got on with removing the brake lines from the old compensator... mine are proving to be a nightmare 😧

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
See my thread in this section pal...

Going through a similar issue now!

I would like to know how they got on with removing the brake lines from the old compensator... mine are proving to be a nightmare 😧
give them a little heat and they'll come undone no problem at all :)