ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 engine noise?

2003 Clio 172
I had the engine running on my 172 today with the bonnet open and thought maybe the engine sounded a bit rattly or tappy. Maybe I'm imaging things as dephaser was done around 10k ago along with full top end rebuild. It sounds like it's coming more from the top of the engine, but perhaps they all sound like this. I've uploaded some videos here :

I've also noticed my coolant reservoir bubbling slightly. I hope to god this isn't the head gasket as again this was replaced when the top end was rebuilt:
https://youtu.be/a8ny7gDe7KQ
Any advice would be welcome.

Last edited:
  PH2 172
Sounds normal for a phone video.(Awfull)
You could treat it to an oil change for peace of mind.
Mine makes a bit of injector noise, but is otherwise quiet, and sounds like this

Attachments

• video-2018-03-06-16-18-58.zip
    9 MB · Views: 71
  2003 Clio 172
Sounds normal for a phone video.(Awfull)
You could treat it to an oil change for peace of mind.
Mine makes a bit of injector noise, but is otherwise quiet, and sounds like this

Yeah, it's difficult to get decent sound quality on a phone for sure. I'll be getting an oil change done soon using Elf 5w40 as don't know when previous owner last changed. Any ideas about the bubbling coolant? It's only a small stream if bubbles near the overflow pipe from the coolant reservoir. I'm thinking it may be air in the system or perhaps I overfilled it slightly when I topped it up?

PH2 172
Yeah, it's difficult to get decent sound quality on a phone for sure. I'll be getting an oil change done soon using Elf 5w40 as don't know when previous owner last changed. Any ideas about the bubbling coolant? It's only a small stream if bubbles near the overflow pipe from the coolant reservoir. I'm thinking it may be air in the system or perhaps I overfilled it slightly when I topped it up?
TBH I`ve never studied the goings on in my expansion tank.
If the level is constant, there`s no oil in the coolant, and no coolant in the oil, I`m happy.
Did that file open?

2003 Clio 172
TBH I`ve never studied the goings on in my expansion tank.
If the level is constant, there`s no oil in the coolant, and no coolant in the oil, I`m happy.
Did that file open?
No, my phone said file format not supported for some reason .
Don't appear to be losing any coolant, engine temperature sits happily at half way and there's no mayonnaise on my filler cap or oil in my coolant. Maybe I just need to chill out and enjoy the car lol

2003 Clio 172
File opened for me @STEVE.M

@Sebastian Price you just need to go into your file explorer on your phone / computer and unzip and the file. Should do it on it's own accord

Anyway engine sounds fine to me, could be worse ...

Thanks for that.
Yeah, that one does not sound healthy. Is it yours?
I'm going to book car into Renatec in Bristol for an oil change, hopefully next week. While it's there I'll ask them if they can investigate the stream of bubbles in my coolant reservoir. I did notice that the radiator fan is not kicking in even after car has been idling for ages so that probably isn't helping.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I did notice that the radiator fan is not kicking in even after car has been idling for ages so that probably isn't helping.
You'll need the engine running at 2-2500 rpm for 15 mins or so to get the fan to kick in, I found this out when I did a coolant change.

While it's there I'll ask them if they can investigate the stream of bubbles in my coolant reservoir.
Where is the stream of bubbles coming from? Is it coolant running back through the top hose of the expansion tank creating bubbles? Mine does this when hot. Assumed it was normal :grimacing::smile:.

2003 Clio 172
You'll need the engine running at 2-2500 rpm for 15 mins or so to get the fan to kick in, I found this out when I did a coolant change.

Where is the stream of bubbles coming from? Is it coolant running back through the top hose of the expansion tank creating bubbles? Mine does this when hot. Assumed it was normal :grimacing::smile:.

Yes, there does seem to be a stream of bubbles between the top smaller hose and the tank. The bottom video on my first post shows it (although quality isn't great unfortunately). Fingers crossed it is normal then.

2003 Clio 172
No it isn't mine thankfully, saw it on here recently.

The fan takes a while to kick in but I assume you've been watching the gauge and not letting it overheat? Unless your CTS is on the blink
Yes, keeping an eye on the gauge and it never really goes above half, even after idling for 20 mins or so after driving. Is the CTS the temperature sensor?