ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO 172 FIRE (THE END)!!

Dont know if you remember but I had a small issue with my 172 in that it ended up setting itself on fire at 1.30 in the morning and ended up being a total write off. For those of you that dont know just search under 172 fire and you should find all of the pics!

Any way 5 months have passed since then and not only do I have a cracking 3 month old young lad but this little beauty arrived last Thursday!!

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1097182364__IMGP0242.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1097182739__IMGP0243.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1097182779__IMGP0244.jpg

Apologies for the poor pics but Im sure there will be many more on the way. I have only done 350 miles so far but boy does this thing have some poke!! Been trying not to treat her too hard but wanted to run her in with a bit more authority than I did the 172 as I always felt the performance was a bit shy.

Tops marks to the guys at Renault for a cracking bit of customer service as well.

ps to Renault.. Im sure your designers are already on with this but please please please please put this engine in a Clio!! It pulls like a train in the Megane so the Clio would be awesome!

[Edited by Moose1978 on 07 October 2004 at 10:09pm]

Looking good mate, the colour looks different to what I thought it would do.

With regard to the engine in a Clio tho, I wish it was going to happen but there is no way we are going to be able to buy a 2.0 T Clio for quite some time. The next incarnation of the RenaultSport Clio will be NA again.

Glad you got it all sorted mate.

I never realised what difference a turbo makes. I always new that they gave more torque etc etc but when you translate this into the real wold you are doing 40 in 4th, plant your right foot and the thing takes off like you are in second. If this thing has 225 I would love a go in a Clio with this engine!

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Even as a 5 door that looks mint. Its big enough to pull off 5 doors anyway.

Happy motoring chief.

Looks great! Ive got one on order right now to replace the 172 - in Arctic blue with full leather, climate and xenons added. I really like the Inferno colour but went for the Arctic in the end.

Can I ask how long you had to wait from time of order? Mine has been confirmed for exactly 2 months from date of order from the factory. Just wondered if these have a habit of slipping or if pretty accurate?

Mine was 10 weeks at time of order and it ended up being 14. The dealer seemed like he was in the dark a bit because he didnt know it was arriving until it rolled off a transporter! I think you have to cross your fingers and pray!

Clio 197

Quote: Originally posted by Moose1978 on 07 October 2004

Hows yours going Omar?

[Edited by Moose1978 on 07 October 2004 at 10:35pm]

Fine! Awsome pull, yet quiet and comfy-ish (profile is too low on tyres me thinks).

Not used a single drop of oil yet. Turbo sounds ACE!

11500 miles (I did 10k of them). Fuel economy is not quite clio territory.... but the clio is not quite 225 territory in torque & pull.

Few little niggles like a/c drain pipe leaking into footwell, and somewhat noisy front offside suspension - all sortable under warranty.

Last but not least - would it be a renault without rattles on bumps? Its a bigger car, and the shell isnt quite as tight, so expect a bit of movement - especially the headlining (due to 6 lights, and curtain airbags)

Mine was 10 weeks at time of order and it ended up being 14. The dealer seemed like he was in the dark a bit because he didnt know it was arriving until it rolled off a transporter! I think you have to cross your fingers and pray!

Thanks for that! I guess you suffered at the hands of the August shutdown if you just received yours now - may explain the extra 4 weeks.

Fingers are crossed...Id really like it this year but if it slips much it wont happen.

Petrol Blue 182

Mate that really is beautiful didnt realise u could get them in 5 door!! As for the colour...WOW!!!

You will have to be quick with that fire extinguisher !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a link directly to the fire station if I was you.

Meg on pistonheads £6995

ACE - want 1

its top of my shopping list to replace the wifes dull estate car

- she wants a Zafira GSi - fab but a bit bus shaped!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by 182 sport on 08 October 2004

Didnt realise how much faster it really is compared to the 182
i dont think it is mate, I have had a play with one off the lights and it really was pretty even at lowish speeds, you sure you werent in your 172;)

When a 182/172 gets going (ie up in the 4,5 or 6 thousand rev range the performance difference would be quite small in my opinion. My 172 was a little rocket when you pushed it hard enough but this thing requires no stiring of the gearbox to get the performance. You pay for this with poor consumption but when you are doing 40 in 4th and floor it, it feels like you have a Saturn 5 rocket strapped to the back.

ps to Omar...I agree mate the turbo sounds awesome!!! Driving through tunnels are awesome!

My old man has had his 182 for about 2 months and you really do have to drive a 225 to appreciate the difference. At the end of the day they are two totally different cars designed for different things but on a straight drag the 225 would eat a 172 or 182. On a twisty B road I think it would be a lot closer!

[Edited by Moose1978 on 09 October 2004 at 8:00pm]

Clio 197

Good to know youve got the Turbo whistling already...

It has two two sounds hasnt it.... Upto about 4k it has a non traditional whistle, then at 4k the sound changes to a nice normal whistle.

Apparently its some type of turbo, thats not been used often before. It has two parts to it: one is spinning all the time, to give instant boost, the other takes over once the cars going.... So, no lag.

Enjoy!!

PS Whats your idling like..... ? Mines not smooth, but then its a highly tuned engine, so I guess theres nothing to worry about?

Did you have to pay reno extra or did they just give you it as a good will jesture? ;) Looks good but I think it could do with that spoiler that goes around the window to take out the big ass look.

Ford Fiesta

very nice, you planning on getting the tilt sensor add onfor the standard alarm to protect the wheels etc?

Clio 197

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 09 October 2004

very nice, you planning on getting the tilt sensor add onfor the standard alarm to protect the wheels etc?

Didnt realise you could get that... tell me more..

Ford Fiesta

it was in the latest renault mag, they have brought it out as a £100 option I think, Id be getting it if it was for my car!

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by cliopower on 09 October 2004

Did you have to pay reno extra or did they just give you it as a good will jesture? ;) Looks good but I think it could do with that spoiler that goes around the window to take out the big ass look.
Yeah I agree. Ive never been a fan of the Meganes looks, but I think those pictures of yours are converting me...! Love the colour - and you still have that Renault Sport badge. God I wish the 172/182 had a turbo...

Nice car mate, love that colour!

I have just gone from a 172 Cup to a Leon Cupra R 225 and am loving the turbo boost. You ride along on a total wave of torque. A totally different and more laid back driving experience. I usually drop it into 5th gear to overtake ;) Dont know what tuning options are around for the Megane but I will soon be investing in some Revo software for the ECU. An extra 70 bhp fpr £500 and you even get a switch box to turn the car back to standard when you come to sell it. Totally undetectable to insurance companies as well. The beauty of turbo cars is they are soooo tuneable.

Lionel Richie

but please please please please put this engine in a Clio!! It pulls like a train in the Megane so the Clio would be awesome!
thats what im doing!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 10 October 2004

but please please please please put this engine in a Clio!! It pulls like a train in the Megane so the Clio would be awesome!
thats what im doing!!!
Ive just got the latest Evo through with the new Astra VXR (or what ever it is called) and the new Golf GTi. Both are pumping out 240bhp and 200 bhp respectively with turbo charged 2 litre engines. Surely, they have to put this engine in the Clio to keep up!!??

ps.. Had a 172 cup up my ass all the way home tonight (dont know if it was anyone on here). Got onto the slip road for the M1 and floored it (well I have done 640 miles so bugger the running in). Was doing 110 by the time I hit the motorway and then had to slow down due to the smile!!! ;-) I thought it might have been someone on here because got a good flash and wave as he pulled off at the next junction