ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Full Fat Sale Advice

RenaultSport Clio 172
Hi guys

I've come to sell beloved Clio 172 Iceberg Silver (Full Fat) and need some advice before doing so.

My girlfriend has been driving it for a while and as such the car needs some cosmetics doing to it; it's an '02 with 106k on the clock and FSH but it has a couple of long scratches down the passenger side due to some little gits scratching - they run from the rear side panel to the front one.

Aren't too deep and would cost about £150.00 to get done based on the guy who did my old man's. Also it wants a shocker and a bit of TLC on the wheels (been quoted £140 for all the wheels doing). It's not modded other than an Alpine head unit and some silver visions on the sideblinkers.

My question is, should I spend on getting the bits done or just put it up for sale "as is"? I'm very straight about things like this so expect a fair price and equally fair representation in price for the work that needs doing.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
It is a full fat 172 but anyway thats for another thread,

Its up to you, The way i'd look at it is if you spend £500 on it, are you gonna be able to sell it for £500 more, if the answer is no then i'd sell it at a reduced price with that in mind and for gods sake tell people who ring up about everything. Nothing more annoying than when you get "oh its in mint condition mate" only to get there and its got scratches and dings all over it.

I also love how you blame your missus driving it for the work needing doing lol.

Westy. MX5
I would put it up for sale as it is on Pistonheads, it's free if you have registered. Leave it there for a couple of weeks and see if you get any offers. Always be prepared to negotiate. Someone who is looking for a project should be interested. If no joy then think of PX'ing with a dealer, not very the best way to buy and sell bank account wise but they will always have some sort of deal. Fixing all the faults can go on and on and you don't know when to stop spending. Good luck.

Iceberg 172
What sort of money are you expecting for it?

With 106k miles I don't think any potential buyers would be expecting a mint car as long as it's reasonably priced.

If you're wanting top money for it then yeah, get it done.

You never know, a mechanic might buy it and get it all done cheaply, so you win as it's saved you a load of hassle and he's won as he'll get a bargain.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
It is a full fat 172 but anyway thats for another thread,

Its up to you, The way i'd look at it is if you spend £500 on it, are you gonna be able to sell it for £500 more, if the answer is no then i'd sell it at a reduced price with that in mind and for gods sake tell people who ring up about everything. Nothing more annoying than when you get "oh its in mint condition mate" only to get there and its got scratches and dings all over it.

I also love how you blame your missus driving it for the work needing doing lol.

No, its not.

Iceberg 172
Full Fat is a made up term anyway so I don't understand why people get so stressed by the term "172 FF"!!!???

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Because it causes mass confusion to new members. There is no need for it. How hard is it to write i have a Cup packed 182, really?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
gaz-kev, the issue is referring to any 172 as full fat, not calling a cup packed 182 full fat.

To some people, theres no such thing as a full fat 172.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
According to a poll on here, you're a moron if you think there is a 172FF

RenaultSport Clio 172
Cheers for the advice guys, I'll check it out and get some firm repair costs in writing, let ya know how we get on.

As for the FF stuff, I'm easy either way - makes no difference to me :0)

@tyranical - she deffo has no concept of the bodyworking like I do, if it got keyed on a Friday night I'd have had it fixed Saturday! She; not so - still she looks good in it!

320d
I'd leave it to be honest. With that mileage you'll be lucky to get £2500 for it. If you invest £300 into it you will still probably only get £2500 for it. Throwing money at a car rarely increases its value tbh.

Persoanally i'd sell it as it is.