ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 gaps between wing and doors

Went to look at a 172 tonight. The front wings were really tight to the front doors. There was virtually no gap at all. Is this normal or could it indicate a front end repair

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i dnt think they should be that tight. i would say their should be a fair size gap imo. (not masive, probably about 1cm or abit more)

do a data check, see if its a pre accident damage car.

Stripped yozza'd cup
The gap on mine is 2.2mm
I think it's just the inconsistent French build quailty, I wouldn't assume it's crash damaged. HPI it anyway though, as with any car.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
i dnt think they should be that tight. i would say their should be a fair size gap imo. (not masive, probably about 1cm or abit more)

do a data check, see if its a pre accident damage car.

One Centimetre gap??? Fcuk about. If Mr Bean and Frank spencer got pissed up and built a car, i'd still expect panel gaps of less than 1cm.

Cheers. Rest of it looks ok, 53 plate on 57k. It's cheap. Very cheap which is ringing warning bells lol

Stripped yozza'd cup
Cheers. Rest of it looks ok, 53 plate on 57k. It's cheap. Very cheap which is ringing warning bells lol

Have a look for the black bits in the bumper, that will tell you if the bumper has been resprayed or not.

I did look and they ain't there. I had a 172 last year, but didn't pay much attention to gaps etc. This one is for a mate.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Have a look for the black bits in the bumper, that will tell you if the bumper has been resprayed or not.

Also check for the right headlights. People fit the cheap non xenons to keep repair costs down.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
check the headlights are symmetrical .. and in line properly .. and that the bumper lines up to the wings properly.

as long as the doors don't rub on the hinge face when opening, it'll be fine. if you can get your thumb in there when it's closed, walk away (unless you're a smurf).

Stripped yozza'd cup
I did look and they ain't there. I had a 172 last year, but didn't pay much attention to gaps etc. This one is for a mate.

If they're not there, then it's definitely had a front end respray at some point. HPI it and then ask the owner about it, it's perfectly feasable that they dont know themselves.

The guy is offering to stick a years MOT on it, I'm guessing headlights alignment would fail if it was twisted somehow?

It's got xenons, and the wings look original. Bumper has been painted though as there are no black stickers.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Wings are plastic and real easy to replace. Simple job and almost impossible to put in the wrong place. The GF did her old one :dead: ! Haha..

I'll get him to HPI it. Owner says its not been in an accident as far as he is aware, but hardly something he'd admit even if he knew.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
All that'll mean is that it has never been categorised as a financial write-off. Could still have been crashed / cut shut / anything but off the official record.

If you're not sure, walk away. It's a buyers market.