ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 gearbox

R5 GTT & R19 16v
My car (renault 5 GT Turbo) is currently going under a major engine change, im putting in a Clio 16v lump and having a turbo conversion on it. I have been told that a clio 172 gearbox will fit in the car but is this going to be capable of having around 400bhp go through it or is it going to smash to pieces? not going to run all the time though, something to do with fuel tax's. But I will also be after an LSD for it, wheres the best place for this? Any ideas on what other gearboxes might fit on which will be able to cope and price wise. Cheers

It will if you spend the money on it otherwsie nope. I'd never both trying to stick that much power in a JC5 get a box which is better built to start with.

Forget the whole 16V lump but a VAG 1.8 T engine and box and use that much better option or least use a turbo F$RT engine block and box to start with as there stronger (box isn't that little though).

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
What blows up gearboxes isn't power. Its torque. The JC5 is rated to handle up to 240 nm. Turboing increases torque as well as power. How much torque does your turbo engine produce?

R5 GTT & R19 16v
Everything is pretty much done to the engine now and waiting to go in the car

Spec:

1.8 16v from a renault 19
Megane head, ported and polished with enlarged valves
Turbo Exhaust manifold constructed from a high nickel content
Samco silicon hoses
magnecor KV85 leads
2 1/2" side exit exhaust
BB R-tuner mapable ecu
high pressure fuel pump
550cc injectors
GT28RS "disco Potato" turbo
Custom TT 2 1/2" v-band downpipe
Paddle clutch
Wossner 7.5:1 forged piston
Bored out to 2litre
full bottom end blueprint build
fully lightened and balanced bottom end with all parts replaced for new where needed
adjustable FPR
Baffled Sump
Semi Seam Welded Subframe

this will then run over 20 psi when i feel like it lol

The VAG engine is a good choice to go for but buying one in the first place would have been more expensive, seeming that you can pick up the renault 19 from as little as 300 quid.

The torque will be in excess of 300 easily, so that gearbox wont be a good idea then, thats why i need ideas to go for.

The cost of Sadev gearboxes is a bit high. id rather destroy a 172 box every couple of months than buy one of those. it will still be a cheaper route doing that over a couple of years. Any options of strengthening the gearboxes? Some of you most be running more than 240nm of torque, what gearboxes do you use?

GordonD said:
What blows up gearboxes isn't power. Its torque. The JC5 is rated to handle up to 240 nm. Turboing increases torque as well as power. How much torque does your turbo engine produce?
200Nm its rated to hence why the dci 80 and 100 hit the limit on it. The new 197 box/dci 105 is 240NM rated.

80MPG BEEZA
you can get the jc5 shot peened for £600 this will make the internals 20% stronger

Bigfoot said:
1.8 16v from a renault 19
Megane head, ported and polished with enlarged valves
Turbo Exhaust manifold constructed from a high nickel content
Samco silicon hoses
magnecor KV85 leads
2 1/2" side exit exhaust
BB R-tuner mapable ecu
high pressure fuel pump
550cc injectors
GT28RS "disco Potato" turbo
Custom TT 2 1/2" v-band downpipe
Paddle clutch
Wossner 7.5:1 forged piston
Bored out to 2litre
full bottom end blueprint build
fully lightened and balanced bottom end with all parts replaced for new where needed
adjustable FPR
Baffled Sump
Semi Seam Welded Subframe

this will then run over 20 psi when i feel like it lol

The VAG engine is a good choice to go for but buying one in the first place would have been more expensive, seeming that you can pick up the renault 19 from as little as 300 quid.

The torque will be in excess of 300 easily, so that gearbox wont be a good idea then, thats why i need ideas to go for.

The cost of Sadev gearboxes is a bit high. id rather destroy a 172 box every couple of months than buy one of those. it will still be a cheaper route doing that over a couple of years. Any options of strengthening the gearboxes? Some of you most be running more than 240nm of torque, what gearboxes do you use?
Why not use a 2.0 bottom end in the first place why spend on a bored out 1.8?

You can get stronger boxes made drop BenR a message he was talking of a compnay who can do it it will work out if you wreck a few 172 boxes to spec a decient JC5 box.

Lionel Richie
The internals aren't the problem! its the casing and bearings mainly that fail, aswell as the synchros

2005 Nissan Navara
GordonD said:

Finally

2005 Nissan Navara
FredYozzasport said:
The internals aren't the problem! its the casing and bearings mainly that fail, aswell as the synchros

How many gearbox u seen with bearings and synchro's on the OUTside?!

172 cup'd extreme
This is when my Diff fell apart

Ive also striped 1.2 and 3rd gears and smash the synchro's in 2 other boxes

Attachments

• DSCF0028.JPG
    DSCF0028.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0029.JPG
    DSCF0029.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 55
  R5 GTT & R19 16v
oo dear, not looking good on the gearbox side, need to find a gearbox first though, ill sort out a wanted post, but they seem hard to come across, and just missed out on one in ebay becuase i wasn't checking everyday :(

When your talking about why not use the 2.0 bottom end, i guess from the williams engine, one they aren't easy to find cheaply, and also i got told they dont rev so nicely as the F7P engine. Least I have a while to find everything i need as car is not completed fully yet and i still need to run the engine in, but im sure that wont take too long if the weather is nice.

2005 Nissan Navara
revs dont matter so much when ur adding inlet pressure! then again, neither does displacement lol

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
im running well over 200nm on the jc5 and mines ok so far lol!
allthough i have shattered a cast engine mount!

R5 GTT & R19 16v
stevo172-250 said:
im running well over 200nm on the jc5 and mines ok so far lol!
allthough i have shattered a cast engine mount!

How many miles have you run your car so far? Somebody put a 172 gearbox in a 5, running like 6psi, they have gone through a couple of gearboxes so far with the casing breaking. I guess its just with the luck of the draw how good the one you get is

2005 Nissan Navara
Possibly cheaper option would be use the gearbox from a car that runs higher torque in standard form...e.g. Mitsi Lancer Evo....something thats designed to take it.

R5 GTT & R19 16v
Please name one which in standard form can take that sort of power and being front wheel drive? The best option would have been the renault 225 but that will not fit. The 172 is the only option really to go for in my case

2005 Nissan Navara
can u read??

"Mitsi LAncer Evo"

adapt to run just FWD and bingo bango. few mods to driveshafts and you away.

use your imagination lad.

and as above...TORQUE kills a transmission...NOT power.

172 cup'd extreme
the megane 225 box is even worse JC5 is made from moon cheese the PK6 is made from cream cheese
More serious note its not expensive to have it made stronger competition gearboxes shot peened by casing then a local firm rebuilt it with uprated gears and brand new synchros cost me a grand all in

Bigfoot said:
Please name one which in standard form can take that sort of power and being front wheel drive? The best option would have been the renault 225 but that will not fit. The 172 is the only option really to go for in my case
VAG j3C I think its called its the 6 speed one all the VAGs use 300LB offically rated to but even VW seem to allow upto 330lb under warently abroad (you can have foreigh models chipped) as they are more powerful than the offical calculation suggest. The diesel has the stonger bits in it apparently from some S4 or somehting box.

The Saab one is quite strong I guess its imilar to the Vlvo one as they both are used to 300lb torque.

Honda stuff is incredably stong BenR was on about 1000hp Hondas on almost stock boxes.

There a diesel sequenchal box out which holds a fair bit of offical torque 350lb or so from memory buts its £8k I think there other racing boxes though.

R5 GTT & R19 16v
16v_jon said:
the megane 225 box is even worse JC5 is made from moon cheese the PK6 is made from cream cheese
More serious note its not expensive to have it made stronger competition gearboxes shot peened by casing then a local firm rebuilt it with uprated gears and brand new synchros cost me a grand all in

You got any more details on that? As i will be looking at changing the gear ratios this will be ideal time to get the gearbox fully strengthened. There is limited space in the 5 to get a gearbox in there, i believe the 172 box will just fit in but wont leave that much extra room to the side of it.

Anyone fitted a VAG j3C 6 speed gearbox onto a renault?

172 cup'd extreme
Bigfoot said:
You got any more details on that? As i will be looking at changing the gear ratios this will be ideal time to get the gearbox fully strengthened. There is limited space in the 5 to get a gearbox in there, i believe the 172 box will just fit in but wont leave that much extra room to the side of it.

Anyone fitted a VAG j3C 6 speed gearbox onto a renault?
http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/ they'll sort most things out for you

the VAG box will fit in the bay but you'll then need to chage the driveshafts or use custom jobs, build a mounting kit, change the clutch and depending if the chosen box is hydralic that too, paul jordan(01254 201681) is the guy you need to speak to regarding fitting VAG stuff and modding it

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
stan* said:

Actually Stan its more complicated than that. Lots of turboed bike powered machines have gearboxes and drive chains (and diffs in the case of bike-powered cars) that shouldn't be holding up but do. Because they don't have enough weight to generate enough traction that you can open up the throttle all the way in the lower gears without getting wheel spin. By the time you get up into a high enough gear that you can use full throttle the lower torque multiplication factor has reduced the loading enough that nothing breaks.

There's also evidence - I don't know whether the manufacturer admits it - that some BMW's ECUs are programmed to limit torque. It may be for component durability reasons. It was found when they dynoed them with higher octane fuels. They produced more power on the better fuel as would be expected with the knock sensor adjusting the timing to take advantage of it, but not more torque.

2005 Nissan Navara
GordonD said:
Actually Stan its more complicated than that. Lots of turboed bike powered machines have gearboxes and drive chains (and diffs in the case of bike-powered cars) that shouldn't be holding up but do. Because they don't have enough weight to generate enough traction that you can open up the throttle all the way in the lower gears without getting wheel spin. By the time you get up into a high enough gear that you can use full throttle the lower torque multiplication factor has reduced the loading enough that nothing breaks.

Its not really anymore complicated than force breaks things!!
Its also likely that most Jap engineering is better than most we see on road cars...e.g out good old French 'boxs.

GordonD said:
They produced more power on the better fuel as would be expected with the knock sensor adjusting the timing to take advantage of it, but not more torque.

For a given engine speed event?? That wouldnt be true. Increased ignition advance due to increased knock limits from the "better" fuel would raise the peak cylinder pressure. Its this increase in cyl pressure which does improve the specific torque output, and so increses power output.

16v_jon said:

That wont stop shafts and box flex which is what makes you skip a tooth, then strip the rest as they cant mesh again under load.

80MPG BEEZA
16v_jon said:
yeah but your first one needed oil to work :)

yes but i didnt know! i thought the load whining was just a characteristic until it kept jumping out of 5th! managed to egt 138mph out of it though before it completely went bang then £600 later it had a new box in :) all is fine now

BENR! how long to get my inlets matched and mailed back to me? send them the 23rd need them back on car for the 11th? possible?

sorry for jacking the thread but reno gearbox's are poo end of story!