ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 has broke AGAIN

Clio 200 Cup
Another thought if things are getting desperate.

Buy some cheap as f**k, much thicker engine oil and put it in. Im not suggesting you run it for long with the wrong oil but if the noise goes quieter/louder (more likely quieter) then you know its an internal problem with a follower or something. If it makes no difference at all then it would suggest a problem wth that cam phaser thingy somebody was talking about earlier in this thread.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I thought mine was bad.

I just paid for a new gearbox, clutch and driveshaft at Renault.

How old is the car?

Mine just turned 4 years old and got Renault to pay 50% for replacing the gearbox & driveshaft.

Mine seems to break ever to months.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
6years, 65k, my cars cost me over £4k to fix so far in the last year. Finally get it to a state where everything is fine then it does this.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Well thats what i keep thinking as it's had alot replaced and its cost me £1500 in the last year to just fix it, not including the amount of warranty work I had done on it they year before.

It seems a waste to sell and replacing everything, but it's got one more chance then it going.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mine has just hit it's last chance, gonna try see how much this will cost to fix then i'll sell it or drive it into a tree.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Mine has just hit it's last chance, gonna try see how much this will cost to fix then i'll sell it or drive it into a tree.

I think i would do same and go German or Jap

Knowing your luck the insurance company would fix it and bring it back! lol

I would have sold it after the first set of problems, sounds like a pup to me im sorry to say. Leave the keys in tonight?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I would have sold it after the first set of problems, sounds like a pup to me im sorry to say. Leave the keys in tonight?

I would do normally, but gearbox was first thing to go, but while saving to fix that other stuff broke, and who's gonna by a car with a broken gearbox.

ph quick
Thats exactly the same noise an exclusive i looked at earlier his year was making, pretty sure someone on here said it was a pulley bearing... The woman selling swore blind that she couldnt hear it even though we had a normal running 172 next to it....

ph quick
The guy that bought it is on here, think his name is 40/172 or something so if he's got it fixed he could probably tell you what it was that needed doing, its defo the same noise though

CLIO 172 EXCLUSIVE
mike @ rentech was spot on when he said daphaser pulley. id got my cam belts etc done a week or so earlier and the mechanic couldnt work out what the prob was. i went back with mikes diagnosis and he swapped the dephaser pulley which sorted the problem out. i think the part was about £100 ish, fortunately he did it labour free as he'd not sorted the problem out when hed had the lot out first time. Thank god for friendly garages and Mike help.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
^^^ oh no sounds expensive.

Well started her up to drive to the garage, made it about 2 metres, BANG she's now dead :(

titanium 182,
erm i was gonna say dont drive it or run it you will fook it big time but i guess im 2 late bent valves and possibly more now :(

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
belt is still tight. got SBV116 on his way over to have a look for me now :)

titanium 182,
belt is still tight. got SBV116 on his way over to have a look for me now :)
trouble is if the de phaser has moved that much it will have the same effect m8 bent valves, also the lower crank pulley were the belt goes around does not have a woodruff key to secure it to the crankshaft if it moves you will have bent valves whether the belt is snapped or not
i wouldnt be spining it over anymore before removing the cam cover/cylinder head you will risk even more damage

A4 Avant
One careful owner??;)

Mine had the pulley replaced as well as it was making a similar noise, but not as bad. I was lucky enough to get it done the same time as the cambelt so it only cost me about £100 extra.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Hopefully i'll never see it again, but no it's just been to be fixed.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm secretly hoping it will (as long as the drivers fine)

Clio 200 Cup
Heres a question:

If my immacualte car got stolen and then recovered in tact and returned to me by the police, would my insurance pay for any damage to my car?

For example scraped body work, nackered tyres, forced locks, thrashed to fook engine that now sounds like a bag of nails?

What would my insurer pay out for?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Heres a question:

If my immacualte car got stolen and then recovered in tact and returned to me by the police, would my insurance pay for any damage to my car?

For example scraped body work, nackered tyres, forced locks, thrashed to fook engine that now sounds like a bag of nails?

What would my insurer pay out for?

Yeah. Might even pay out for the car. Be classed as stolen recovered