ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 knocking top end when hot on idle?

clio 172
hi my 2000 clio 172 sport has started making a really bad rattle from the top end of the engine. Its fine when cold but as soon as the car starts to warm up the rattle starts - when hot and at idle its really bad, tried changing oil and filter but just the same, as soon as you touch throttle the knocking goes, but hold the engine at any revs and its nice and quiet. Go back to idle and it knocks and rattles again. Any ideas on how to fix?

cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Not the news you were wanting to hear I guess but its true.... Dephaser unit required meaning new timing belt and aux kit to. On the plus side, the Aux kits are only £60 + vat now and not £108 + vat

See that... some good news right there ;)

Mick

clio 172
thanks guys, i am a a renault tech just wasnt sure if the dephaser or hydro taps. i got a new pully sorted just need to know the tightening torque if any one would happen to know what it is? cheers

Something Not French
thanks guys, i am a a renault tech just wasnt sure if the dephaser or hydro taps. i got a new pully sorted just need to know the tightening torque if any one would happen to know what it is? cheers

Surely you should know this. Or have access to systems that do.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

and people wonder why the RS never goes to a normal Renault garage, lol

HBT 172 Cup

Dephaser pulley: 100nM
Exhaust Pulley: 30nM + 90 degrees