ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 or Focus ST170

E36 M3. 182
All depends what youre using it for and what you want/need from a car really, does it need to be the best B road/trackday 'drivers car', or does it need to be 'a bird magnet', or does it need to be newer than the next guys car???? I think nowadays were spoilt for choice in a lot of ways, because now, a 10/15 year old car was built in the late 90's (ie a 1996, 328 mport), whereas in 2000, a 10/15 year old car was built in the late 80's (ie peugeot 205 gti). I dont think the stigma attached to owning an older car is as justified as it was back then because of the advances in design and performance between the 80's and 90's.......

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
172,i had one and a 182. I know have a 328sport! All are awesome.... but clios are the most fun

ph1 172, berlingo
but i bet when and if you first drove the st standard you thought, is that it? just a down pipe and better filter improves them 50%

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
but i bet when and if you first drove the st standard you thought, is that it? just a down pipe and better filter improves them 50%

Not at all tbh, I knew it wasn't going to set the world on fire and be nothing like some of the clio's i had driven, but I knew the potential it had.

Yea the flexi pipe and filter make a difference to standard!

Monaco 172
I have owned a Ph2 172 and driven my friends ST170 and have to say that the gearbox is much better in the ST170 as was the seating position (but we all know that's crap in a 172 anyways). For outright pace, even though mine was regarded as the 'Full Fat' RS Clio, it still shifted a fair bit quicker than the ST170 and was a little more planted in the corners, but not by much. Build quality is much better in the Focus, but when things went wrong, they were pretty expensive to fix but then so is the Clio in some regards.

Have you thought about a 306 GTI-6/Rallye or 106 GTI/Saxo VTS? I know they haven't got a good stigma attached to them but the GTI is the most fun driving a car that I have had, I actually prefer it to the 200sx and Eunos I had. they are very planted, cheap to run, suprisingly quick and with a decat pipe and decent CAF can get quite good gains (something which you will NOT find with the Clio, don't let nayone tell you otherwise). Insurance is also a lot cheaper, infact around £500 for me (22, driving 4 years with 3 years NCB). Plus you can pick up a mint GTI/VTS for around £1500, I got mine for £900 but I was lucky. Would save a lot more money then :)

Hope this helps.

E36 M3. 182
DMF on the ST170, pricey when it goes wrong........ Another buying point, make sure the clutch is in good nick!!!!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ive driven a few st's and hated them. It seems so similar to a standard 2.0. After the type r i would say ph1, and its not because ive got one lol.

Dan

320d
After having a 172 and a mate having a Focus ST170 i'd be going for the 172. The Focus is a nice car but never felt special or fast enough for a hot hatch. It just felt very family car like.

Clio RSI 1.6
I've never really seen Renault that cheap to repair, especially compared to Ford - budget motoring at it's finest, good old Ford lol

thanks for all the input, im still no closer to deciding :(

Re the 106 GTI/saxo..i like them but i cant get over the crash tests etc and how they are just like a tin can

Re the cupra...never really been a fan, might have a gander though

Civic Type R
I had a focus st170 for a few weeks while my 182 was off the road. I really liked it, especially the gearbox, and they do look the part ( tbh slightly better than the 182 imo) , but performance wise it felt slow in comparison. It was also REALLY bad on fuel, averaging about 20mpg. I am a big fan of the focus reliability, my ladies hasn't had any problems at all since new. Would definitely pick the 182, although purely for the performance. Cant see it being much different to a 172.