ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Ph1 Idle fluctuating

Clio 172 Ph1
Hi guys,

My car has had this problem since I bought it, but I always assumed it was because it came with a bmc air filter and a blocked icv pipe.
Now that I have the stock airbox on and everything connected plus a new icv actuator, map sensor, coolant temp sensor, the problem is still there.
It basically gets stuck between 1500 and 2500rpm up and down but only when the engine is warm. The only way it idles normal after warm is if on idle i put it in 1st and then release the clutch slowly to bring the rpm's down and then it stays there at about 1050rpm.
The dephaser is also needing replacement could it be the culprit? or something else?

Thanks

ST TDCI
Take off throttle body and give it a good seeing to!(well clean it!) made the world of difference to mine!

I think there is a thread telling you how to do it somewhere - it is pretty easy though :)

Clio 172 Ph1
Thanks, I already cleaned the TB and installed a new icv, throttle sensor, new dephaser pulley, temperature sensor, there are no faults or error codes that could point to something...
The idle when it's not acting up is perfect now due to the new dephaser, but as soon as I press the clutch while driving to put in neutral it jumps to 2000rpm and drops to 1200rpm, sometimes a bit more or less, if I blip the throttle most of the times goes back to normal.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Mine went a little funny similar to this when i had the inlet off to do the plugs, double check the gaskets are sealed properly and the throttle cable is free to move without jamming.

Mine only did it intermittently so might be hard to spot

Clio 172 Ph1
I took a little time again today to check for possible causes and I found that the throttle body butterfly has lateral play when open. Sometimes when closing because it's not centered, it sticks to the tb wall, I'm also missing a starlock washer on the sensor side that helps the butterfly stay centered.