ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 ph1 speedo fault and idle speed

clio 172
I need help with 2 faults on my clio 172 ph1 2000X reg

1. The speedo cuts out intermitantly, all other dials work.
Is this the gearbox sensor or will it be a sensor on the abs on a ph1 clio 172??

2. Also the idle speed is erratic. I will be coming up to a junction and put the clutch in and the revs will stick at 2,000 rpm. I will then blip the throttle and it will return to the normal 700 rpm. Any ideas how to fix this?
Thanks

A shiny black one.
Not sure about the first problem but I had something similiar to your second problem! I would pull up to a junction and the car would idle at 2000 or so and i would have to rev the nuts out of the engine to get it to idle normally, on another occasion i didn't bother reving the engine when it idled at 2000 and it ended up flooding with fuel and so I was stuck at the junction for 20 minutes before I could get it started again! It ended up being the temp sensor was faulty and tricking my ecu into thinking that the engine was cold and so started to pump more fuel in and finally flooding! Does your engine temp indicator on your dash move about alot?

clio 172
Thanks for the reply. The temp guage seems ok, is the temp sensor easy to change and is it expensive? Could there be another cause of the problem??

LY 182
both faults are related mate, the ecu needs a speed signal to adjust revs accordingly while slowing down etc
the fact that you get the running fault aswell tells me its more then likely speed sensor
change the g/box sensor should sort both

renault clio rs 172
I need help with 2 faults on my clio 172 ph1 2000X reg

1. The speedo cuts out intermitantly, all other dials work.
Is this the gearbox sensor or will it be a sensor on the abs on a ph1 clio 172??

2. Also the idle speed is erratic. I will be coming up to a junction and put the clutch in and the revs will stick at 2,000 rpm. I will then blip the throttle and it will return to the normal 700 rpm. Any ideas how to fix this?
Thanks

if the speedo if u meant the dash speed there is a sensor in the back of engine.u can put the sensor of renault kangoo i already done that.and about the 2000 rpm is a prob in the throtte.i have the same problmes

Clio 172 ph1.
throttle cable should definitly help witht he high idle. £25 or so from the dealers, and it comes complete.