ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Ph2 poor performance

Clio 172, Saxo VTS
I have recently bought a Ph2 Clio 172. The depahser pulley was clattering like a Transit van and when warm would take off from standstill like poo. Anyway my mate is a Vauxhall tech with a few ex Renault tech mates so he did my new belt, kit and depahser for me and said the timing was out as it had been paintballed last time. Anyway when I got the car it would sometimes have issues starting as in id turn the key but it would just turn over, then if I tried to start it again it would go right away. I feel it is not performing right as my Saxo VTS seems faster. Since the new belt and depahser it runs like a dream and really smooth, but its still slow in my opinion. Its had new oil and filter, Im going to change the plugs and air filter, but what could be making it slow? Im edging towards crank sensor, as this could effect the staring problem right? but would it affect performance? also going to put in some red-ex at my next fill to clean the injectors out. Any ideas as to what it can be? its covered 77k, runs sweet as a nut, no knocks, bangs, no head gasket issues, I feel it can only be something simple. I also think its eating petrol. I have no engine management lights on and have had it plugged into a diagnostics but nothing showing up.

Any input appreciated :)

Last edited:
  clio 182
the crank sensor would not affect performance in that way it would in others tho ie engine wouldnt run or cut out thus hampering performance. as for por prformance and high fuel keep an eye o my thread for my 182 as it looks like we are having similar issues

Clio 172, Saxo VTS
Cheers mate, Im not sure if it was just me expecting to much of the clio. I have a Saxo VTS also and dont see much more performance wise from the clio. Although now ive had my cambelt and depahser/timing done it is a lot smoother and feels like its a lot better but needs to be ragged to get the power out of it. I take it this is normal? Im going to take it to Wales on the weekend for a good run and see how the fuel goes.

Cheers again fella.

Clio 172 ph2
Have you tried cleaning the throttle body thoroughly? (i.e take it off and give it a good clean then oil). If its sticking it could cause some of the above.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Needs high revs and for this to be sustained to get the maximum performance. I changed from a 1.8 Clio RSi to a 172 Ph 1 and the only noticeable difference was that the 2.0 litre sustained the high performance for longer at the top end. Mind you, the RSi always felt pretty good.

Do a lot of track driving etc and you'll get the Clio to drive right. i.e. you will learn where it's sweet spot is. I still get it wrong sometimes. I was beaten off the line by a BMW 330 D recently with my car stripped out. Most times this doesn't happen to me against big Diesels.

Clio 172, Saxo VTS
Haha cheers guys, went to take it for a spin last night and the brakes started to grind. Always my luck. Have some Brembo max's on order and some Mintex pads so as soon as they come it will be taken for a long spin.

Thanks again guys.