ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Power steering overheat?

Hey all,

Done Brands on Friday, great day car did very well.

I only had one issue, the power steering fluid was boiling/overheating causing a whining from the pump, went back to pits left it 20 minutes, good as gold for about 20 minutes on track then it's whining again. Do you guys just use the usual power steering fluid or a fluid with a higher boiling point? not sure when it was last changed so i'm going to swap it out and hopefully have a difference next time!

Thanks!

IIRC this is quite a common problem on track cars, which is why some remove the PAS and some swap to EPAS (booo!).

It's just clutch / brake fluid, isn't it?? If so, Dot 5 might have a higher boiling point?

I guess another option would be to fit an oil cooler into the system so that it cooled the fluid down?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mine used to do this. I used a big syringe and sucked a bit out (so that it was bang on between min and max) and it’s just done another track daybwoth no issues. ?

PH2 172
Mine used to do this. I used a big syringe and sucked a bit out (so that it was bang on between min and max) and it’s just done another track daybwoth no issues. ?

I never realised this.

The power steering pump pressure should be
between 86 and 93 bars.

That`s a lot, no wonder it gets hot.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
My Kangoo used to chuck the pas fluid out of the reservior when on max, dropped it to minimum mark and not had any issues since. If the pas pump is whining might need changing soon, mine done this on teesside and promptly died after a few laps of the track.

My Kangoo used to chuck the pas fluid out of the reservior when on max, dropped it to minimum mark and not had any issues since. If the pas pump is whining might need changing soon, mine done this on teesside and promptly died after a few laps of the track.

Reservoir is spot on in the middle doesnt move. Pump only whines when on track for about 30 minutes, normal road driving no whining at all...

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

I done exactly the same initially, then refreshed the fluid with standard stuff, never had a problem 10+ track days later.

My pump whines and has done since I fitted a re-furbed one to try and stop the whining of my old pump... just left it now and havent had an issue so far.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I done exactly the same initially, then refreshed the fluid with standard stuff, never had a problem 10+ track days later.

My pump whines and has done since I fitted a re-furbed one to try and stop the whining of my old pump... just left it now and havent had an issue so far.

My brand new pump even has a faint whine, mainly 2nd gear tight corners on track.

My old one went pop last year.