ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 vs 182

Black 172
Hey guys I'm new here and in the market for a hot hatch! I had a Saxo VTS when I was 18 but got bored of it within a few months. I'm a serious speed freak which is why I have a superbike now but really need a car as well (try doing the weekly shop with a backpack!). I've looked at all the hot hatches and the Clio seems far and away the best choice, but I have a few questions about them.
Firstly are there any real differenes between the 172 and the 182 other than the extra 10bhp?
Also, which is the fastest of them all? I've been looking around and I've come to the conclusion it is the 172 Cup because of the greater weight loss, is this true?
Also the cup suspension/wheels/steering are a must but I also want the leather interior and xenons and maybe even ABS if it's needed, is this possible?
Well there's alot there, I'd be gratefull for any answers on these topics!
Jeff

P.s. One of the topics on here says that you guys get stick for having a girls car, try having a saxo, the epitome of hairdressor chic! The Clio is possitively butch compared to it!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
speed wise none are faster than the other really, the thing with renault engines are they dont all put out the same, you could end up with a 170bhp 182 or a 175bhp 172.

for the leather and xenons your going to need a full fat 172 or 182 (non cup) they all have ABS apart from the 172 cup (i think)

the 182 trophy is the best handling of the bunch and also has recaro seats but no xenons.

172 cup is the lightest so if all engines put out the exact stated power a 172 cup would probably be about the same performance wise as a 182(cup) maby slighty faster but its not a difference worth the loss of half leather, xenons and air con etc

EDIT: and welcome to ClioSport :D

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Nothing in it in terms of day to day speed and driving. The 172 Cup does excell a little in performance due to the weight reduction.

If you want leather, zenon's, etc, buy a Full Fat 172, or 182, but get the Cup packs (anthracite wheels, Cup suspension, and Cup Spoiler) on the 182 if you opt for this - This is what i have, and its the best of both worlds. Speed, Cup Suspension, Cup Spoiler with comfort, and toys - Cruise etc.

If your budget can stretch, get the Trophy! Amazing cars, with Recaro's, cruise. V6 spoiler, but with no Xenons!

Welcome btw, the Clio is the best hot hatch out there!

Tyson.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Yeah as mentioned above dont bother with the cups, there more money for little gain, and i mean very little gain, just get all the cup extras on your 172 or 182!, personally id go for 182 if you can afford it, if not go for a 2002 onward 172!

VaVa
If I were starting all over again in t eh search for a hot Clio (I've had my 172 for over 2 years and still love it to bits lol) then I would probably get a 172 Cup or a Trophy.

They're the best Renaultsport Clios to date in terms of performance and exclusivity. But don't take it that means the others are no good, because nothing could be farther from the truth......

In fact the worst thing about looking for a Clio is that your spoilt for choice. There's an RS clio for every taste. lol.

106 GTi
Welcome to CS. If you can live without toys a cup model will suit you if you want something fully loaded a full fat 172 or 182 is a better option. A few guys who have owned both 172 and 182's say that cup packed 182 is a improvement in the handling department, so one to bear in mind now. The current daddy at the moment as others have said is the Trophy, one to consider if you like red!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
If i was buying a new Clio this week i'd be going for either a 172 cup or Trophy, but i do think i would miss the extras, like the xenons

oh and welcome to Clio Sport.

MINI JCW
I put this table together a little while back it shows the power to weight ratio (probably the best indication of a cars performance below 100mph) of all the RS clio's

All int BHP per tonne

Renaultsport Clio 172 Phase 1 162
Renaultsport Clio 172 Phase 2 157
Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup 170
Renaultsport Clio 182 167
Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup 169
Renaultsport Clio 182 Trophy 170

As you can see nothing in it at all, all of them do 0-60 in about (6.3-6.7) and 100 in about (16.75-17.5)

I have a 182 with both cup packs, and if i was choosing again now they are all available i would still have the same as i feel its the best in terms of performance, handling and creature comforts, each to their own though

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
All are quick.

All are nice and torquey compared to the Saxo.

Depends what you want from your RS.

i plumped for a early aluminium bonnet model Mk1 172 as i wanted all the toys and performance, but couldn't justify spending a load of wedge on a car i was only keeping for a year or so.

Well pleased with my decision, if you care for them, and get a cared for example. should be many miles of hilarious motoring. i love mine.

Chris

Black 172
Cheers guys that has helped alot, just need to save up the wedge now! There is a gorgeous metallic yellow 182 with gunmetal anthracite wheels near me and it is absoloutely stunning. Never seen that colour clio before must be a custom paint job I guess...

Black 172
Yeah I just saw a picture of the liquid yellow and thats the one. Best colour in my opinion with orange coming second. Bright cars kick ass! (so why have all my cars been blue?)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Theres nothing wrong with blue.Looks great in the sun,but then again that yellow must look good too....

ian

Clio 172 mk2
Matter of preference really

I don't do any track days or drive that hard so brought a full fat 172....really like the trim, xenons and toys...actually nailed together fairly well for a Renault too.