ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 v's Clio 172 Cup?!

Clio 172 Cup
Hello everyone

I'm new to this site and I have just sold my Audi A4 and I am ready to but a new car.

I have wanted a Clio Sport 172 for a while now, I really like the look of them and think they are a great little car.

I just wanted to get your thoughts on whats best, the standard 172 or the 172 Cup edition?!

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say

Thanks

Ph2 Clio 172
There is no 'best'. it depends entirely on what you want to do with it.

When I bought my Clio 172 I was driving 70 miles a day, so the leather, Xenons and all the other creature comforts were a definate, so for that situation the standard was the best.

Now though, I get the train to work and the car is used for fun only, so not all that goodies are just added weight and not used, so if I was to buy the car now, a Cup would be best.

The only other difference is that the Blue Cup is such a nice colour!

172 Cup
My post yesterday to the same question:

"
It all depends on what you really want the car for and what you want from it i suppose mate.

Ph2 172's can be had for very good money these days and you get alot of car for your money imo, very nice day to day drivers with quite alot of toys on with a good amount of comfort, they are also quick and handle well when you want it to be.

I have a cup and tbh thats what i would recommend you to get IF you can live without your creature comforts, they are still quite comfortable mind, but with the added bonus of it being that bit sharper through the bends and in a straight line, alittle bit rarer and a bit more of a head turner too!

hope thats of some help to you ;) "​

Stripped yozza'd cup
There is no answer to this.

Drive them both and make your own decision. I bought the cup because I prefer it, but others will feel differently.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
172 cup's have no ABS so can be difficult to insure, depending on circumstances.

As above, what do you want ? A weekend toy or a daily ? Budget ? Location ? Mine's for sale ;)

Listerine & Poledo
172 has the toys and is more "comfortable". Little bits like climate and cruise make it quite tolerable for long hauls

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks for all the replies!! I walk to work everyday so it'll be used mainly at the weekend and sometimes on an evening.
I really like the half leather seats etc in the 172 but I still prefer the look of the 172 cup more and I prefer a bit more of a drivers car rather than the creature comforts I suppose.
I have seen a 172 cup near me and the guy has fitted the half leather seats in it, so I could do that I suppose if I really wanted too.
I've seen a CUP for £2300 which has a good service history and looks like it's been well looked after.

well looking at that id say get a cup.. Who needs creature comforts mine is a daily driver and i often do 200plus mile journeys in it with no problems.
as Evilgiraffe said they have no ABS so some companys wont insure it but i was 21 at the time of purchase with 0ncb and 1 crash declared and i managed 2 insure it with out 2 much hassle.. i bought mine back in october last year and loved every minut of ownership

Clio 172 Cup
I dont mind not having A/C either to be honest, if I get too hot I'll just put the windows down!
Looks like I'll be buying the CUP model then this weekend, cant wait!! I much prefer a raw drivers car and the insurance quotes have been around £550 fully comp
Plus I love the colour blue on the cup model and you dont see that many of them around.

Clio 172 Cup
kool beanz, my mind is made up, CUP it is!!
Think i'm going to put 17" Speedline Turini's on though, rather than the standard 16"
Anyone know where you can get some good deals on alloys from, thanks!

Stripped yozza'd cup
For christ sake do NOT put 17's on it. I had to borrow some for a week and they were absolutely tragic.

Heavy wheels will ruin your car. 16's are at absolute maximum. If you're performance oriented like you say, then you should be looking at 15's, not 17's!

Clio 172 Cup
Had a Saxo VTR years ago, not a bad little car.
really why's that? does it make it worse?!!

I'm loving this site!
Thanks everyone, I wont put 17's on and will go 16's only!!!
Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming!

Last edited:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Pffft.

Pick a colour away you go - I get bored of the constant my car is better than your car rubbish - I'd find the very best example of any of them with the money you have, I came from owning a williams for 4 years so they all feel pretty much the same to me! The lack of abs on a cup was irrelevant to me as I'd never owned a car with it and to be honest if you know how to brake properly you'll not be relying on it - How cup owners can call this a more raw experience I've no idea.

I chose a 172 over the rest purely because it was a one owner immaculate car, priced well and I didn't like the two exhausts on the back of a 182, I think the car is too small for them personally.

Cup all the way, looked at both when I was buying and just fell in love with the Turini's and M. Blue! What a combination!

I love my cup a LOT. But in the summer when its hot it bugs me that I have no aircon. And on long journeys cruise control would be a lovely bonus. So it can have a few little downsides.

You need to drive both and see which you prefer. But tbh I'll doubt you'll notice the difference between a cup and a standard unless your hammering them round a track.

I was sold on the colour alone for the cup so it was the only car for me to get.

Clio 197
the lack of aircon, xenons and leather doesn't bother me go the slightest , neither does the abs..i got mine because it was in the right place at the right time ..... i am pretty glad i did to be honest, however they are both still a 172

Clio 172 Cup
I am now the proud owner of a Clio 172 CUP, just bought it tonight and pick it up Saturday morning!
It has 17" OZ alloys on which I will be removing and going back to the Speedline Turini 16" wheels after everyones advice, so thanks again for that.

RB 197
I've been through them all. I've had a 182 cup, a ph1 172 and a ph2 172 cup. The best driving experience of them all is by far the 172 cup. If your looking for that 'raw' driving experience without the added comforts your in for a winner.

Ah ha. Just seen you've bought one....good man, enjoy.

Clio 172 Cup
well, I had bought one or rather put a deposit on one but upon further and closer inspection, there was too much that needed doing to it so I've withdrew my offer, so the search continues................

well, I had bought one or rather put a deposit on one but upon further and closer inspection, there was too much that needed doing to it so I've withdrew my offer, so the search continues................

probs abit far 4u m8 as ur in boro but i know that neef on here's cup has just come up 4 sale but its cambridge

Clio 172 Cup
probs abit far 4u m8 as ur in boro but i know that neef on here's cup has just come up 4 sale but its cambridge
yeah, thats a bit far to be honest but thanks for letting me know!
I'm off to Manchaster in the morning to look at one, so fingers crossed i'll be driving back up to Boro in it!

DCi 80 DieselSport
Cup = less 'stuff' = less things that can go wrong. Always a winner.

Cup = more prestige. They're getting rarer by the day as rich-kid 17 y/old's can't handle them.

Cup = The best mix of a reasonably low budget road/track car that if looked after will see you well into 6-figure milage. You'll never get bored.

Cup = a 2L16v that can do 40mpg (+/- 10% of course ;P)

Cup = Arguably the best driver-focused RS of the lot.

Beyond the Cup....?

An AG 200 of course ;)

Seat Ibiza
See I love my standard 172, partly due to the fact I love xenons, climate and cruise, but then again, I can still get 40mpg and the cup is only 0.1second faster 0-60.
But then again, everyones different, plus Im not a massive fan of the poverty spec seats!

Listerine & Poledo
Unless they hold a current and valid super-license I raise an eybrow to anyone who says about their Cup having the vastly superior handling they all crow on about.

The 0.1 to 60 will quickly be negated by whoever treats their clutch with the least respect and the cornering will come down to who's got the biggest sack / least intelligence, coupled to what rubber they're running.

Basically, unless you drive cars on circuits for a living, you're not likely to notice any positive difference between the two, so why not just get the more easily-found and far more habitable 172.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Cup = less 'stuff' = less things that can go wrong. Always a winner.

Cup = more prestige. They're getting rarer by the day as rich-kid 17 y/old's can't handle them.

Cup = The best mix of a reasonably low budget road/track car that if looked after will see you well into 6-figure milage. You'll never get bored.

Cup = a 2L16v that can do 40mpg (+/- 10% of course ;P)

Cup = Arguably the best driver-focused RS of the lot.

Beyond the Cup....?

An AG 200 of course ;)

What a load of waffle!