ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172... what should i look out for?

Basically next saturday i am going to look at my first cliosport a black 172 i know its on 101,000 miles :( big facepalm as im getting rid of my 106 gti on 60k but i want a new project....

what sort of thing shall i look out for on these?

also does anyone know the differance in speeds etc with the 106 GTi and the clio 172? will there be much in it or hardly noticable?

Ben

Listerine & Poledo
Gearbox (see if you can get 3rd gear without hassles)
Cam & aux belts done every 60k or 5 years without argument.

There's not much in it between GTi's and 172s.

Gearbox (see if you can get 3rd gear without hassles)
Cam & aux belts done every 60k or 5 years without argument.

There's not much in it between GTi's and 172s.

yeah will take a look out for these then. also i have been trying to do some research on these. what is the best way to get more power out of these without going supercharged or turbo?

fast road cams? port and polished head? 4-2-1? decat straight through exhaust and induction?

also can you remap the standard ECUs i know on the 106 you can not remap a standard ecu and standalone is just silly money as i was running 160bhp on my pug at one point from cams manifold echaust induction and p&p head. is it possible to push a 172 engine over 200bhp and keeping it strong without forging everything. dont want to be breaking the bank. willing to spend a decent amount on the rite things. want to do it rite first time round. im not the type of person who would buy an electric supercharger like some sort of t**t off ebay. i was really well known on 106 owners for my car im not a little fool who is going to put 17s on a 1.2 and think im a gangster.

Listerine & Poledo
you'll be pouring money away for little results on NA, but good for you for not being swayed by boost. NA is for winners.

All the usual "refinements" (filters, exhausts etc.) make the usual differences (none).

ITB's, Cams, removing the Cat etc. seem to be the favourites on here. To be honest, I don't know, I dont 'do' modz. There's plenty of experts though.

Unless you're going to go for throttle bodies or a special direct-intake, dont fuss about your airbox at all, leave it as is and throw in a high-flow panel, it's as ood as it'll get... unless you want it to sound broken, then go for your life on K&N or the other usual cone-filters (but you sound like you're not in for just making noise without the go to back it up)

you'll be pouring money away for little results on NA, but good for you for not being swayed by boost. NA is for winners.

All the usual "refinements" (filters, exhausts etc.) make the usual differences (none).

ITB's, Cams, removing the Cat etc. seem to be the favourites on here. To be honest, I don't know, I dont 'do' modz. There's plenty of experts though.

Unless you're going to go for throttle bodies or a special direct-intake, dont fuss about your airbox at all, leave it as is and throw in a high-flow panel, it's as ood as it'll get... unless you want it to sound broken, then go for your life on K&N or the other usual cone-filters (but you sound like you're not in for just making noise without the go to back it up)

nahhh thats fair enough i want to do it rite first time round rather than my 106 think i had 7 differant sets of wheels on that. want to get it stanced and looking sweet and then go for some power. may have to be throttle bodies. i know with the 106 it was jenvy trottle bodies the ones to get is it basically the same with the clio? and its not about all show and no go. if your making the noise you MUST have the power to back it up.