ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - FIA group N homologation dilemma

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
We have been racing in our national championship with Clio 182 which was prepared in order to meet FIA homologation for group N number: N 5637 (from 01.12.2001.). There is another, newer homologation from 2003: N 5659.

1. N 5637 - 01.12.2001. - Clio Sport 2.0 Type CB1N - 1998.4 cc
1. N 5659 - 01.04.2003. - Clio Sport 2.0 Type CB1N Ragnotti - 1998.4 cc

I know that our car wasn't built from original Ragnotti, but can we prepare it according to this newer homologation? Is it allowed to do this?

Last edited:
You'd have to talk to the law setters but I don't see why you couldn't you'd need a new certification class for the car though since the 5659 car is a None ABS equit cup your car has ABS and a few other things.

We have already removed ABS because it is alowed when homologated mechanical rear braking distributor (and in this case hydrualic handbrake) is fitted. (Appendix J – Art.254 - Specific Regulations for Production Cars - Group N.

I'm under impression that scrutineers in my country are not exacly professionals and I'm not confident in their knowledge so I want oppinions from other countries. We will be attending few European Hill Climb Championship events and I want to be sure that we can prepare our car according to newer Ragnotti homologation.

Another dillema is air conditioning compressor. Can you read following rule and explain it to me if we can remove that compressor or not:

6.7.2.6) Heating system:
The original heating equipment must be retained.
The following parts of the air conditioning system may be
removed: condenser and auxiliary fan, fluid tank, evaporator and
fan, expansion valve, as well as all pipes, connections, contact
switches, sensors and actuators necessary for the functioning of
the system.
Only if its drive system is completely independent of any other
system will it be possible to remove the air conditioning
compressor. If that is not the case, the removal of the air
conditioning compressor must be homologated in VO.
The compressor may be rendered inoperative.
If certain elements are common with the heating system, they
must be retained.

We have already removed ABS because it is alowed when homologated mechanical rear braking distributor (and in this case hydrualic handbrake) is fitted. (Appendix J – Art.254 - Specific Regulations for Production Cars - Group N.

I'm under impression that scrutineers in my country are not exacly professionals and I'm not confident in their knowledge so I want oppinions from other countries. We will be attending few European Hill Climb Championship events and I want to be sure that we can prepare our car according to newer Ragnotti homologation.

Another dillema is air conditioning compressor. Can you read following rule and explain it to me if we can remove that compressor or not:

6.7.2.6) Heating system:
The original heating equipment must be retained.
The following parts of the air conditioning system may be
removed: condenser and auxiliary fan, fluid tank, evaporator and
fan, expansion valve, as well as all pipes, connections, contact
switches, sensors and actuators necessary for the functioning of
the system.
Only if its drive system is completely independent of any other
system will it be possible to remove the air conditioning
compressor. If that is not the case, the removal of the air
conditioning compressor must be homologated in VO.
The compressor may be rendered inoperative.
If certain elements are common with the heating system, they
must be retained.

You can remove it personaly I'd ask if you could swop to the none RS heater system and you realy would want to remove the Conpressor pump but your not allowed to hence one reason the 172 is handy as its already missing it.

You can remove it personaly I'd ask if you could swop to the none RS heater system and you realy would want to remove the Conpressor pump but your not allowed to hence one reason the 172 is handy as its already missing it.

So you are saying that I can remove air conditioning compressor or what?

Renaultsport 220T
Might be worth while contacting R-sport, they are the main motorsport supplier in the uk for all Renaultsports.

R. Sport Ltd
9 Nelson Trading Estate Morden Road
South Wimbledon
London
SW19 3BL
Day: 020 8540 7366
Fax: 07002 722466

r_sport_uk@hotmail.com

So you are saying that I can remove air conditioning compressor or what?

Well as I read it no you cannot.

But you need to have a word with the organiser IMO as removing it is just the same as what the 172 Cups can have so seem unfair you having to carry it plus its extra weight and hastle.

Well as I read it no you cannot.

But you need to have a word with the organiser IMO as removing it is just the same as what the 172 Cups can have so seem unfair you having to carry it plus its extra weight and hastle.

Yes, it seems unfair... Ragnotti's minimal homologated weight is 935 kg and our is 1027 kg...it is huge difference...(we have to be around 203 pounds havier).

Renault Clio 172 rally
hello! I am from Latvia

I have a rally N3 group Clio in my garage, and to next season we want to modify engine and some other parts, so can anybody please sent homologation for Clio II phase1. Very please! Later I will post some pictures of my rally car and training car!