ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Not Starting After Car wash.

Clio 182 2004
Hi guys

I am usually good at fixing things, but this has got me flumoxed!

The car is 182 54reg 78k miles, good condition.

I recently performed a Timing belt and Aux belt change(I am experienced at this). After that the car ran fine with no problems.

2 weeks later I gave the car a proper wash, very wet. After that she no longer starts. She will turn over for approx 3 seconds but not catch.

I have tried:
- check fuel pump voltage/running
- check there is fuel pressure in the rail
- got new battery(old one was probably OK)
- checked all fuses in the engine bay fuse box
- removed relays, cleaned contact and replaced(this was the solution last time this happen a few years ago)

Other points:
- I wrecked the bonnet sensor when doing the belt change. I don't think this could be connected to problem.

I'm pretty sure the engine timing hasn't gone out of time. No obvious valve interference.

Any ideas please? (wife is threatening to make me scrap her if I can't getting going in time for end of lock down :( :( )

Best

Jon

Clio 182 2004
Additional: Just attached the OBD 2 and got DTC codes:
P0141 (O2 sensor fault): due to Cat removal
P0443 (Fuel Purge Solenoid Fault): due to purge valve removal

I am 99.999% sure these DTCs will not start a car from running. Just to be sure I cleared the codes and car still doesn't start.

Clio 182 2004
Fixed! Whoop whoop! I get to keep Clio :)

I went into real detail analysing all car wiring and taking relays apart to check the coils etc. Everything looked fine. No joy.

Went back to basics and checked the immobiliser light, the light was staying red when trying to start it, Ah ha! Typical of me to forget to check the simple things first! Closed doors and had a play with the ignition/key (not actually sure what I did). Tried again and noticed this time the red light went off as it should and hey presto the car started.

Car now starting. The only annoying thing is that I don't actually know what the problem was and how it magically got fixed.

My guess is that by washing the car I accidently somehow upset something in the engine wiring? Then by messing around with the key I somehow fluked a reset in the system...

Thanks

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Worth removing and cleaning all the earthing points, particularly the large strap to the inner arch near the gearbox. Clean up the bolts and bolt holes too that mount it

Clio 182 2004
Worth removing and cleaning all the earthing points, particularly the large strap to the inner arch near the gearbox. Clean up the bolts and bolt holes too that mount it
Interesting you should say that. The last thing I did before it started working was to wiggle the big green copper earthing wire between the Gearbox and Chassis. I dismissed though under the thought of: how can an earth wire stop working?? As long as it's touch the thing it needs then if should be working right?? The bolts were still tight and no breaks in the ribbon.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Interesting you should say that. The last thing I did before it started working was to wiggle the big green copper earthing wire between the Gearbox and Chassis. I dismissed though under the thought of: how can an earth wire stop working?? As long as it's touch the thing it needs then if should be working right?? The bolts were still tight and no breaks in the ribbon.
Mine had exact same starting issue, was that strap. Strap itself was fine but the mountings corrode. Bolts and bolt holes clean up with wire brush attachment on drill fixed it

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Mine did this intermittently a while back. Its a comms fault between immobiliser and another system (likely the ECU).

Mine was fixed initially by wiggling wires near the earth strap. Fault came back.

Was solved permanently by removing the top of the fuse box, disconnecting the white connector block, cleaning up contacts and reassembling using dielectric grease.