ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - Oil leak under engine - Common Areas?

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I’ve had an advisory on my MOT for the last few years for an oil leak.
I’m trying to locate it to fix but I’m struggling to find the source. I've cleaned up the underside the best I can in an attempt to find it so time will now tell.
However, are there some common areas to investigate?
I've attached some images to give an idea of where I think the leak is based on the amount of oil.

20230825_114926232_iOS.jpg

20230825_114940607_iOS.jpg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I had 4 leaks on my old engine, 3 of which I managed to fix myself.

The most common one (I wasn't able to fix) is from the gearbox selector seal (in your first picture) which can only really be fixed by opening the gearbox.

The other 3 I found were :

1. Thermostat housing gasket - oil running down the engine onto the gearbox. Fairly easy job to sort with the engine in situ.
2. Crankshaft oil seal (behind flywheel) - oil running down the engine and onto the box. You'd need to remove the gearbox to do this.
3. Sump gasket - right where your second picture is. Again worked its way down to the sump. Can be removed with the engine in situ.

Difficult to pinpoint when the engine is dirty and moving around as the air blows it all over.

Give everything a good degrease with a stiff brush, then steam and dry off.

Then leave it standing overnight, then have another look. The sump probably won't leak while the vehicle is standing still, but the thermostat and crankshaft seal will. The gearbox seal will, especially if you sit in the car and play with the gears.

I ended up whipping the engine out to do mine and tidied it all up while I was there. The gearbox got swapped for a lower mileage one I already had, as the leak was so bad. I kept it as a spare.

Last edited:

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The above areas are all good ones. Loads leak from the selector seal.

I blasted the underside of the box and engine with brake cleaner and it took about 99% off. It was then easy to spot mine was the sump gasket. I’d recommend doing similar to try and narrow it down. The box oil stinks so easy enough to spot when it’s fresh by giving it a sniff

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I had 4 leaks on my old engine, 3 of which I managed to fix myself.

The most common one (I wasn't able to fix) is from the gearbox selector seal (in your first picture) which can only really be fixed by opening the gearbox.

The other 3 I found were :

1. Thermostat housing gasket - oil running down the engine onto the gearbox. Fairly easy job to sort with the engine in situ.
2. Crankshaft oil seal (behind flywheel) - oil running down the engine and onto the box. You'd need to remove the gearbox to do this.
3. Sump gasket - right where your second picture is. Again worked its way down to the sump. Can be removed with the engine in situ.

Difficult to pinpoint when the engine is dirty and moving around as the air blows it all over.

Give everything a good degrease with a stiff brush, then steam and dry off.

Then leave it standing overnight, then have another look. The sump probably won't leak while the vehicle is standing still, but the thermostat and crankshaft seal will. The gearbox seal will, especially if you sit in the car and play with the gears.

I ended up whipping the engine out to do mine and tidied it all up while I was there. The gearbox got swapped for a lower mileage one I already had, as the leak was so bad. I kept it as a spare.
Thanks. I've got some brake cleaner so I'll give it a good clean and report back when I have a better idea of where it might be leaking from. Hopefully not that many places!

rstuned 182ff bg
Hello Lads, hope your well. My BG 182 gearbox selector seal has been goosed for a while, so while the BG was having a new clutch+bearing, I told the lads at my local garage to fit a seal kit replacement, One of the cheapo kits, The ones with the two o rings + split seals, Iv'e just nipped in to see how they are getting on, To find after kit is fitted it's now not selecting reverse gear, Even with the gearbox selecto arm off, So under the car on the ramp, trying to manually select the gears, it'll go in all the gears , but no reverse , Anybody ever had this problem. Also if i'm totally honest i don't have any faith it the shite seal kit really , My question is chaps, If i buy the correct seal + bush kit 8201048885 is it an expensive job for some gearbox referb place to fit it, If i drop the box off for them , Any ruff ideas lads , I'm just tryna get some kind of idea. Cheers

rstuned 182ff bg
Thanks Mr Underhill , Just been looking at a post on gearbox selectors by Northloopcup , so i'll see if he replies here , if not i'll drop him a message . Top man thank you .

rstuned 182ff bg
Luckily my gears seem to by ok , as in not crunching, I think that's down to me not driving it that hard ?, My problem is just the leak on the selector shaft

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hello Lads, hope your well. My BG 182 gearbox selector seal has been goosed for a while, so while the BG was having a new clutch+bearing, I told the lads at my local garage to fit a seal kit replacement, One of the cheapo kits, The ones with the two o rings + split seals, Iv'e just nipped in to see how they are getting on, To find after kit is fitted it's now not selecting reverse gear, Even with the gearbox selecto arm off, So under the car on the ramp, trying to manually select the gears, it'll go in all the gears , but no reverse , Anybody ever had this problem. Also if i'm totally honest i don't have any faith it the shite seal kit really , My question is chaps, If i buy the correct seal + bush kit 8201048885 is it an expensive job for some gearbox referb place to fit it, If i drop the box off for them , Any ruff ideas lads , I'm just tryna get some kind of idea. Cheers
It’s a strip down job to do the bushes and seal properly. End of. No other way.

The seal they’ve fitted needs to be all the way in the box as well. I’d imagine it’s standing proud and not letting the box select reverse. Reverse gear is selected by pushing the lever all the way into the box and then pulling backwards (towards the rear of the car)for reference.

If the box was brought to me, you’re looking at 1hrs work tops to replace the seal/bush. I could probably do it in 20 mins if the pubs were just about to open. 😂

rstuned 182ff bg
Your 100% spot on with what you have just said, the selector seal is sitting proud , so won't push up into the box fully to select reverse..Right gonna go and see the lads at the garage tomorrow , and maybe get the gearbox pulled out.....A new seal / bush kit bought , and a trip down to you very soon then. So expect a messge soon then, I'm near Preston , Lanc's , Can i ask is it worth me doing to 4 hour round trip to , Or could any good reputable gearbox ferb place more local to me , be capeable , Also what kind of Ball park figure price wise am i looking at pal.....Thanks for your speedy reply , means alot , Big Thanks .

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Your 100% spot on with what you have just said, the selector seal is sitting proud , so won't push up into the box fully to select reverse..Right gonna go and see the lads at the garage tomorrow , and maybe get the gearbox pulled out.....A new seal / bush kit bought , and a trip down to you very soon then. So expect a messge soon then, I'm near Preston , Lanc's , Can i ask is it worth me doing to 4 hour round trip to , Or could any good reputable gearbox ferb place more local to me , be capeable , Also what kind of Ball park figure price wise am i looking at pal.....Thanks for your speedy reply , means alot , Big Thanks .
Tbh any decent gearbox place could sort it. 👍🏻

rstuned 182ff bg
Seems of late when i'm looking at buying new genuine parts ....everything has gone through the roof. Iv'e owned my BG for around 15/16 years now, and just tring to keep another old BG on the road. Ace to know that you rebuild JC5 boxes making them live on abit longer ...