ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO 182 OR New GTI GOLF 200

Our 50yr old Female IT manager has a new golf 2.0FSI (probably would have got a GTI if it was out @time).. says it all really. its a hothatch wannabe and it does a great job of making 50yr olds feel younger.

but just like the posing show off (yes i do know hes a tw*t outside of his car aswell ) in his 45k+ new BMW 735i that couldnt escape me upto !25 mph on several opcasions now, the one thing a golf GTI doesnt have is the Sleeper effect.

how satisfying.. :D i love staying on the tail of faster cars especially german uber barges. every man and his dog outside of this forum underestimates the speed of a 182 and if they dont then they generally respect the beast.

i cant see once the initial buzz dies down how il notice them ? i hardly notice bmw m3s because there are that many around.

Clio 197

Hmmm, Ill have a look at my local VW garage, and see if I can get a test drive...

Ill post my opinion if I get a drive.

Oms.

Another "says it all story":

My other halfs father is a bona-fide, signet ring-wearing, corduroy trousers, trout-fishing, fine wine connoisseur of the first order. He likes his cars green in colour and to have enough space so that he can carry his latest fish catch to the smokery. Driving dynamics? Whats that? Performance is for washing machines.

His choice of car? A Mk4 Golf GTi - soon to be a Mk5 (de-badged of course... how vulgar to have "GTi" on the back).

E91 M Sport

You could tell from the Top Gear review, the way clarkson was throwing it into wet corners, that its a more sorted setup than the mk4 ever was (including the r32). Chances are its going to find the middle ground between the fun of the 182 and the motorway ability of the old Golf.

But until we actually get to drive it, its all just speculation!!

Quote: Originally posted by miketheman2k on 21 December 2004

You could tell from the Top Gear review, the way clarkson was throwing it into wet corners, that its a more sorted setup than the mk4 ever was (including the r32). Chances are its going to find the middle ground between the fun of the 182 and the motorway ability of the old Golf.

But until we actually get to drive it, its all just speculation!!
when they reviewed the R32 Focus RS and 147GTA it was a really wet track and raining and no matter how hard they tried they couldnt get the R32 out of shape it just gripped. ive hardly seen a car that car carry that much speed in the wet and not complian. so for my money both cars are going to be safer to drive than a 182 and grip better in the wet (r32 much more so). but in the dry the 182 would be more rewarding.

watching top gear it seemed to understeer on the track and generaly be really untidy.. clarkson "look no understeer through there" biased and false.

bet those times were fabricated aswell. but obviously the target market of Topgear viewers can afford 20k on a hothatch.

all clarkson said about the 182 was how cheap i felt and talked about exposed screw heads ? yet around the track it was so composed and tight easily as good as the elise only less power. perfect.

E91 M Sport

The R32 is good in the wet, it has 4wd, but does that make it fun? not really. Most people like driving hot hatches near the limit and in safety, and the R32 is too heavy and the dynamics simply dont let it perform like a nimbler car, like the 182 or even the CTR.

The new golf has a new chassis and suspension setup which is meant to add to the drivers involvement. I agree that Top Gear, and 5th Gear especially, are funded by, and therefore biased towards, the advertiser that pays the most...but Evo magazine also thought the new golf was a massive improvement and I believe that they would give a fair and honest opinion.

However, back on topic, Id choose the 182.

Thanks to all of you guys , you all have been a great help,Iv been to the local dealer and tested drive the 182, well its real fun ,only felt some difficulty in changing from first to second gear - I mean it was not smoth changing- and reaching above 5k rpm the auto disingaged the motor , the sales man said its to protect the motor ,but all it was fun , on the other hand the vw dealer got the mk5 gti but for exhibition only not for test drivr, but after seen it and reading about it although its gona abuse my bank account,Iv paid a deposit for one which may arrive end of Jan , then I will let you know howit perform, A happy new year every one:)

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 30 December 2004

depends if you want something that will fall to bits, if not get the gti
have been reading through lots of posts and all yours seem to be negative, dont know if its a bad experience with your 182 or if your just fed up about something. basically whats your problem :confused:

can we help

Yaris Hybrid

20k and he didnt get a WRX, terrible.

Bit of a strange thread though.

Starts off with the following statement:

"THE PRICE DIFFERENT IS $8000 the golf is much more expensive than the Clio , both cars has similer performance"

Not sure how someone can make that statement then buy the Golf. I guess this is another case of "IPOD Syndrome"?