ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Starting problem.

Clio 182
Hi

My 2004 182 with original battery has been playing up on start up.
It's been fine recently but i know it will play up again soon.

Last time i used it was last night at 19.00.
Just started it again succesfully with a multimeter on the battery.

So with about 20hrs past since last use the battery had dropped to 12.32v
Upon start up the multimeter did drop and read 8.9v then once alternator kicked in reading on the multimeter went to 14.51v

Ran the car for a few mins turned it off and checked the battery and again reading was 12.32v

My uncle said if the battery drops below 9.8v during startup then it's time for a new battery.

Another thing to mention is that there seems to be a weird buzzin noise from around the key barrell/dashboard area. This noise only last a few secs during startup then goes away. This doesn't happen all the time though.

Once the car is started it runs perfect no other faults what so ever.

So i've done this test once and seen 8.9v, shall i do a couple more similar tests over the next few days or just get a new battery?

Cheers
Rob

Clio 182
Just noticed that the light is flashing in between the stop and service lights.
When the alarm is disarmed the light continues to flash.
When the ignition is switched on the light goes out.
After the ignition is switched off a few secs and it's flashing again.

I can't remember if this is normal or not am i correct to assume this is the imobilsor light.

Any suggestions on this?

Cheers

Light in the middle is the immobiliser, as long as it goes out after a few secs with the ignition on that's normal and should flash when the cars not being used.

Do you find that the trip computer resets itself, that seems to be a common indicator that u need a new battery.

Clio 182
It doesn't look to me like the trip computer has reset itself.
I did just hold down the button on the end of the stalk and turn the ignition on. This lit up all the dash lights car beeped alot and i noticed the mph needle went around the dash in i think 30mph chunks from 160mph down to 0 and back again. Wasn't sure how long you had to do this for so watched for a few cycles then turned off. Didn't look like it had reset anything ....oh well.

Noticed that with the ignition on and handbrake light off only 2 lit lights are the battery light and the stop light.

Is that normal that the battery light and stop light remain on?

Cheerz
Rob

Clio 182
After all this my fault was sorted out by replacing the battery.

Took the car to quickfit they tested the battery and said it was ok but if i was having cold starting issues then it could be worth replacing.

So i replaced and problem solved.

Cheers
Rob

After all this my fault was sorted out by replacing the battery.

Took the car to quickfit they tested the battery and said it was ok but if i was having cold starting issues then it could be worth replacing.

So i replaced and problem solved.

Cheers
Rob

Ive been gettin that buzzin from my dash! sounds like a new battery.

clio sport 172
is that a true fact because my trip computer resets its self everytime i switch the car off and it buzzes