ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - The project that almost never was!

172 Race Car
Such a great car to drive. So much fun on track.

Thanks again for trusting me with it.

web.jpg

Glacier White Clio 197
Threads like this make me want to sell my 197 and get a 182. :(

The car looks absolutely EPIC.

Glacier White Clio 197
How much did the full AST setup set you back if you don't mind me asking? Including set-up and the likes. I'm just trying to get figures of what it would cost me for when/if i get rid of my 197.

You can Pm me the price if you don't want everybody to know. :p

I've go no worries anybody knowing the price, it was £1700. That was for the full kit inc top mounts, re-valved, built to my spec, and the whole car corner weighted.

Might be a lot, but I have no regrets. The car handles amazingly well, everyone who has been in the car has commented on it straight away.

Let me know if you need anymore info :)

Clio RS 197
I thought I'd start a project thread, I never thought I would but the car is sort of turning into a project :)

First off, bought the 182 back in October 08 for £5950

This is the advert pic :)

clioside1.jpg

Very pleased with it, only problems were the consumables, so it needed two new front tyres and front pads (and discs really!)

Car back at home:
DSC_8860.jpg

So when I tried to get the front wheels off, I got stuck in taking the locking nut off. It was done up EXTREMELY tight!

A very kind chap called Burp offered to help as he was down the road (I didnt know him at this point).

We ended up chiselling the bugger off!

After that I went on a few local meets in Gloucestershire, and met some more locals, who were all keen track enthusiasts, and all of them had stripped cars etc

I thought of doing this to mine, be thought against it initially. So I stuck with the basics, new front pads and discs (Brembo HCs and Mintex 1144s)

I then purchased a second hand set of Eibach Sportlines of Quade, and Burp (Jay) was kind enough to stick them on for me too :)

I then got my alloys refurbed, and went for a darker grey colour. I also painted the badges etc the same colour:

DSC_8959.jpg

DSC_8963-copy.jpg

DSC_0403-1.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

Then Jay offered to take me to a track day, well more a car show with track time at Mallory Park.

I was pretty s**t scared initially, not having done anything like that before! And Jay spun it which didnt help my confidence lol!

After that I was hooked, and then booked in for a RS day at Bedford. Again, Jay was kind enough to lend me his track wheels, with lighter alloys and 888s (which were on the way out anyway).

Before I did that trackday, the strippage bug was starting to bite, and I took a few simple things out :)

DSC_8972.jpg

On my first trackday, with Jay at my side helping me along. I think I did ok, although Jay told me a was s**te to start with but eventually got a lot better towards the end of the day:

_ZZZ5826.jpg

I had an immense time, and I was properly hooked from then on! :cool:

So as I was going to do a few more days, it was about time I got my own track wheels. So I got some Pro Race 1.2s in 15", and some second hand 888s to last me for a while.

DSC_0065-1.jpg

I also ditched the Recaro Trendline, as good as they are on the road, they werent much good on track, I was all over the place! So I got some Bimarco Futuras and some Sabelt harnesses....oh and a Sabelt steering wheel to ditch the standard 'ship' wheel!

A local RR day popped up too (organised by Burp). I had never done one before, was a good day. Met a lot of good guys, and was a good test to see that the car was good and healthy :)

DSC_0750.jpg

Not bad for just a RSTuner remap :)
RR-Graph.jpg

This is back at Bedford, as much as I would love to have tried a circuit like Oulton or Cadwell etc, I thought it best to stick with Bedford to get a bit better on a more 'basic' track:

(This time, Mr Hunter was in the passenger seat giving advice!)
_ZZZ2399.jpg

By this time, I was properly hooked to doing trackdays more often, so I eventually decided to go down the full strippage route:

DSC_4035.jpg

DSC_2322.jpg

DSC_2323.jpg

DSC_2326.jpg

For a few months I actually managed to leave it alone, but one thing was inevitable.....coilovers!

So last week I picked up the car from Powerstation having the full AST kit fitted, including top mounts etc. The bill wasnt cheap, but my gold has it changed how the car behaves!

As it stands today:
DSC_2321.jpg

Can't wait to get it on track, so the track bookage commenced!

Booked so far:

Bedford 26th April (To kind of re-learn how to drive the car)
Oulton Park - 7th July (RS Day)

I will soon book Silverstone on the 4th August. Not sure what others to do yet, I really want to do Cadwell, so I might look out for an afternoon to do there.

Oh....and of course....the epic Euro road trip coming up this summer with a few lads off here - stopping off at the Ring on the way back too :evil:

Im off for a few days this week, so I'm gonna have a go at putting some brake cooling ducts it, hence why the fogs are missing in the last pic.

So that's it really.....all this because I struggled with my wheel nut and a local chap helped me out. If I hadn't have met him I probably would have a fairly standard car and not a ruined one lol!

I'll update this with anything interesting :)

Very nice car mate. I really do think you have done a superb job and looks the part. :D

Hopefully if my racing goes well and see how things pan out for next season, hoping to get a new road car which would be a clio 182 cup with both cup packs. I want it in your colour blue as well. Think it's mondial or aritic blue.

What I want to do is exactly what you have done which would be to put 2 birmaco seats in the front and strip the back out but leave the pack carpeted if that is possible after removing the rear seats? I was going to but red Scroth 4 point harnesses in there but i think blue look nice to. They blend with the colour of the car.

The only dilema i have if i take the rear seats out is that i can't leave too much in the rear of the car as it's visable and don't want anyone to break into it, no matter whether i put up the parcel shelf of not. lol.

I also want to put the same alloys as the clio 172 cup has got but a tiny bit bigger or just lower the suspension a bit to make them stand out more.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay to have the two Birmaco seats put in?

Well done once again bud!!! ;)

197 cup
Alrite mate I happened to see the your 182 in jasons yard the other day as my old man does a lot of business with him. Car looks epic btw. Shame it's just sat there :/ sorry it's a bit of a random post lol