ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Trophy

Broken Diesel Megane :(
I am putting in an offer on a house today, and though it will be a good few weeks before i find out about it (and possibly some bidding to do), i am weighing up the idea of selling the 197.

Reason...

Selling the 197 for say £12-13k would free up alot of monthly cash (£291.00 to be exact), which i know would be of far better use elsewhere.

Now this is where the title of the thread comes in, would you sell up for a 182 trophy? Have always liked them, the seats are p**n, colour and wheels, all tick the right boxes.

Been looking about, and can get a good one for about £8.5k and an excellent one for nearer £10k.

Never actually driven one, so could someone tell me if they do live up to the hype, and if it would be worth the change.

Only draw back i see, is the loss of warranty (unless i go for a 55 plate which i will be trying to do).

Cheers

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
^^ only suitable if no family.

So counts that out, also mates that have had them would not recommend them:dapprove:

Darren, you have to re think your price looking at the ones on RS:mad:

^^ only suitable if no family.

So counts that out, also mates that have had them would not recommend them:dapprove:

Darren, you have to re think your price looking at the ones on RS:mad:

for my car?

i know the depreciation is horrific, but mine is realy a well specced car (in my eyes anyway), i dont think £12k is a bad price in the private market for a 197, have been offered £11,500 trade in.

as for the trophy, i think around £10k would get a good 'un

clio trophy No56
I bought a trophy about 1 month ago and got to say its an awsome car, i used to own a FF182 and i didnt expect much more from teh trophy but as soon as you go around a corner fast you realise just what the trophy was built for, much better than my FF182 was. Go for it, u wont be sorry.:)

You can buy a new one for 13k

with recaros, speedlines, ipod, privacy glass, and all other options?

i specced the car up on the website and came to £17,800 (approx), so you cant get the same car brand new for £13k.

black gold 182
im not that clued up what extras do the trophys come with that make them better than just a 182?

really its the seats (recaros) and the suspension, sachs fully dampened suspension, cant remember the exact figure but its around £3k to replace the whole suspension. also it was a limited run of 500.

black gold 182
wow sweet - wouldnt mind a little upgrade :)

but to be honest id rather have a 197, ive seen a few awesome ones around and now im loving them!

320d
Just an observation but why sell your 197 for 12-13K after taking a bit hit in depresiation. Then buy a trophy for 10K you have only free'd up 2-3K and you will still have car payments.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Advertise your motor for cash price or take a trophy & 2K cash.

Car + cash is best bet;)

Only one deal instead of 2.

But if you're buying a house, £2k is not gonna get you very far. If you need money for a new house, then selling the 197 and getting a cheap runaround would be more sensible, however, as a compromise, Clio172 Cups can be had for around 5K, giving you an extra £7k

But if you're buying a house, £2k is not gonna get you very far. If you need money for a new house, then selling the 197 and getting a cheap runaround would be more sensible, however, as a compromise, Clio172 Cups can be had for around 5K, giving you an extra £7k

its not for buying a house, it would cover solicitors fees, surveys etc. far better use than lying depreciating in a car no?

Sorry I assumed from your opening sentence that it was to aid the purchase of a house.

I've recently bought a Trophy, its a fantastic car, great handling etc but as its French, it's gonna depreciate, even if its a limited edition. I've not been in a 197 let alone driven one, so can only go by what I've read, good handling, much better build quaility and driving position etc. Unless you feel the 197 is not for you or you really must change, I don't think you'll gain much in the long run if you chopped it in for a Trophy. IMO, If you really want to save money, then you should be looking at getting something a lot cheaper, hence the 172 CUP. If you're worried about depreciation, then I suggest something like an E30 M3 or something of that vintage where its now has little depreciation .

Sorry I assumed from your opening sentence that it was to aid the purchase of a house.

I've recently bought a Trophy, its a fantastic car, great handling etc but as its French, it's gonna depreciate, even if its a limited edition. I've not been in a 197 let alone driven one, so can only go by what I've read, good handling, much better build quaility and driving position etc. Unless you feel the 197 is not for you or you really must change, I don't think you'll gain much in the long run if you chopped it in for a Trophy. IMO, If you really want to save money, then you should be looking at getting something a lot cheaper, hence the 172 CUP. If you're worried about depreciation, then I suggest something like an E30 M3 or something of that vintage where its now has little depreciation .

ut the cup has nothin on offer in terms of "luxuries", where as the trophy has the excellent suspension and the nice seats.

i bought a 225 megane a year ago, and when i went into the dealership in Bristol (i am from Aberdeen) they had a trophy sitting outside and i very nearly cancelled the deal for the meg to take the trophy. love them that much.

Thing that worries me about the Trophy (and am considering, having owned a 182 a few years ago) is the cost of replacing suspension as they reach 40k plus miles.

Of course it may not 'need' replacing as in an MOT fail, but the whole purpose of the car is mega handling, so it fits that the suspension should be A1 - and in my opinion anthing with 60k on it is going to be getting a wee bit soggy.

Re the original poster, I'd have thought your 197 would be cheaper to run in the interim. You've taken the hit (I think it'd struggle to make 13k) and the 197 is covered by warranty, lower insurance. I worry a 10k 182 may drop quicker than an 11k 197. Just my musings...

I dont like the 197 simply because I would be buying as a second car, so dont need the refinements. I think its too fat / uneconomical etc, but beleive it is still a great drive.

VRS
i would sack off a trophy and get a ff 182 with coilies and recaros/aftermarket seats :D

far better colours available and more creature comforts (imo of course;))

plus you've then got the option to get proper seats, the trendlines are poop, the side bolsters are too soft to hold you nice and snug round bends and the ride height is too high...... pole positions on the other hand are a different story :approve:

Cayman S Edition 1
We have a 197 and a Trophy. They're both excellent cars and my wife loves the Trophy more.

Great choice IMO mate. But shame you have to sell the 197.

PS this is my first post. I tend to spend most of my time on rs.co.uk;)

We have a 197 and a Trophy. They're both excellent cars and my wife loves the Trophy more.

Great choice IMO mate. But shame you have to sell the 197.

PS this is my first post. I tend to spend most of my time on rs.co.uk;)

Good girl you got there ;)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
To be honest, you're gonna struggle to get £12k for it privately looking at PistonHeads - not trying to piss on your bonfire mate sorry heh. Maybe consider the economics a bit more carefully though, might be worth it if you're willing to roll in a £6k 172 instead heh :)

Dan

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Posted on RS.

Have lap times of Hockenheim.
Will give you some idea
Renaults:
R26 = 1.18.6 tested against, 230 GTI and ,Seat cupra
R27 = 1.20.20
Clio sport 2006 = 120.50
2.0 dci = 122.50
V6 = 120.20
Trophy 118.80

Defo shoots some theroies on here in the foot:quiet:

Golf R
Posted on RS.

Have lap times of Hockenheim.
Will give you some idea
Renaults:
R26 = 1.18.6 tested against, 230 GTI and ,Seat cupra
R27 = 1.20.20
Clio sport 2006 = 120.50
2.0 dci = 122.50
V6 = 120.20
Trophy 118.80

Defo shoots some theroies on here in the foot:quiet:

i don't regularly drive via the Hockenheim circuit on the way to work though :rasp:

Last edited:
  Golf R
Well, I part ex'd my '02 BMW 325i Sport for a Clio Trophy. What does that say to you? ;)

you'd had enough of people's hand gestures towards you cos you drove a BMW? ;)

you're in a group of people who have sold 325/330 coupes for a Trophy though