ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 vs New Cooper S

Renault Clio 182
I've had my 182 now for about 2 months and I absolutely love it, but I got a chance yesterday to drive a new cooper S.

I went and picked the mini up for my parents from Leicester and drove it back to Manchester, drove on the motor way and then over the snake pass.

I got to say, I've always been a fan of the cooper s, I think it feels and drives brilliantly, very refined on the motor way and has got go kart characteristics. Very similar to the clio sport.

The mini is a much nicer place to be in, more comfortable and no rattles and squeeks, on the motorway it was great (that 6th gear makes a massive difference) and then over the snake pass which was very fun indeed. However I couldn't help but think "I wish I was in my Clio".

As good as the mini is, I found the 182 more involving and more raw!!

Had a choice this morning to either drive the Cooper S or the 182 (which is two years older then the mini), I chose the 182. The clutch on the mini is so soft It doesn't feel sporty at all.

Now the mini cost us 12k, thats nearly 3 times what I paid for my 182, in terms on how it drives, imo is it worth the extra? NO WAY. Although I did like the refinement on the motorway and the German Quality.

Put it this way, Its okay for my parents because I can't really see my mum in the 182, but personally I wouldn't be able to justify the extra money for a cooper S over a 182. :lolup:

Golf GTD Mk7
Which S was it the super charged or the turbo? The newer one has a slightly better chassis. I know what you mean though. HATE the accelerator in the mini

I've had my 182 now for about 2 months and I absolutely love it, but I got a chance yesterday to drive a new cooper S.

I went and picked the mini up for my parents from Leicester and drove it back to Manchester, drove on the motor way and then over the snake pass.

I got to say, I've always been a fan of the cooper s, I think it feels and drives brilliantly, very refined on the motor way and has got go kart characteristics. Very similar to the clio sport.

The mini is a much nicer place to be in, more comfortable and no rattles and squeeks, on the motorway it was great (that 6th gear makes a massive difference) and then over the snake pass which was very fun indeed. However I couldn't help but think "I wish I was in my Clio".

As good as the mini is, I found the 182 more involving and more raw!!

Had a choice this morning to either drive the Cooper S or the 182 (which is two years older then the mini), I chose the 182. The clutch on the mini is so soft It doesn't feel sporty at all.

Now the mini cost us 12k, thats nearly 3 times what I paid for my 182, in terms on how it drives, imo is it worth the extra? NO WAY. Although I did like the refinement on the motorway and the German Quality.

Put it this way, Its okay for my parents because I can't really see my mum in the 182, but personally I wouldn't be able to justify the extra money for a cooper S over a 182. :lolup:
value.

a 52/03 mini is in essence trophy money.
the jcw would be the one for the enthusiasts imo.

Mk2 172
lol same 0-60 I think you'll find

yeh but since whens 0-60 meant anything at all! After that is where its at. and youll find the mini will pull away due to torque. I know ive been there and seen it! Only just kept ahead with no interior and bodies and cams!!!

Renault Clio 182
It was the new version with the Turbo. Everything about the new mini is different to the old.

the numbers between the mini and the 182 are pretty much exactly the same. But I still think round a track 182 will be faster. Day to day the cooper S is a very capable car, good car to live with, but it's nearly 3 times the price.

Mk2 172
It was the new version with the Turbo. Everything about the new mini is different to the old.

the numbers between the mini and the 182 are pretty much exactly the same. But I still think round a track 182 will be faster. Day to day the cooper S is a very capable car, good car to live with, but it's nearly 3 times the price.

Yes but its a new car so its going to be. The 182 was 15k once!
Youd struggle to shake off a mini on track!
Very capable cars.

MCS R56
Very little, if any difference between them to 100, give or take a hill or passenger. Straight road, no difference on a standard 182 and MCS turbo. The torque provides a bit more in gear acceleration.

I know this too.

a 182 is for made for the track though and it costs more since its newer and better built.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
i prefer the 182 :) you seen S's every single second of the day

both good cars

S3, Polo
I'd prefer an MCS.

An R53 (supercharged) for me though, the newer car looks odd, but then looks are subjective.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I don't often agree with Dan, but he's 100% right, the mini is quicker. The engine's a peach. Shame the chassis and steering are better on the SC mini.

Mini Cooper S
The Mini is more appealing due to its badge and it's aimed at the hot hatch posers, not the hot hatch track enthusiasts. Also the Mini holds its price very well! I want an R56 MCS, but then again..I am an estate agent :p

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
They are awesome fun on track though, very tail happy! And there are plenty upgrades around.

Mini Cooper S
I'm sure they are, but you wouldn't buy a MCS for the track...maybe the JCW? Would've thought a 200 would be a better track car?

Mk2 172
I'm mellowing with age. Hows the Meg?

me too lol. cant be arsed with all the arguing part of it apart from the audio side of things because it just bugs people bring so much science into the conversation but the problem is 99% of them dont have any practice in the subject or in car audio full stop and therefore dont realise that the scientific stuff is almost irrelevant. sounds stupid but its the truth!!!
lol
Yeah love the megane :) remapped now and its just such a good car.
I did love the clio but its nice to have 275lbft torque on tap ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
me too lol. cant be arsed with all the arguing part of it apart from the audio side of things because it just bugs people bring so much science into the conversation but the problem is 99% of them dont have any practice in the subject or in car audio full stop and therefore dont realise that the scientific stuff is almost irrelevant. sounds stupid but its the truth!!!
lol
Yeah love the megane :) remapped now and its just such a good car.
I did love the clio but its nice to have 275lbft torque on tap ;)
I was behind Naith's Meg when he nailed it. Turned into a speck very quickly.

Mk2 172
I was behind Naith's Meg when he nailed it. Turned into a speck very quickly.

its quite quick now. Before the map in standard trim its not really any quicker than a 182 but wen u have it mapped and gain 30+hp and 55lbft torque it makes a huge difference. I want stage 2 now.

Whos naith? wots his had done?

I agree with whoever said the new new Mini looks a bit "odd", it definitely doesn't look as nice as the original new Mini. They sit too tall, and the front end is now not quite as nice IMO - the original Cooper S sat perfectly from the factory.

Golf GTD Mk7
yeh but since whens 0-60 meant anything at all! After that is where its at. and youll find the mini will pull away due to torque. I know ive been there and seen it! Only just kept ahead with no interior and bodies and cams!!!

I know 0-60 means nothing, but on paper they are pretty much equal. Who ever was driving the clio in your "experience" must have either had a sh1t start, or doesn't know how to get the power down properly ;). Especially as it was modded too.lol

Mk2 172
I know 0-60 means nothing, but on paper they are pretty much equal. Who ever was driving the clio in your "experience" must have either had a sh1t start, or doesn't know how to get the power down properly ;). Especially as it was modded too.lol

It was me driving and wsnt from a standstill which is where the mini comes good cos its got more mid range than the clio. I only just stayed ahead of it!
And yes i do know how to drive lol. and it was dry so no need to worry bout getting power down on R888's! From a standstill racing is boring cos it tells u almost nothing about the real performance of a car. its figures like 30-70 or 30-120 where it matters cos there real world figures. if u take a mini and a 182 from 30 to 120 i can absolutely guarantee the mini will get there first!

Golf GTD Mk7
It was me driving and wsnt from a standstill which is where the mini comes good cos its got more mid range than the clio. I only just stayed ahead of it!
And yes i do know how to drive lol. and it was dry so no need to worry bout getting power down on R888's! From a standstill racing is boring cos it tells u almost nothing about the real performance of a car. its figures like 30-70 or 30-120 where it matters cos there real world figures. if u take a mini and a 182 from 30 to 120 i can absolutely guarantee the mini will get there first!

I know what you mean. Problem is if you're off cam with the clio whereas the mini has the turbo to compensate. Saying that I've heard they do have a little bit of turbo lag. At 30mph in 2nd gear though you should have enough kick to keep up with most to be honest. If you were in 3rd it would have been a different story really.

Mk2 172
I know what you mean. Problem is if you're off cam with the clio whereas the mini has the turbo to compensate. Saying that I've heard they do have a little bit of turbo lag. At 30mph in 2nd gear though you should have enough kick to keep up with most to be honest. If you were in 3rd it would have been a different story really.

yeh all turbo cars have a tiny bit tbh. My megane has a tiny bit but its alot more lively form 30 than say a 182. Its not much quicker than a 182 but theres always alot more power on tap as u get with the mini due to much more low down torque. Once u get the 182 on the boil theres not much in it but both the mini and megane are just marginally quicker once the numbers start going up

Golf GTD Mk7
yeh all turbo cars have a tiny bit tbh. My megane has a tiny bit but its alot more lively form 30 than say a 182. Its not much quicker than a 182 but theres always alot more power on tap as u get with the mini due to much more low down torque. Once u get the 182 on the boil theres not much in it but both the mini and megane are just marginally quicker once the numbers start going up

Yeah, but I presume once you start getting to top end (on a private runway of course) the clio should catch up to the mini?

MCS R56
Yeah, but I presume once you start getting to top end (on a private runway of course) the clio should catch up to the mini?

There is sod all difference to 100. In gear, the Mini will be quicker and at the top end but we're not talking 'into the sunset' here. As with a lot of hot hatches of this variety, there is nowt in it in real world driving - the advantage lies with the better driver.

Both are cracking cars and depending on what you want, can be great fun. If you want the quality and toys, go for the Mini. If you want the cheaper option that feels slightly rawer, get the 182.

If you want to outpace them both, get a Cupra diesel!!:rasp:

Having said all this, I am comparing the Mini turbo against my 172 Cup, which everyones knows is the fastest Clio sport.

Last edited:
  Mk2 172
There is sod all difference to 100. In gear, the Mini will be quicker and at the top end but we're not talking 'into the sunset' here. As with a lot of hot hatches of this variety, there is nowt in it in real world driving - the advantage lies with the better driver.

Both are cracking cars and depending on what you want, can be great fun. If you want the quality and toys, go for the Mini. If you want the cheaper option that feels slightly rawer, get the 182.

If you want to outpace them both, get a Cupra diesel!!:rasp:

Having said all this, I am comparing the Mini turbo against my 172 Cup, which everyones knows is the fastest Clio sport.

I know, I never said there would be alot in it :)