ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 / Clio 200 suspension differences

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
front dampers on my 197 are feeling past their best so looking to replace them. I notice the 197 Cup and 200 Cup ones are much the same price so was going to order a pair of 200 cup ones with 200 cup springs. Anyone know if they are a straight swap like 172 / 172 cup or are they different like 172 cup / 182 cup?

Cheers

Clio 197
The only issue is a revised top mount which came into force at sometime in 2009. Also i would want to change all 4 if you have a non cup rather than just the fronts. You will find the cup rears are much more expensive than non cup ones which may sway your decision. I replaced all my non cups ones and bought from renaultpartsdirect.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah all 4 will be changed, I'm just curious about the front as I know the rears are a straight swap.

interestingly enough the 200 rears are now half the price of the 197 rears!

so the revised top mount, is this only an issue if I'm re using the old top mount, as I'm replacing both top mounts too, so if ive got the dampers and top mounts and springs from the same reg plate car it shouldn't be an issue?

so far the list looks like...
200 cup dampers front x2
200 cup springs front x2
200 cup top mounts 2x
200 cup rear dampers x2
200 cup rear springs x2
200 cup steering rack
200 cup track rod ends

ouch!

dan's cast offs.
top mount size depends on the car, change was 2010. get h&r springs, loads cheaper than genuine ones.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
drove one on h&r springs wasn't a fan. Standard stuff is better Imo

do does it matter what top mounts I go for as long as it all matches? Is the shell/mounting the same?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I've saw them both as my GT had the newer ones, I'm just curious if both sets of struts and top mounts fit, for example my car will have the old setup so I can't use new springs and dampers on my car, but can I use the new springs, dampers and top mounts on my car?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
No the physical turrets in the newer cars are smaller I believe, so older 200/197 top mounts won't fit a newer car
Not sure of the actual change over date late 2009 rings a bell

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
fantastic that was the answer I was looking for, so I just Need a reg for an early 200? When did the 200 start production?

Sorry, I thought it was common knowledge that the newer ones are smaller so I didn't mention it. I'm a r****d for explaining things. My bad.

2009 iirc

I think the smaller top mount was added to 11 plate cars