ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 engine noise

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
Hi guys.
I am looking after a 197 and found one, but I do think the engine doesn't sound right.
Anyone here that can shed some light?

Thank you

Last edited:

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like its knocking its fanny off! If youre looking at it take the oil cap off and have a look at the cam lobes, if they're scratched and you can feel any grooves with a fingernail then walk away.

I've seen a few 197/200's be ran low on oil and they just get massive top end knocks. A mate of mine does meglio conversions so usually buys scrapped 200's that always have fucked top ends

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Is it me or are the 197/200’s turds compared to the 172/182?

Every time I look on the FB groups there’s a post about an issue with one.

I quite fancied one but I’ve really been put off with the gearbox and engine issues.

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
Finally managed to get the original video off FB, as on the phone was a pain in the a...

@Yorkshire Pudding thanks for the info.

@jameswrx this one also has the gearbox issue. I was willing to fix that, but hearing the engine, I am not going to bother. Don't want another money pit.
There are a lot of 197's , but when it comes to common issues to be fixed, very few have them sorted, and the one's that don't are still silly money.
This time last year, I was looking at Meglios, that were the price of a 197 now. Prices went up up up, but the cars are still piles of...