ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 F1

clio 182
I've seen one locally, and wondered if any body has anything I should look at, when going to view, I've seen the car about owned by an older chap.. but was always filthy...

So any do or donts??

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Main things with any 197 or R27 is to check see if the belts and service have been done.

The things I have found during ownership is the hub bearings were making a noise when I went from full lock to full lock. This required them to be replaced.
Also check the top mounts for wear and also I have found that the electric motor that is used for the steering column can wear and start to make a knocking noise.
Check to see if the dampeners are leaking as this will require them to be replaced.
If it is making a knocking noise from the boot it is a common problem of the boot not fully engaging with the latch and knocking. I have found a few turns round the latch with some electrical tape does the trick.

Melting steering wheel.
Bolster wear on the Recaros.

Also check to see if it makes a whining noise from the gearbox when it is in gear and pulling away.
This maybe the clutch thrust bearing and this will need to be replaced which is a good time to get the clutch and flywheel replaced at the same time.
3rd gear crunch on the gearbox means that it will soon need replacing.

These are all problems that I have encountered or known about since I bought mine.

I have found that checking Clio197.net to see if its been on the there and see if it is on any project threads.
This would give a good indication if there is any other problems it has had.

Also save your money for fuel! As they are not the greatest on fuel economy.

clio 182
it looks nice, but i cant see it until Wednesday night..
1980406_10203549360392236_4368099340319952075_o.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
the right colour.
with the wing and (actually relevant) stickers.
Buy it, buy it now

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
What Mileage is it on?
And do you know its build number.
mine is 458

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Out of all the range I wouldnt buy a 197 on 93k
You can almost guarentee that most of the high wear components have given up
- steering wheel
- hubs
- steering rack
- gearbox
- brake calipers ( binding / seized )
- A/C unit
- window seals
- exhaust manifold
- recaro seats
& so on....

clio 182
wouldnt you say just over 90k is about right for a 2007 plate car, 12 ish for 8 years, haven't seen it yet so will see, i know there's one on ebay for 6999 which looks mint, this one is just over half that..

A/C , Gear box (crunching) and exhaust manifold (cracked) were the issues I had with mine, I wouldn't own one again personally as its a matter of time for these issues to occur really........~75K mine was on

Listerine & Poledo
wouldnt you say just over 90k is about right for a 2007 plate car, 12 ish for 8 years, haven't seen it yet so will see, i know there's one on ebay for 6999 which looks mint, this one is just over half that..
The mileage may be about right for the year, but what @R-Sport Cars LTD is getting at is that there are lots of parts that will be tiring out and need spending on.

Problem is, that colour, that edition, is perfect. Clios just went downhill afterwards.

Besides, who's to say that any car you buy wont have a shopping list of issues to contend with

Listerine & Poledo
eeeeexactly.
I need to pour £300 a year of paint and metal into Listerine to stop it turning brown everywhere. That's motoring. If you don't like the costs, get the bus.

Listerine & Poledo
It is, but a balljoint on you average car costs £10 and takes 30 minutes to fit. On a 197 it's £60 and 2 hours.
Good job you only need 2 of them then, every blue moon.
If people are going to get hung up about running costs, then why isn't this CorsaSport12v.net

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Good job you only need 2 of them then, every blue moon.
If people are going to get hung up about running costs, then why isn't this CorsaSport12v.net

I'm not disagreeing with you, i'm 100% with you that if you are worring about the running costs (be that servicing, parts, tax, insurange or mpg etc) then it's the wrong car to buy.

Having said that, yes it's the same with any car of that age/mileage but parts for the 197/200 are generally more expensive than you would expect. As long as you understand that when buying, no issue.

Mini GP2
Flexi's are a ballache, mine went last year and its a big bill if they do fail. nearly all 197's should have had the belts done by now.
If that's the car in Norwich, i bought the Speedline Cup Racer wheels from the owner. The car is pretty much immaculate on the body; the bolsters need a re trim on the Recaro's but its a nice car nevertheless.

clio 182
Then, its not just your average car, I am a bit put off anyway, as I was keen to view it, I text to say could i go earlier and have a look, but the chap said said no , as it was at the garage getting mot, i said could I go see it there (it was his mates garage), he said it wasn't a good time and to see it tonight , it didn't all ring true, I know where it lives, so took a sneaky drive around and it was sat out side his house... Alarm bells
It was filthy, but then the weather is shitty, he could of just said sure , but its filthy.. now I am a bit put off.

Listerine & Poledo
So, car was dirty, obviously a Cat C?
Don't be silly now fella, he probably didn't want you to see it before he's given it a proper wash. As you said, cars are going to get dirty if they're driven at the moment.
How's yours look after 20 miles of rain? :)

clio 182
i asked to go see it at the garage as i didn't want to miss out on it... i get your point, but i was out side his house when i was having the convo about seeing it.

Listerine & Poledo
riiiiiiiiiiiight.
That is just a little on the stalker side you know ;)

Anyhow, I'd give benefit of the doubt, but thats because an LY R27 is everything I'd want in a clio, but if he gave me the runaround twice, screw it