ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 MPG

Clio 197
Been driving like an absolute grandad in my 197 since i last filled the tank up and reset the mpg but cant get above 22.5mpg thats driving to work and back mainly on 30/40mph roads. Is everyone elses this bad?

It was on 20mpg before so driving like a grandad has only increased it by 2.5. Only thing I can think might be causing it is the fuel I put in which is Tesco momentum.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Clio 197 are terrible on fuel to begin with.
It doesn't get any better.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
They average prob about 22/25mpg around town
The highest I've ever got mine driving at 60 on the motorway keeping it in 6th at 3k rpm is 28mpg.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Yeah it's just the way they are.
My mates Ferrari was only slightly worse on fuel and that has 3 times the power of a Clio.

Swift Sport
Add to that the fact that 182's are pretty good on fuel, just adds insult to injury.

Mine was the same, on track it dropped to 10mpg.

The hesitation & kangarooing, is what annoys me mostly, mainly in the cold running.......the engine management is crap compared to the 172/182 cars, its a shame they are a stunning looking car.

Swift Sport
The hesitation & kangarooing, is what annoys me mostly, mainly in the cold running.......the engine management is crap compared to the 172/182 cars, its a shame they are a stunning looking car.

I had mine mapped and it was much better, it ironed out the flat spot in acceleration too.

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
Over the 9000 miles I owned my 197 I averaged 29 mpg so 22 is quite poor. Mine was mainly a and b roads.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
No bud its an 07. And no I always leave it in second in 30/40 zones ;)

06, 07 and some 57 plate 197s have the shorter ratio gearboxes so that may add to the poor mpg. And driving like a tit obviously doesn't help. There are other gears you know.

I know you're joking, I meant do you change gears often or mainly leave it in 6th? Because I go from 2nd to 6th and just leave it, I get between 28 and 32 mpg. Mine has the longer gearing though

to anyone in the know, was it all the gears or just 6th that was made longer?

Volvo S60 T5
My ones terrible , been remapped very badly (who ever done it needs shooting) and gets 19mpg at the most.
Now broken as yesterday I got the code to reprogram the injection computer with a standard 197 map and the ignition switched off while it was reprogramming itself.
so now if the emergency programming procedure fails I'm stuck with a £500 bill for a new ecu , never mind )8

RB 182 cup
Thats terrible, i really considered buying a 197, but as i commute 60 miles a day decided to go for a really clean low milage fabia VRS, remapped to 180 it averaged 55mpg on my drive. Ive always pondered if i should have gone for a 197, but seeing this thread has reassured me i made the right decision.

My ph1 used to do about 36mpg, on a drive down the country i got 51mpg as my best, can't understand how Renault managed to make it so bad.

Westfield, 182, 200
My wife has a 197 and drives 4.5 miles to work plus quite a few other short jorneys, she gets 27-29 mpg. On a run to devon/cornwall i got 39 on the motoway and averaged 34 over 1000 miles, my 200 is sat at about 28.5 average, short runs with the odd 20 mile blast.
Must be the way i drive?

Took my 182 on the track and got about 19 mpg!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thats terrible, i really considered buying a 197, but as i commute 60 miles a day decided to go for a really clean low milage fabia VRS, remapped to 180 it averaged 55mpg on my drive. Ive always pondered if i should have gone for a 197, but seeing this thread has reassured me i made the right decision.

My ph1 used to do about 36mpg, on a drive down the country i got 51mpg as my best, can't understand how Renault managed to make it so bad.

I used to do 90 miles a day in my 197, used to cost me £70 a week just to get to and from work :(

Clio 197
06, 07 and some 57 plate 197s have the shorter ratio gearboxes so that may add to the poor mpg. And driving like a tit obviously doesn't help. There are other gears you know.

I know you're joking, I meant do you change gears often or mainly leave it in 6th? Because I go from 2nd to 6th and just leave it, I get between 28 and 32 mpg. Mine has the longer gearing though

to anyone in the know, was it all the gears or just 6th that was made longer?

I normally go through the gears up to 4th (not thrashing it) then go straight into 6th from 4th and just cruise along feathering the throttle. Mines been remapped and soon after it was remapped i managed to get 27mpg for a while but recently when trying to achieve high mpg it wont get above 22.5!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I normally go through the gears up to 4th (not thrashing it) then go straight into 6th from 4th and just cruise along feathering the throttle. Mines been remapped and soon after it was remapped i managed to get 27mpg for a while but recently when trying to achieve high mpg it wont get above 22.5!

hmm, where was it mapped? Did you have it rolling roaded too?

Im im not very clued up on maps but I wonder if it could be a dodgy map giving it too much fuel. Someone smarter will be able to confirm/deny though

ST
My old R27 gave no better then 22mpg either, worse than my Focus ST 2.5 at times too. My current 200 avg's 28-33 mixed, on the motorway up to 38.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I get at best 28-29mpg out of my 200.

But if you do the figures the reading doesn't work out to what I get to a tank of juice.

Not accurate IMO.

ST
Currently after resetting it this morning, over 58 miles mixed driving today:

View attachment 107687

I'd knock off, maybe 1mpg for inaccuracies ? I brimmed it yesterday and the range is showing 411 and that's just off a full tank.

The way I see it, drive, use fuel, brim tank, repeat, my mileage fluctuates weekly as most people's does.

IMO if you're worried about mpg don't buy a 197/200 or many of the current hot hatches tbh.

Clio 197
I get at best 28-29mpg out of my 200.

But if you do the figures the reading doesn't work out to what I get to a tank of juice.

Not accurate IMO.

Yeh this is true. Since I've been driving like a grandad Ive noticed I haven't actually used as much fuel but the mpg reading hasn't improved much. I've done 75 miles since I last filled up the tank and not used a quarter of a tank yet where as normally a quarter would have been used by now. So it must be getting more mpg than it reads! Maybe it uses more fuel when it's cold and drives like s**t and that brings the average mpg down?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Yeh this is true. Since I've been driving like a grandad Ive noticed I haven't actually used as much fuel but the mpg reading hasn't improved much. I've done 75 miles since I last filled up the tank and not used a quarter of a tank yet where as normally a quarter would have been used by now. So it must be getting more mpg than it reads! Maybe it uses more fuel when it's cold and drives like s**t and that brings the average mpg down?

Naturally will use more fuel upon start up when cold. But cold air is more efficient, so depending on the journeys you do, it would/should make little difference IMO.

Clio 197 are terrible on fuel to begin with.
It doesn't get any better.

It really doesn't get better lol, I can't get any better than 28mpg to & from work & get around 34 on the motorway but we don't use it for long journeys now & use the 182 if we are going anywhere far. The kangarooing was a joke but since I've mapped it with the rs tuner & it's a million times & the flat spot has gone.

Clio 197
It really doesn't get better lol, I can't get any better than 28mpg to & from work & get around 34 on the motorway but we don't use it for long journeys now & use the 182 if we are going anywhere far. The kangarooing was a joke but since I've mapped it with the rs tuner & it's a million times & the flat spot has gone.

yeh the kangarooing is highly annoying make u look like u can't drive lol

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My wife has a 197 and drives 4.5 miles to work plus quite a few other short jorneys, she gets 27-29 mpg. On a run to devon/cornwall i got 39 on the motoway and averaged 34 over 1000 miles, my 200 is sat at about 28.5 average, short runs with the odd 20 mile blast.
Must be the way i drive?

Took my 182 on the track and got about 19 mpg!
Snap :approve: my wife also has a 197 hers says 26-27 mpg i have a nimbus 200 which is at 28 mpg and i drive slowly most of the time :D and my name is also ian.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Do you have a black cat as well :S
no :rasp:
staffi_zps1a4bfd25.jpg

197ff, 172
I normally get 30-32 mpg in my 197 although this tanks only 28mpg. My 172 feels faster and is better on fuel but the 197 is a much nicer place to sit.

Always add 3 to the MPG readings as they are so out its unbelievable.

As for cold starting and driving if you do then you are just plain silly.

There is a nice solution to get rid of the kangaroo'ing also.

ST
Always add 3 to the MPG readings as they are so out its unbelievable.

As for cold starting and driving if you do then you are just plain silly.

There is a nice solution to get rid of the kangaroo'ing also.

Cold start driving - life happens and people don't always have time to sit for a few mins before driving.

Come on now, these are 2.0 NA Clio's not old classics that need tender care and attention ffs !

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Cold start driving - life happens and people don't always have time to sit for a few mins before driving.

Come on now, these are 2.0 NA Clio's not old classics that need tender care and attention ffs !

Depends how much you like your car tbh.

regards to people not having time, you could always go to your car in the morning 1 minute earlier? I get these excuses from people that are late all the time.

Leave earlier lol, we aren't talking about ages, it's 1 minute ffs

ST
I personally, get into the car, start it, sit for about two mins connecting my phone etc, but SOMETIMES it's not always convenient, for example a few months ago one of our cats had been hit by a car, we'd to take her to an emergency vet, the car had been sitting from about 2 in the afternoon til around 10pm so it was a case of into the car and drive.

#firstworldproblems