ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 or a Corsa VXR

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
Now that I've sold the S2000 I was thinking about getting a smaller, but still fun car and have narrowed my search down to either the Clio (R27, or Cup) or the Corsa VXR.

I don't want to buy a brand new car unless prices are heavily discounted, so was thinking at spending around 13K on a car.

It'll be a daily driver for me and the wife (plus the dog every now and then), but I'm not sure which version of the clio is "better". I'm not so bothered about it being stripped out, the key thing is to minimise the depreciation. I also fancy doing the odd track day here and there (especially after last years VXR day, and the next VXR one I've just booked onto). I really enjoyed the Corsa VXR on track, but how does the Clio compare?

Any advise on which car will give me the most fun, but least depreciation?

Last edited:
  RB 200 Cup!
think people are gonna go with clios on here tbh

id perosnally test drive both and see how you feel with each one

Test drive both and see how you feel about them.

As for depreciation, who can tell which car will depreciate faster!

LY V6 with Recaros
As said, best to test drive them both.

I personally would go for a 197 as I'm not too keen on the Corsa.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Personally I wouldn't let the dog drive even if it is "Now and then"

They have no opposable thumbs

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
Are you looking to modify or just have as std?

Clio Cup in White would be my choice.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Got a link to the next vxr track day? Not sure on the corsa, it's the image i'd have a problem with.

VX220 Turbo
dont like the looks of the corsa it looks too narrow, i'd say 197, how about something like a meggy 225 if you're transporting a dog about (depends on the size of the dog I guess

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
we test drove a vxr and it was poo compared to the clio in just about every aspect. go for the clio mate

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I couldn't live with the looks of the VXR, looks too chavvy for me. All the chrome, massive wheels, stupid tailpipes etc.

Black Gold with cup packs
I speced everything except curtain airbags, top car go for it fella the 197 cup is the way forward.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Its a tough one. They are closely matched.

I guess it comes down to what type of styling you like. I think the Corsa appeals to younger people.

I do like the idea of re-mapping the Corsa thou for big gains.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Ive driven an R27 on a few occasions (we have one at home) and think its great, it feels really solid and suspension is nice and stiff, only thing it lacks is low down torque but I like a high revving engine that you need to work!

Would like to have a go in the corsa, I imagine it would be very good but wont have the handling finesse of the clio (they dont really seem to make any particularly bad cars anymore anyway!) Id also be worried about the depreciation on the corsa

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I think for everyday purposes - the 197 would be the better option. The whizz-BANG approach of that small 1.6 tubby of the VXR might not be for you.

If the decision was mine - I'd go for the Corsa. Simply because I think it looks better and you've always got that Hooligan Pedal under your right foot.

D.

A black Corsa ( understated as much as it can be ) but only if your gonna get a rremap in time, as thats a big + on a turbo car that you should use!

leon

Clio 200
i had ordered a corsa vxr but due to personal circumstances a had to cancel the order . it was ok to drive although it just didnt give the feeling that its a fastish car. Quite spacious inside and the seats are comfy although the suspension on the 18's could get quite tiring since its rock solid. never drove the 197 but if its anything like the 172 ave got just now its just a lot better to drive , more fun for me anyway

jbh

clio oasis,e30 325i sport
buy the misses a Clio and get a bemmer for your self for some rwd fun !!! :D

nah seriously i was looking at corsas for the other half for her first car and just dont like them.. got the chance of a Clio off my mate that id just rebuilt the engine on asked her what she thought and she liked it.. Corsas hold the chav factor no matter what model they are every time i see one i see a chav driving it with a burberry baseball cap.

my own car is a an e30 325i sport thats what i use as my daily run around just new cars dont do it for me ( i work on to many and see the problems ) but honest Clio all day over a Corsa

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
Standard 197 Cups can be had brand new from Renault for less than £13k.

I'm not really that *up* on the differences between the Cups and the R27 - could you tell me what the main differences are?

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/clio197/
197 Renault Sport
£15,995

•Front and Rear Sport Bumpers•Body Coloured, Electric Heated Door Mirrors with Temperature Sensor and Driver's Blind Spot Eliminating Mirror•Satin Chrome Exterior and Interior Door Handles•Black B pillar trim•17" Renaultsport Alloy Wheels•Rear Air diffuser with Twin Chrome Exhaust•Black centre console with Soft Touch dashboard and satin chrome detail•Leather Steering Wheel with red centreband and leather gear lever•Aluminium pedals with Driver Footrest•RENAULTSPORT Upholstery•Disconnectable ESP (Electronic Stability Programme) with Understeer Control•Front Lateral and Curtain Airbags•Anti Submarining Airbags (3 door only)•Height Adjustable Three Point Front Seatbelts with integrated Pretensioners and Load Limiters•Three 3 point Rear Seatbelts with Pretensioners on the outer rear seats•New Generation Height Adjustable SRP (System for Restraint & Protection) Front Headrests•Three Height Adjustable Rear Headrests with two pre-set positions•Additional Rear Brake Light•ISOFIX points on Front Passenger Seat (3 door only)•ISOFIX points on Outer Rear Seats•Deactivation of Front Passenger Airbag•Deadlocking and Engine Immobiliser•Remote Central Locking and Renault Anti Intruder Device (R.A.I.D)•Anti Drill Door Locks & Locking Fuel Cap•Audible Warning Signal & Warning Light•One Retractable key & one standard snake key•Variable Assistance Electric Power Steering•Multi Function Trip Computer and Multifunctional Digital Display•Tinted Windows•Double Optic Headlamps, Front Fog Lamps and "See me Home" Headlights•Internally Height Adjustable Headlamps•Adjustable Instrument Backlighting•Interior Courtesy Light with Time Delay•Driver and Passenger Map Reading Lights•Rear Central Light if panoramic sunroof fitted•Rear Central Light with two reading lights (if equipped with keycard)•Bootspace and Glovebox Light•Puddle light fitted to each of the front doors (if equipped with keycard)•Air Recirculation (& particle filter)•Manual Air Conditioning (standard on dCi 106 versions)•Renault Hands Free Keycard with reach adjustable steering column•Height Adjustable Steering Wheel•Electric Front Windows with Anti-Pinch Function and One Touch Control for Driver & Passenger•Driver and Front Passenger Sunvisor with Vanity Mirror•Front Passenger Grab Handle•Height and Lumbar Adjustable Driver's Seat•Reclining Front Seats•60:40 Split Folding Rear Seat•High Volume Glovebox•High Volume Door Storage Pockets in Driver and Passenger Doors•Rear Parcel Shelf•2X15W Radio CD with Fingertip Remote Controls 2 tweeters, 2 speakers

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/clio197cup/
197 Cup Renault Sport
Manufacturer's recommended retail price: £14,995

•Cup Chassis with stiffer springs and dampers + red painted brake callipers
-
-
-
Ride height lowered by 7mm
Stiffer springs - 27% at the front and 30% at the rear
Dampers stiffened by 10%•17" Anthracite Renaultsport Wheels•ESP with disconnection function•Front Fog Lamps•Black Door Handles•Immobiliser with deadlocking•Height Adjustable Driver's Seat•Renaultsport Extended Front Wings with Integrated Side Air Extractors, extended rear wings and sills•Rear Air Diffuser with Twin Exhausts•Manual Door Mirrors with Drivers Blind Spot Eliminating Mirrors•Height Adjustable Leather Steering Wheel•Satin Chrome Dashboard Inserts•Front Electric Windows•Multi-function Trip Computer•Variable Assisted Power Steering•ABS with EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution)•New generation height adjustable front headrests•Two height adjustable 3 point front seatbelts with integrated pretensioners and load limiters•Three 3 point rear seatbelts•Three height adjustable rear headrests•Insurance Approved Engine Immobiliser (Thatcham Category 2)•Insurance Approved Alarm system (Thatcham Category 1)•Remote Central locking with Deadlocking•RAID (Renault Anti Intruder Device)•Puncture repair spray (ilo spare wheel)•Driver and Front Passenger Airbags•Front Lateral Airbags•ISOFIX mounting points on outer rear seats•60:40 split folding rear seat•2X15W Radio CD with fingertip Remote Controls, 2 Tweeters and 2 Speakers

Trophy 007
Two very different cars though really. You either want good-low down grunt from the VXR or a glorious high-revving N/A lump that is a blast to drive.

Never driven the VX presonally, but mates who've tested them both say other than that extra low down torque, the Clio is just as quick and much more fun to drive, much more chuckable and more communicative to the driver.

And don't go off Evo's test this month either, as they tested a standard (engine-wise anyway) 197 Cup against the Fiesta ST 185 and the VXR 888. The Cup came only just behind the 888 in laptimes, but has something like 25bhp less. Imagine a 'fairer' test where the 197 has 225bhp+, seeing as the other cars had between 30-40bhp more than standard form, nothing would come close...

GW Clio 200
Just off to test a Corsa VXR... go to the vxronline website and have a look at some of the owners cars, they do look the nuts IMO..

Looks great in Blue but I think I prefer the black!!

S1030276.jpg

81Medium2.jpg

80Medium2.jpg