ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 (standard) having issues & hi!

C63 AMG Coupe
Hi there... new to ClioSport, found this gem of a site a few weeks back when I was browsing for similar issues to I'm having with my 197. I've not been able to find the specific issue however, so I thought I'd post and say "hi"!

Hopefully, someone here can tell me what the problem is that I'm having or point me in the right direction!

The car: Clio 197 (bought in January 2011), it's a 2008 (08) with 39,000 miles on the clock (I've done the last 30,000). Always serviced it when required and always at Renault. Never had any mechanical issues and I've changed the oil every 7,500 miles (roughly).

The problem: In January this year, I had an issue where as I lifted the clutch pedal and pushed in the accelerator pedal, the revs seemed to shoot up more than normal as though there was no resistance and no pull. Although the revs seem to go up and the car is in gear, there is only minimal power and acceleration is sluggish. I nursed the car to my destination and gradually as I was driving it, the car began to come back to me and was easier to drive. Since then, the issue has re-occurred a number of times, but seems to go away after a bit of nursing. However, I do not want to be nursing my 197 around the roads, otherwise I may as well have bought a Picanto or a Prius.

The advice I've had so far: When my Clio went in for it's most recent service (at Renault West London), I mentioned (but was unable to demonstrate) the problem to the "mechanic", who seemed a bit clueless as to what the issue with the car may be, but suggested that the car may need re-mapping... I'm reluctant to get the car re-mapped if this is not going to solve the problem, so am seeking out a second opinion (hopefully from you enthusiastic and knowledgeable people!!)...

My 197 :)

LYjD6y.gif

C63 AMG Coupe
Bugger, this is what I was thinking it could end up being... Surely you shouldn't expect the clutch to go on a car which in fairness is relatively new?

P.S. thanks for quick responses!

Racing Blue Clio 182
You not the first owner of thje car so you don't no what kind of life its had before you got it. So last owner could of rode the clutch before you got it or your clutch release bearing could be leaking onto the clutch plate causeing it to slip

SG9 Forester STi
Lol it seems that Renault's answer to all 197 problems are to remap it. Well in our experience it has been anyway.

Yep, definitely sounds like the clutch though. Bad times.

Racing Blue Clio 182
Renault do their own softwear updates to the ecu for certain issues like cold running and air con issue etc

C63 AMG Coupe
So to concur, get it in the garage fast and get a new clutch? Approx. cost? (What should I expect?)

Sorry for my naivety in this! :)

C63 AMG Coupe
By the way, I'd thought it was a clutch issue, however, when the guy said about getting it remapped I thought that it may have been a possibility due to the "healing" nature of the problem, when it seems to get better over time - to a point where it feels normal again. I wasn't sure that clutches could heal themselves, that said, I figured it could also be a difference between it being hot/cold, although the car get the problem totally sporadically and I've had the problem both after starting the car on my drive and when on the motorway.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
By the way, I'd thought it was a clutch issue, however, when the guy said about getting it remapped I thought that it may have been a possibility due to the "healing" nature of the problem, when it seems to get better over time - to a point where it feels normal again. I wasn't sure that clutches could heal themselves, that said, I figured it could also be a difference between it being hot/cold, although the car get the problem totally sporadically and I've had the problem both after starting the car on my drive and when on the motorway.

I'd say hands down clutch and as someone mentioned, if the bearing is leaking, it could come and go. I'm guessing it just rev's when you try to put your foot down?

04BGFF182CLIORS
I think Mr Clutch do 1*2's for around £250-300, so I cant see it being too much more for a 197. (I could be wrong though)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
I think Mr Clutch do 1*2's for around £250-300, so I cant see it being too much more for a 197. (I could be wrong though)

DO NOT have it done at Mr Clutch! They use cheap parts that do not last very long, so you will be back forth getting it replaced under warranty.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Yeah, pretty much... Sometimes it will do it when I'm not trying to though.

Definately clutch - that's what happened on my first car ('83 R5 1.1) and it's the last time a clutch has gone on me... I know what's going to happen this weekend!

C63 AMG Coupe
Thanks for all the posts!

I contact Renault West London and the rip-off merchants want £50 to look at it, £28 for insurance on a courtesy car and I've not even got the quote for a new clutch. Any reputable places in/around London that I can get this done? To tell you the truth, I'm probably looking at selling it in the next few weeks anyway!

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Thanks for all the posts!

I contact Renault West London and the rip-off merchants want £50 to look at it, £28 for insurance on a courtesy car and I've not even got the quote for a new clutch. Any reputable places in/around London that I can get this done? To tell you the truth, I'm probably looking at selling it in the next few weeks anyway!

I know a good place in kent but that's probably no use to you...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

you won't even almost cover the parts for that. £650-700 is more like it once you include the CARM unit (slave cylinder)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
It's not unheard of 197's needing a clutch, seem to remember a few back in the early days needed replacements

megane 285 sport
could it be the slave cylinder, could explain when nursing it, it returns to normal, and the gunnin it starts slipping?

C63 AMG Coupe
could it be the slave cylinder, could explain when nursing it, it returns to normal, and the gunnin it starts slipping?

In simple, yes, it becomes more of a problem at that point. I've just returned from a journey to Cornwall and was able to drive the car the whole way and back with no problems. However, I know that if I took it for a spin around some local B roads for a thrashing, I would have problems.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Slave cylinder is a 'box of job on the 197 anyway isn't it? Worthshile just changing the whole lot surely?