ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 starting then dying!

Clio 197 (2007)
Absolute noob when it comes to this but thought I'd give it a shot before I ring a garage. Cars been fine all week. Last night had a few issues with locking and unlocking with the key but it worked and was able to drive it last night and this morning, but later today I was at a red light and the abs warning light came on, then the passenger airbag light came on THEN I got an error message saying brake error and a slight loss of power. Now when I try and start the car it sometimes starts and sometimes doesn't dependant on how long I leave it (battery?) but no matter what it always dies after a minute or 2. Any ideas ? Can smell a sort of burning near top left side of bonnet, step dad says starter motor not disengaging possibly ? I have no clue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Long read I know. Sorry.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
The dash lights come on as the battery starts to loose it's power so bits of the car start shutting down as it were.
I'd be looking at the battery and alternator and possibly a bad earth as thats what caused mine to do similar.

Clio 197 (2007)
The dash lights come on as the battery starts to loose it's power so bits of the car start shutting down as it were.
I'd be looking at the battery and alternator and possibly a bad earth as thats what caused mine to do similar.

Cheers for the reply mate. Mate who is a mechanic has came out and had a look. Battery is fine. Starter motor won't disengage which is leading to the engine shutting down. Totally burnt out by the smell/sound of it. Getting towed and fixed tomorrow hopefully!