ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 vs Astra VXR

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
"get her to race u when its not been running for 10 mins and you could trash it in a 1.2l"

They seem to be pretty wrapped up the way they talk about them, anyone would think theyve got about 100bhp on the clio, its like 40bhp in a car that weighs a shite load more, it will outrun in the straight yes but its really not going to embarress a clio issit.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Very much down to the driver i would think although as stated the astra has more power i dont think the handling set up is quite the same.. I might be wrong but who really gives a hippos testacle?

when i'm travelling to work, every morning there is a guy in an astra vxr usually in front of me. when we came to a set of lights side-by-side, we both tentatively set off on green, then he dropped the loud pedal and I followed. in the short distance from the lights, there was nothing in it. i did notice that the vxr 1st gear must be pretty short because he was into second gear while i was still accelerating hard in first.

if I had the choice between the two cars I would much rather have the renault sport...the f1 197 just looks so much better IMO and has a bit more of the 'wow' / rarity factor

172cup
Ha ha, doubt they could catch a 200. A lot of the vxrs have had diffs fitted now along with a reconfiguration of the suspension set-up and that supposedly makes a massive difference. The crazy thing with an astra is you can remap it to over 300brake. Still 200 kg heavier than a 200 and 197. Approx.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
That Kieran23 is an idiot, going on about how great his 1.25 Fiesta is.

"The thing is my 1.25fiesta zetec mk5, no less
icon_lol.gif
can out handle pretty much anything i come up across when im driving, but thats down to the driver."

It catches a few people out when you drop it into 3rd about 60 and take it to redline, she does shift!

"Ive also kept with mates modded saxo vts to 60, and in a torque race the fiesta wins every single time. It does have quite a bit of torque for the engine thats in the car, i just wish it was a bit freer revving though sometimes."

To be fair the zetecs can carry speed round the bends well, they have very good handling tbh. Also as 1.2 go they do go well but not VTS well!