ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197

Astra Sxi
Hey all

My previous car was a Clio ph2 1.2 16v, i was a member of this club but I sold my car because it was so unreliable it was unreal. Basically what i want to know is what’s this 197 like? I said when i got rid of my Clio that i would never have a French car again but they are so nice looking cars. I currently drive a Astra which is a great car, very reliable but just abit slow.

Cheers in advance

Oh and heres a few pics of my current car.

16082009185edited.jpg

16082009187edited.jpg

16082009188edited.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yep!! Loved mine! They have an awesome on road presence.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Whats your budget? Early ones could suffer AC faults (not working) but the dealers seemed to have rid the niggles with recalls. Main one is the wear on the Recaros (if fitted) Very common for the side bolsters to go. They all 'kangaroo' when cold (rough running, bit jumpy etc) Also brakes can feel a bit w**k if not stripped down regulary, the pads can sieze in the carriers. Some cars have had replacement gearboxes becuase of selection problems at high RPM.

Thats about it really.

Last edited:
  albi 197
I drove a corsa vxr before I bought my 197. It was s**t. On boost the power was so smoothly delivered I nearly fell asleep. The car rolled all over the shop as well.

Only faults I've had are my door handles pretty much dropping off and my brake pads being seized to my calipers (scary). Fred rectified the second problem though and have been great since.

Other than mine has been fine. Don't get one if your bothered about fuel economy though, they are pretty atrocious. I get on average 25mpg at best. Worst I've seen is 17mpg. Could possibly get worse when i put my yozza exhaust on.

Tom

I drove a corsa vxr before I bought my 197. It was s**t. On boost the power was so smoothly delivered I nearly fell asleep. The car rolled all over the shop as well.

Only faults I've had are my door handles pretty much dropping off and my brake pads being seized to my calipers (scary). Fred rectified the second problem though and have been great since.

Other than mine has been fine. Don't get one if your bothered about fuel economy though, they are pretty atrocious. I get on average 25mpg at best. Worst I've seen is 17mpg. Could possibly get worse when i put my yozza exhaust on.

Tom

Thats particularly bad! I normally average 28mpg.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I arveraged 28 ish. Get 38 out of the 172 Cup i've just got lol

White clique
Fantastic cars, in comparison to older Clios far more reliable, refined and quality build.

Great road presence too, lots of nice looks are the are rare.

Only downside is the slightly poor MPG, but compared to other hot hatches / sports in general, not a disaster.

Clio 1970000000
Had mine a couple of weeks and love it. It has a couple of small rattles that I am learning to live with...character building aparantly and the build quality is miles better than the previous Clio. The build quality will also be every bit as good or better than your Astra, and a lot more fun.

Yes it kangaroos when cold but a minute later that's gone. Mine is going in for brake pads on Saturday. They don't feel great at the moment but have done 38,000 miles on the first set of pads!!!!

Don't ask about mpg. If you care about it, better by something else.