ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 2 1.6l brake upgrade?

Clio 2 1.4l Turbo
Hi guys!
New to the forum, i'm from Costa Rica and i'm building myself a Clio 1.4 l turbo.

The car is running good so now I need to Buy a better set of brakes

I have a low budget and also there is not a single Clio SPORT for parts here so I need a front set of calipers that are Bolt on's that will work for my car...

I want bigger Surface and also change the brake rotors for bigger ones...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
There was some people on here a few years ago who found out that the brembo front calipers that were used on the Peugeot 406 coupe / mk1 Ford Focus RS and Fiat Coupe bolt straight onto the hub of the non RS clio - They then used a certain combination of disc and i think some spacers that worked. If you do some searching on here you will probably come across the thread. It was someone who was building a K4M 1.6 16v

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Hi guys!
New to the forum, i'm from Costa Rica and i'm building myself a Clio 1.4 l turbo.

The car is running good so now I need to Buy a better set of brakes

I have a low budget and also there is not a single Clio SPORT for parts here so I need a front set of calipers that are Bolt on's that will work for my car...

I want bigger Surface and also change the brake rotors for bigger ones...

There was some people on here a few years ago who found out that the brembo front calipers that were used on the Peugeot 406 coupe / mk1 Ford Focus RS and Fiat Coupe bolt straight onto the hub of the non RS clio - They then used a certain combination of disc and i think some spacers that worked. If you do some searching on here you will probably come across the thread. It was someone who was building a K4M 1.6 16v
I did the same on a K4J clio..
I can confirm the info about calipers gave by Martin.
I used 406coupe brembo calipers.
For the disks, I used clio 172 ones, 280mm diameter.
Calipers bolts straight into the hub, you just need some longer bolts, and machine some waher spacers to center the caliper on the disk.
Some spacers under brake pads are needed too because those calipers are thought to work on thicker disks.
Anyway nothing difficult to achieve.

In my case I took the hard approach and splitted the caliper and machined the inner surface to remove excess material..
With that.. no spacers needed.

Another important thing is to replace master cylinder. I used a 24mm one because oem was too small and gave too much pedal travel and an on/off feeling.

Last but not least, check also wheel clearance, those calipers are really fat.. and want skinny wheels near the hub and with a lot of space inside.

Beside those things.. they are good calipers, after rebuilding they used to brake even a bit stronger then my current dynalite I have on the 172. And painted yellow with black lettering were gorgeous to see