ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO 200 OPTIONS AND DIRECT LINE

STEALTH RAIDER
Hello all, thought id share with you an ongoing problem at the moment with Direct Line which i find so funny yet unbelievable. Called my insurance company on the 17th August and got a price to switch from my st500 to a clio 200. The options added to the policy were black speedlines, extra tints, folding mirrors, carbon trim, cup spoiler and cornering lights. Total to switch was £65 over the remaining 6 months left, so just over an extra £10 a month more. Not a bad price at all. 2 weeks down the line, got the figures together for the new car and accepted the offer for my car and renault went on with the order to get it made. Yesterday, decided to call the insurance to get a quote again till the end of november when my car would be predicted to arrive. I gave the same list of options and was put on hold as the application for the new policy was referred for some funny reason :S Came back telling me that they couldnt insure the clio because of the cup spolier, due to it being classed as a modification :eek: Im 24 and not allowed mods till im 25 with them so i was a little bit miffed. Obviously its a factory fitted item and they was having none of it :argue: Their excuse was that it makes the car more aerodynamic and is an extra part being put on the vehicle, therefore not being factory fitted. I offered all the part numbers for my extras but they still didnt want to know. Then i spoke to 2 team leaders in different areas and gave me the same bull. I got a call later being told it was their mistake that the person had only put the options in the comments box on their system and not through the correct procedure. For their mistake, they will allow me to have the cup spoiler added but the permium will slightly increase, TO £70 PER MONTH MORE!!!! instead of the original £11 per month :nono: I more or less laughed at them and told them to get knotted. So now the information had been passed on to customer relations who are phoning me on monday. The trouble is recently with being in the M postcode, my quotes have always been stupid (over 3 grand) and im currently paying £1300 with direct line with 2yrs no claims which i think is quite sensible. Now they want to bump my policy up by nearly double because of a cup spoiler which in my eyes is total rubbish. I cant really go anywhere else as ive tried all the insurance companies on the market. Obvoiusly im not going to have my panties pulled down because i never have and what ive experienced over the past 2 days is worth telling you guys, Ill keep you posted with more bull or an outcome if its solved!!!!! Lew :(

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why are you telling them all the extra options?

Just give them the cars reg and job done.

Da

Less

This.

If it's how it left the factory, then it isn't modified.

The car's 'spec list' will be held on file under it's registration number, with RUK.

as above shouldnt have said anything, probably abit late now though

worst case scenario can you ask renault not to fit the spoiler?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I can't find the wording on their website, but as far as i'm aware along with 99% of the population it's only aftermarket mods that need to be listed.

Does everyone tell there insurance about the option heated seats, folding wing mirrors, autowipers etc?

i for first time ever declared when asked what options i had added and guy at Egg Insurance asked if factory fitted, yes, nothing extra...
£480 per year
7 years protected ncd
3 points
£350 excess

Just change Insurance company mate and dont state options....and from working in insurance i can assure you if worst things happened and your car was in an accident the motor engineer wouldnt have a clue what was non standard

STEALTH RAIDER

The reason i done this was to be on the safe side rather than not telling them. I couldnt tell them the reg as it is being made. It would have given them an excuse not to pay out if i had a crash so im glad i told them. Better to be safe than sorry imo

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
8 Modifications to your car
You must tell us what modifications you intend to make and
obtain our agreement prior to making them. Modifications are
changes to your car’s standard specification, including optional
extras. These include, but are not restricted to, changes to the
appearance and/or the performance of your car (including wheels,
suspension, bodywork and engine).
If you do not tell us about any relevant modifications, we may:
• reject or reduce your claim;
• treat the policy as void (i.e. as though it has never existed).
Thats their wording.

I'm sure all the people using kwik fit exhuasts, brake pads, discs tell their insurance.

Don't forget to tell them when you change from Contis to Toyo tires to.

The reason i done this was to be on the safe side rather than not telling them. I couldnt tell them the reg as it is being made. It would have given them an excuse not to pay out if i had a crash so im glad i told them. Better to be safe than sorry imo

Try Egg Insurance Lewis, you dont need one of their cards, if you do however and put the cost of premium on the card they give you 12 months every renewal to pay it off without any interest.

What sort of quotes you been getting other than Direct Line?

STEALTH RAIDER
i for first time ever declared when asked what options i had added and guy at Egg Insurance asked if factory fitted, yes, nothing extra...
£480 per year
7 years protected ncd
3 points
£350 excess

Just change Insurance company mate and dont state options....and from working in insurance i can assure you if worst things happened and your car was in an accident the motor engineer wouldnt have a clue what was non standard

Why did you state yours then?

STEALTH RAIDER
Try Egg Insurance Lewis, you dont need one of their cards, if you do however and put the cost of premium on the card they give you 12 months every renewal to pay it off without any interest.

What sort of quotes you been getting other than Direct Line?

Over 3 grand mate. There has been so many robberies in my area over the past 12 months that they have all obvoiusly latched on and started pulling a lot of peoples trolleys down :(. And my list shows that Egg wanted £3,700

Why did you state yours then?

I actually dont know, moment of weakness I think! But honestly no problems with it.

I would just get on phone and deny any modifications and see what Egg will do for you.

If worst comes to worse try adding your mum or dad to policy as that can reduce premium

STEALTH RAIDER
Thats their wording.

I'm sure all the people using kwik fit exhuasts, brake pads, discs tell their insurance.

Don't forget to tell them when you change from Contis to Toyo tires to.

Well they told me it isnt standard spec if its had optional extras but it isnt classed as modifying, but they tell me that the cup spoiler is :S

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Up to you, but if it was me and i'm sure most people they'd just give them the numberplate and be done at that.

STEALTH RAIDER
I actually dont know, moment of weakness I think! But honestly no problems with it.

I would just get on phone and deny any modifications and see what Egg will do for you.

If worst comes to worse try adding your mum or dad to policy as that can reduce premium

Ive always given honest info and want to do the right things with what im doing. Ive known that many people who have been shafted by little things like this. As for adding my dad, ive always just done it on my own tbh

Lewis,

Another option could be putting a sizeable excess on policy.

I cant find link but there was a way you can then insure the actual excess ie take a £1,000 excess to reduce premium cost and then pay like £69 for a separate policy to insure the excess.

Just hit the phone with no modifications and you will be okay.

STEALTH RAIDER
Up to you, but if it was me and i'm sure most people they'd just give them the numberplate and be done at that.

Because i didnt have a reg to give them, and still havent, i wanted to know exactly how much it was going to be. When they first told me it was an extra £10 per month, i knew i was on the safe side before ordering the car

Ive always given honest info and want to do the right things with what im doing. Ive known that many people who have been shafted by little things like this. As for adding my dad, ive always just done it on my own tbh

Lewis,

from working in insurance i would say the following..

okay first up threat of cancelling policy from inception...worst case scenario this to be honest, right say you crashed into someone, the tp's claim would be dealt with by your insurers as it is a compulsary class of insurance. you would be left to deal with your own damage.

more realistically it would be following, okay Lewis you ran into the back of someone, okay what caused it, failure to pay attention.....tell me which part of that a spoiler would have caused that accident? honestly there is so much shite about insurance of forums, just crack on and say car is standard, if in due course an insurer raised an issue then they would ask for an additional premium.

STEALTH RAIDER
Lewis,

from working in insurance i would say the following..

okay first up threat of cancelling policy from inception...worst case scenario this to be honest, right say you crashed into someone, the tp's claim would be dealt with by your insurers as it is a compulsary class of insurance. you would be left to deal with your own damage.

more realistically it would be following, okay Lewis you ran into the back of someone, okay what caused it, failure to pay attention.....tell me which part of that a spoiler would have caused that accident? honestly there is so much s**te about insurance of forums, just crack on and say car is standard, if in due course an insurer raised an issue then they would ask for an additional premium.

But surely without insuring extras, wouldnt my policy be void if i had a bump?

But surely without insuring extras, wouldnt my policy be void if i had a bump?

no, motor insurance if a compulsary class of insurance, even if insurer tried to ditch your own damage claim they would be left with claim for the third party

can you afford to pay the amounts they are asking?

STEALTH RAIDER
no, motor insurance if a compulsary class of insurance, even if insurer tried to ditch your own damage claim they would be left with claim for the third party

If it was a major accident then i would think not. From disclosing all the correct info in the first place wouldnt put me in this possition?

172 ph-quick
have you tried adrian flux? i know theyre a brokers but they have always found me the cheapest insurance quotes and usually by quite a big margin. currently with aviva through them and its £360 a year with 5 yrs no-claims, although i am 28 now.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Do like the majority of people & just don’t declare any of the factory fit options that modify the car from the std base spec.

In fact, you could just not bother with insurance at all-you'd save an absolute wedge of cash!

/end sarcasm

M2 Competition

As Aly has said, the most they can do is reduce your policy to 3rd party if they're unhappy. They cant 'void' the policy as far as im aware.

I wouldnt ever decalre factory fit options. When i buy a car second hand, as with the majority of people, i have no idea what its left the factory with and what it hasnt!

STEALTH RAIDER
Do like the majority of people & just don’t declare any of the factory fit options that modify the car from the std base spec.

In fact, you could just not bother with insurance at all-you'd save an absolute wedge of cash!

/end sarcasm

lol, but with whats going on, id be paying a wedge and still not having insurance :cool:

/end sarcasm

Its true though...the majority of people dont because the majority of people dont know whats standard and whats an extra

Now youve mentioned it to direct line i wouldnt really go back on it as the will probably have it on record, if it were me i would try elsewhere when you have the reg plate and not mention the optional extra's

STEALTH RAIDER
As Aly has said, the most they can do is reduce your policy to 3rd party if they're unhappy. They cant 'void' the policy as far as im aware.

I wouldnt ever decalre factory fit options. When i buy a car second hand, as with the majority of people, i have no idea what its left the factory with and what it hasnt!

If its second hand then there can be excuses mate. I dont think they will fall for that being a new car.

STEALTH RAIDER
have you tried adrian flux? i know theyre a brokers but they have always found me the cheapest insurance quotes and usually by quite a big margin. currently with aviva through them and its £360 a year with 5 yrs no-claims, although i am 28 now.

You list em, ive tried em. The M postcode is just on its ass at the moment from all the unemployed scrotts that are out looking for their fix.

STEALTH RAIDER
Greenlight i have, the other 2 i havent. All the outsiders are usually the worst

Last edited:
If it was a major accident then i would think not. From disclosing all the correct info in the first place wouldnt put me in this possition?

lewis, like i said I work in Insurance, I deal with Insurance claims and have in past dealt with some motor damage claims when dealing with the personal injury claims.

Just because an accident was major doesnt mean an Insurer can walk away, third party cover is minimum allowed under law, no Insurance company could walk away from a third party claim if there was an issue with your cover as it would be leaving the third party in a situation where there was no cover which then defeats the reason motor insurance is complusary.

Like i said there is a lot of shite about insurance on forums and since i work in industry i really should be well placed to tell you they cant walk away from a claim just because you had a spoiler undeclared.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Like i said there is a lot of s**te about insurance on forums and since i work in industry i really should be well placed to tell you they cant walk away from a claim just because you had a spoiler undeclared.

Awesome news. So next time i come to renew I imagine this means that i don't have to declare that my 172 is actually a 172 and can just insure it as a 1.2?

Mint, I could save a packet-thanks for the tip!:D

Awesome news. So next time i come to renew I imagine this means that i don't have to declare that my 172 is actually a 172 and can just insure it as a 1.2?

Mint, I could save a packet-thanks for the tip!:D

whatever mate, pretty obvious fuckin difference

STEALTH RAIDER
I understand what your saying Aly but when you already pay so much for comp insurance every month, why have to pay out again if your policy gets knocked down to third party? Just because of a spoiler? If it was like that, i presume i could put any other mod on there without declaring and guaranteeing if i bump somebody, i still have insurance where id have to pay out my own pocket?

Hero Spec Nimbus 200
I have not known anyone to ever declare options. If it left the factory in that state then its standard.
How many people on here with 182's declare their cup packs? ermmm none.
Because there is no point. Just find the registration of a 200 off autotrader or something, and get an online quote with directline. Then when you get your reg give it to direct line and be done with it!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I have not known anyone to ever declare options. If it left the factory in that state then its standard.
How many people on here with 182's declare their cup packs? ermmm none.
Because there is no point. Just find the registration of a 200 off autotrader or something, and get an online quote with directline. Then when you get your reg give it to direct line and be done with it!

Flol. My 1.2 *cough* 172 could theoretically cost pennies come next renewal now i've been put straight on the ways of the industry. :cool:

I never realised being intentionally evasive with the facts when applying for insurance didn't effectively constitute fraud. How foolish of me! :clown:

On a serious note for something as trivial as being open & honest with an insurer, just find one who doesn't give a f**k once all mods from base spec (factory or otherwise) have been declared.

320d
Directline are s**t. Fact. They're Nazi's with mods. Now you've opened your mouth you'll either have to take it off or cough up the cash.

Try Flux?

STEALTH RAIDER
Directline are s**t. Fact. They're Nazi's with mods. Now you've opened your mouth you'll either have to take it off or cough up the cash.

Try Flux?

People open their mouths for a reason. They might be nazi's but they are currently 1700 quid cheaper than anyone else. The joke about all this is that a factory option suddenly turns into modification. They are obviously trying to slap my helmet but i shall wait for the outcome :D and flux hate the M postcode!!!!!