ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 2001 1.2 16v - Mysterious Problem! HELP

2001 clio 16v 1.2
Hi guys,

my clio is randomly losing power and throttle control then suddenly kicking back in after a minute.. During this time it "judders" and struggles to pick up speed.

Ive checked my "tamper-proof" ECU box and that has been removed. One wire is a tiny bit chaffed but taped up. Ive recently had the inlet manifold cleaned out to try and resolve this "judder" but the problem persists.

Whilst it judders ive noticed it kicks out alot of smoke via the exhaust, this problem is not only embarrassing but dangerous. Luckily the car is under warranty but the mechanics fixing it cant find the problem.

What dya reacon guys? I really need some "clued" up help. If anyone is local that would be willing to have a look id much appreciate it (saffron walden). Im attaching a picture of the warning lights that have just appeared upon receiving it back from the garage (engine management and the warning with coils??). :mad::mad::mad:

img20101017170633.jpg

Jap Box
Not to sure on your problem, but the light thats on that looks like a box with squiggly lines gong through it is the injection system light.

I have that on myself and no idea what the problem is :( replaced the coil pack, had spark plugs looked at and no luck.

Had your lambda sensor checked out?

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
OP, yours sounds like it could be sketchy wiring, had this problem on a polo on friday, knowing the ecu has been played with kinda reinforces this theory.

2001 clio 16v 1.2
Ive not had the lamba sensor checked out but i shall mention that, also i thought the wiring looked very strange, there is one wire just hanging out! Getting really sick of it, so dangerous to drive not to mention embarrassing.

How much roughly is a new wiring loom?

Ibiza FR
Hi mate, I had this problem for the past year and replaced so many parts trying to sort it - throttle pedal, coil pack, spark plugs, anti- tamper box. I finally took it to my uncles garage and had him clean the throttle body out. It has cleared the problem and now runs so smoothly. I'd highly recommend getting this done.

Alot of people will say to get it diagnosed but it didnt help much for mine as the fault it was picking up (caused by the electrical fault) didnt help anything!!

Hope this helps

Skoda Fabia vRS
the 1.2 16v is a box of worms, we keep on the shelf, coil packs, map sensors, crank sensors, full engine wiring loom, pedal assembly, throttle body etc etc

if the loom is chafed id be tempted put a loom on it, have you had a code reader on it ?

Mutliple....
Can failing Lamba sensor fail and make intermittent starting?

Also, do lamba failures always show an engine management light?

Many thanks,

Matt