ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200T remap

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've read that the gearbox is the weak link, hence why is got such a (relatively) low torque figure for a turbo. Given the cost of a dct box, not sure I would want to be the one testing the theory.

340i
RS Tuning in Leeds mapped one a few weeks ago, the owner drove up from London:

10708787_806721682703627_6413299932154458494_o.jpg

Impressive gains on a totally standard engine.

Bloody hell an extra 40bhp from a remap! I would want an uprated intercooler first though. Can only imagine the gains on a full turbo back exhaust, induction and intercooler!!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've read that the gearbox is the weak link, hence why is got such a (relatively) low torque figure for a turbo. Given the cost of a dct box, not sure I would want to be the one testing the theory.
Not disregarding this, but what was the source of that? I read the gearbox was made getrag by which I would usually associate with decent quality.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I would imagine the gearbox is up to the job, being a Getrag unit.
Was in an early review. Apparently rated to max 206lbft, hence why it's detuned from other applications, doesn't the juke have more torque? Has to be a reason they held it back?
As said though, just what I've read, can't vouch for the accuracy.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It's that low?! I always thought the 250 moniker of the 'box meant it could handle 250 lbsft.

Sod running a gearbox rated at 206 on an engine putting out over 250!

What is it with manufacturers sticking sub-standard gearboxes in hot-hatches? Clio 200t, clio 200, VXR nurburgring etc

Sub standard or perfectly selected for the application?

No more durable, complicated or expensive than it needed to be for the amount of performance that Renault's marketing team desired (which is of course very carefully chosen to sit between a Twingo RS or Megane RS whilst matching/exceeding competitors etc...)

It would seem that car manufacturers underestimate how unsympathetic owners can be towards clutches or servicing etc and hence warranty claims happen.

clio 182 trophy
Are you at all worried about the box going bang and having to fork out a couple of grand for a new one? Also throwing your warranty out the window for other possible things going wrong too? Seems a massive risk for the sake of 40bhp. Yes it will likely transform the car but that would soon be forgotten if you faced a 5k+ bill.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
PSA's BE gearbox range is only rated at 250NM and there's people with heavily modified turbo diesel's and turbo'd GTI's running them without issue. It's more about how you treat your gearbox. I would avoid the launch control in the Clio if you start turning the boost up and fitting track day tyres to it. Something has to give.

Peugeot 308
Are you at all worried about the box going bang and having to fork out a couple of grand for a new one? Also throwing your warranty out the window for other possible things going wrong too? Seems a massive risk for the sake of 40bhp. Yes it will likely transform the car but that would soon be forgotten if you faced a 5k+ bill.

I want to re-map my Fiesta, I doubt it will be via Mountune tbh.
In terms of a gearbox failure, I would imagine most dealers would look at what has failed, rather than why...and fix the issue.

If they find out its been mapped, yeah game over... But unless its blatantly obvious with stickers like 'Revo' plastered on the car, I'd say they wouldn't look to far into it (Speaking from a Main-dealer here)

Listerine & Poledo
Also, they're built to a price.
So no sense in making the car more expensive to build, that's just going to trim profits.
And since Renault has yet to become a registered charity for chavs, I think they're focusing on making money on all their cars.

In terms of a gearbox failure, I would imagine most dealers would look at what has failed, rather than why...and fix the issue.

If they find out its been mapped, yeah game over... But unless its blatantly obvious with stickers like 'Revo' plastered on the car, I'd say they wouldn't look to far into it (Speaking from a Main-dealer here)

When am I booking you in? :p

Beaten up 182

I would of thought the manufacturer will want to know why, firstly because if it becomes common they can work on a fix and if there's a reason the warrenty is void before they give away thousands of pounds worth of parts. It wouldn't take a dealer ten minutes to find out if it's been mapped.
I wonder if RS Tuning let their customers know their map will produce a lot more torque than the gearbox is rated to?

Peugeot 308
I would of thought the manufacturer will want to know why, firstly because if it becomes common they can work on a fix and if there's a reason the warrenty is void before they give away thousands of pounds worth of parts. It wouldn't take a dealer ten minutes to find out if it's been mapped.
I wonder if RS Tuning let their customers know their map will produce a lot more torque than the gearbox is rated to?

I know what you mean, although they may find what's failed and deem that as the causable part, not what has led to that component failing etc.. I would imagine it would vary from dealer to dealer in terms of how much digging and/or if a technician feels he can actually be bothered (I know lol).

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Arg! Wish I knew about that extended warranty before I bought my ST