ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio acceleration going funny! HELP PLEASE!

1.2, 172 Cup soon
My clio for the past few days has been going weird, when i accelerate it like sort of bounces/judders then takes off.. it does it in all gears but you cant feel it as much at higher speeds.. But very noticable when in high gears and low mph.. If i sit idle it like vibrates now and then too, feels like its trying to pull but dont do anything! Its so hard to explain but yeah.. I have heard a few things it could my oxygen sensor, needs a service or it could be dirt in the cat which i can just fix with some injector cleaner! any help would be much appreciated as its proper putting me off driving my car at the moment, thanks

note: it does it sometimes, but then another time my car can be running smooth for like 20 mins then itll do it again.:S

1.2, 172 Cup soon
found out what it was, luckily one of my friends dad is an AA man and put it on his diagnostic machine, come up with misfire so we are trying new sparks tomorrow if that dont work new coil pack he said its defo one of them two! so all good :clap:

Clio 172 Phase 2
Hey, I have this exact issue with mine. Just had brand new NGK sparks so the next thing is a new coilpack. Only around £40 :)

Ideally that engine should use 'champion' spark plugs, think theres a tech note from renault that NGK's can cause running faults with the 1.2. The genuine Renault one's are champion ones, not much difference in price either (Y).

2007 Clio 1.2 Tce
Hi Josh

Did you get the issue sorted?

I've had an ongoing missfire issue with my 2007 1.2 tce. About 6 months ago the engine management light came on and it begun misfiring under moderate - heavy acceleration. I replace spark plugs (with NGKs) and that didn't solve it. I drove around for a few weeks like that (as long as I accelerated gently I could avoid the misfire) but it gradually got much much worse. Then I tried a coilpack, that didn't work so I took it off and put the old one back on. I then put ignition leads on it which seemed to solve the issue.

After a month or so, the misfire came back but not as bad as it was previously. It doesn't throw any lights on and it only misfires between 2-3000 rpm under moderate - heavy acceleration. It's been like this a few months now and it's really starting to iritate.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced the same issue and solved it? Should I try Champion spark plugs as suggested by Gaz? Also, the ignition leads weren't genuine Renault either, could this be the issue?

182 Cup, Camaro Z28
guys, check the injectors too, these will cause similar miss-fire issues, had experience with this and did the plugs and leads and pack and the problem was still there. Diag targeted the miss fire cylinder and I replaced this injector and all was good :D

1.2, 172 Cup soon
Sorry guys for slow reply! Yeah I replaced spark plugs and of sorted it when I was driving but when I was idle it was still lumpy so put electrical tape around the ht leads and it stopped and run completely fine! But my older brother bought me a brand new genuine coil pack anyway haha so yeah runs nice now all sorted :) thanks guys