ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Billabong 1.4 rear lights/earth problems

Fiat GPS Multijet
Hi everyone, first post so be gentle.. :rasp:

My ladyfriend has a Clio Billabong 1.4 which has, as she describes, disco rear lights.
When she indicates it flashes the fog lights, when she turns the lights on and indicates it flashes the reverse lights/high level brakelight/opposite side indicator.. Also when she indicates it makes the interior lights/dash flash and fog light symbol flash on the dashboard.. :(

After searching around the net to find someone with the same problem and see if there was a solution, the most common cause I found was that there was an earthing problem.
So on Saturday, I took the rear clusters out to inspect.

The nearside plug had melted around the negative (black) wire and partially melted the plastic around the pin in the bulb holder, some how voltage must of passed through the cable at some stage..
To her knowledge, the only bulbs that have been changed are ones at the front so I imagine its not the bulbs that are at fault..

I cleaned up the burnt plastic on the bulb holder and tried to sort the plug but to no avail, I also removed both earths behind the carpet in the boot and cleaned them up with sandpaper etc, again to no avail.

I have read somewhere to run a separate earth to the light from the one in the boot and something about drilling the circuit board (they probably mean the holder itself) and attaching an earth to it there. Does this sound feasible?

My other option is to get some new bulb holders and the plug/section of the wiring from a scrappy and completely rewire them. But I'd prefer to try the earthing fix first, to save throwing money at it if it can be fixed..

Don't suppose anyone has an idea as to what I actually need to do and do I sound like I'm on the right track?

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated :)

Dan