ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Buying...

Civic and Pug
New to the site and looking at buying a clio belive it or not, now not sure if i want a 172 or a 182, i have roughly 5k to spend. have looked around and done a bit of research and quite fancy a black 182, but not a lightweight version as i plan on using the car as a daily runner, so would like all the mod cons etc...

i guess what i am asking is if you were me, with your extensive "clio" knowlage that i lack what would you buy? also is the 182 worth the extra cash over a 172?

sorry if there are many threds on here that are similar.

cheers in advance.:D

Titanium 182
182 (not cup) eg. with xenons cup packs etc.

You can pick up the odd bargain around £5k.

Civic and Pug
just been reading up on the 182's and it would seem that the "cup" pack is the thing to have with them, how do you tell apart the 182's from the 182 cups..? also if the cup package really worth the extra money?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
personally for me it would be a late 172 (53 or 04 plate) for your money you would get a complete minter with some change! plus 03 onwords had ESP and 53 onwords had cruise control.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, there are loads of threads discussing what is the best thing to go for, a 172 or 182. They usually end up in arguments as it's only a persons opinion at the end of the day.

I'll give you a few points.

The 172 spec is largely the same as the 182 apart from the following:

182's have ESP, cruise and speed limiters.

However, 2003 on 172's have ESP and 53 on 172's have ESP and the speed/cruise controls.

182 has a 200 cell sports cat, 4-2-1 SS manifold which mainly give rise to the performance differences.

182's also run with 205/40 16's on PE2's which gives a different feel to the ride and makes it feel slightly more planted.

There were two variants to the 172's. 172 and 172 Cup. The Cup was the light weight option with Speedline Turinis which are a slightly wider wheel giving a wider track. Also, no ABS and cloth interior. Also came in mondial blue and some later models in iceberg. The Cups have a slightly larger rear spoiler, which does look alot better. Cups also have pretty much no extras, e.g. xenons, auto lights. The same spec is present on the 182 Cup.

With the 182 there were a few models. 182, 182 Cup, 182 with Cup packs or 182 Trophy.

182 = same as 172, just the styling and performance differences.

182 Cup = same as 172 Cup with styling and performance differences.

182 with Cup packs is the 182 spec e.g. xenons, auto lights etc with the Cup options. Cup options included grey wheels, cup rear spoiler, stiffened shocks and springs. Also a bit lower.

I won't go into the Trophy.

This is largley the differences. Personally I'd go for either a 172 or 182 with Cup packs.

172's are also about 1-2 mpg better than 182's overall combined as well.

B

Bucko

I was in a similar position to you 2 years ago, i knew nothing about the RS Clios so did a bit of research on here.

I ended up buying a 172 purely due to the fact that the price gap didn't justify getting a 182 with cup packs. That was 2 years ago though when i was looking at about £4.5k for a good 172 or £6.5k for a similar 182.

If i was in the same position now i think i would've gone for a 182 purely for material reasons; wanting the later model and a newer car.

I can't comment on any performance differences as i've never driven a 182 but i would suggest that you drive as many cars as you can and get whatever car suits you and your budget.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I have found the 182 to pull better from low down. Those instances when driving at 20/30 it felt like it took a while to wind up the 172 whereas the 182 picks up better from much lower in 2nd/3rd. However, that wouldn't put me off though.

(I've had a Williams, 172 and 182 Trophy now).

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Drive a late 172, and a 182 with cup packs and decide for yourself. Wouldn't go for a 182 without cups, as they're harder to sell on. There's no difference in pace between 172/182. The delivery is slightly different (182 better low down by a fraction, 172 revs more freely top end slightly), but you be a mug to buy a 182 expecting to pull away from a 172.

If you're planning in future mods like coilovers, there are more options available for 172's, and the exhaust is cheaper when (not if!) it falls off.

172 cup
im in the same situation as spoons86 but am deciding whether to buy the 182 cup or 182 wiv cup packs by the sounds of things there is no difference in performance just comfort please correct me if im wrong

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
182cup has cloth (no plastic-leather), no xenons, aircon but no climate control, and a different steering wheel.
Cheaper, drives the same. I had a 182cup, and didn't miss any of the extra's.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
182 Cup 'should' be quicker due to weighing less. However, that difference is going to be so minimal. The extra utility you get from the xenons, auto lights and nicer interior makes it a far better option. That is, unless you want to buy it to strip it completley out.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I don't agree, but this has been done to death. Xenons on the 1*2's are pisch, and the auto wipers/lights work as well as a chocolate teapot. Trophy's mint without the 'extra's', given the money they go for if it had to be a 182 i'd get a cup again.

Civic and Pug
some very interesting stuff there thanks for the feedback, i have been looking around and doing more research over the last few days and have taken a liking to the 182 cup's in black! have seen this one for sale ...
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1563118.htm

although it has been for sale for a while i gives some sort of idea of wht i am after, i have a test drive booked next week in a 182 at a local dealers to see what i think.

some very interesting stuff there thanks for the feedback, i have been looking around and doing more research over the last few days and have taken a liking to the 182 cup's in black! have seen this one for sale ...

although it has been for sale for a while i gives some sort of idea of wht i am after, i have a test drive booked next week in a 182 at a local dealers to see what i think.

That's not a 182 Cup, ignore what the advert says, it's a 182 with both cup packs.

182 cups only ever came in orange or blue, btw.

Titanium 182
Personally think although the 182 xenons aren't that bright they look fooking miles better from outside the car than the standard headlights. And you can always change the bulbs for brighter xenon bulbs...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
its not just when their on i think they look 10x better even when off, it completes the front end of the car and the front bumper looks funny without washers

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-

^^^ do not waste your time with that ACTUAL car ^^^
It was offered to me last year in PX is the biggest pile of Sh*t on the road-
The interior is shagged & the lighter is missing, its due a service- All the alloys are shagged-
See why the photos are all front right - thats because the front left Zenon is smashed- You can see its broken if you look carfeully in one of the pics-
Theres dents all over it-

AVOID

S

The interior is shagged & the lighter is missing, its due a service- All the alloys are shagged-
See why the photos are all front right - thats because the front left Zenon is smashed- You can see its broken if you look carfeully in one of the pics-

AVOID

S

Nice one, CS proving it's worth it's weight in gold yet again!:)

Civic and Pug
i am in shrops near Shrewsbury!

^^that is very nice jus the milage that bothers mr a bit tbh, does look a minter though, am i right in thinking that the above does not have the splitter or the big spoiler...?

Civic and Pug
yep, in process of getting a place there atm as i work there alot and travel in hence the 2 cars becoming one.

Laguna 2, Westfield

AVOID

S

Posts like this always confirm to me that most cheap 182s are complete rubbish - And despite what people say on here, an actual mint 182 is still worth well over 6k for a late low mileage example. Although people seem to get 'minters' like the one above for 25p most weeks.
I'm sure others would agree, DrRollo for one(seen you moan before!) - you generally get what you pay for, i'd certainly want between 6k/7k for mine if i wanted to sell it.

Not a Clio
There are quite a few <40k 172's on autotrader, I've been looking at a few, seem like steals!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Posts like this always confirm to me that most cheap 182s are complete rubbish - And despite what people say on here, an actual mint 182 is still worth well over 6k for a late low mileage example. Although people seem to get 'minters' like the one above for 25p most weeks.
I'm sure others would agree, DrRollo for one(seen you moan before!) - you generally get what you pay for, i'd certainly want between 6k/7k for mine if i wanted to sell it.

Yeah I agree, there are not many that i'd consider buying, 90% of the cheap ones appear to be dogs.

Looking for 182
My Clio buying experience hasn't been great so far, mostly my own fault though to be honest. I'm not a 'car' person, in that I am trying as quick as possible to understand the more mechanical side of things.

I saw a car last Saturday, fell in love with it, bought it, picked it up on Sunday.

On Monday I noticed a loud whine from the power steering (video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IFSRKJQMYU) and it is now costing me £400 to fix it :(

To be honest I rushed into things a bit and as a result I have been stung slightly. I also found out that my car is possibly an import as it has no alarm, and apparently it should do. As I understand it the car was built in France to be sold in the UK, so technically not an import, but it's annoying not having the alarm.