ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup, how many crashed ones

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 17 October 2002

I have an IQ of 75 does that make me half a genius?? Experience and age are inextricably linked but look at the young Rally drivers/Formula 3000 even the likes of Button in Formala One - u cant tell them they shouldnt push on coz they havent got x years of experinece - a younger driver can be as competent/safe on the edge etc as an older one etc - maybe better - however Im a better driver than I was at 17 - think its down to confidence/ driving conditions/car and intelligence maybe - pride/ego is the killer!

I like this.......indeed there are some very special drivers out there.

BUT, as joe rightly says, track raicing, although you average a much higer speed and get far closer and beyond the limits of your race car, its far safer than road driving. Which is why i say i poop myself, i mean, if nobody is there, ill flick teh fezzy sideways across a roundabout, BUT, as soon as one person arrives, i cant bring myself to messing about..........just the thought of skidding @ 35mph into a lamp post with my drivers door broadside.......what the hell is 2mm steel gonna do to stop my head hitting the post at 35mph!? OUCH......

and how many race drivers do you see kill themselves on the road almost cetainly due to Ego,showing off and race experince?

and ego is a big thing, no matter what anybody says, young race drivers WILL see some dood/doodette trying it on them in a faster car and think

"do they know what i do for a living?"

i get that though sometimes and it makes you feel a right smarmy git sometimes......

but there are OLD race drivers for a reason, and its more than luck........

man, what a useless post.......that contributed nothing..LOL

Renault Laguna Coupe

If anyones thinking of doing a driving course Id strongly recommend the one that Motorsport Events run. Its principally aimed at trackday driving, but there was lots of stuff that translated to road driving, like emergency braking etc.

I spose the old flying adage still works.. but translated to road use..

There are Old Racers, and Bold Racers, but, not many Old, Bold Racers..

:confused:

Joe..

I came to driving a year later than my mates. I really, really wanted to drive - but my parents said no. That was because I was the oldest in my year at college (September 11!) and would be the first to drive at 17.

The logic worked, as by the time I came to learn, Id seen how my friends were either stupid, crashed or learnt good things from them. Ive also cycled on the roads since much earlier in my life, so had "the knowledge of the road", so to speak.

It seemed to do the trick, as Im 22 now with no crashes and a more calm attitude to driving than most of my age. But Ive still been a willy sometimes, have been close to crashing and occasionally pushed it too far.

However, Im less likely to do any of that now. Coming close to losing it makes you calm down. And if theres traffic on the motorways, I stick in the inner lane with all the slow-mos - becuase Ive seen what happens when you get in a pile-up!

Id like to think that Ive also retained most my driver training (did pass plus and had extra lessons after passing), and will be doing IAM soon.

If you can remember stuff like that, coupled with practical experience, then itll see you through.

But Im always aware - just because Im a little older, it doesnt mean that the chances of coming a cropper are eliminated altogether.

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Captain Slarty on 16 October 2002

anyone who drives at 160 or 180 on uk public roads is basically braindead.
Oh My God ! Im almost braindead.

Clio v6

Ah so now I know what the secret of my Grannys scones is. Must be the hens milk.

Oh and please stop cause I need a wee.

clio 20v

ok ive only been driving a few years i do in the region of 20000 miles in my van a year plus whatever i do in my car say bout 8000 - 10000

ive got a DR10 on my licence and crashed my 1st car within 3 months of passing my test but ive no other convictions and have 3 yrs no claims at the minute

am i a bad driver!!!

Probably.....

:devilish:

Do, the IAM.... blame Slarty...

naw, you is probably fine m8.. its more about attitude (a lot more), after that many miles you either adopt to the attitude needed or kill a few motorists with road rage attacks lol !!!.

the key indicator is actually the road rage stopping lol !!.. or, an unreasonable desire to sod everyone else behind you and enjoy the view...;)

Dunno really......... but yer probably ok....:oops: - but, you NEED to do the IAM..

clio 20v

road rage is a good point because wen i 1st passed i used to get really mad but now if im in the car with sum1 and sum1 cuts me up ill just shake me head and carry on and whoever is in the car with me will be goin mad but its not worth it

i just learnt to ignore em and the best one is if you accidently cut sum1 up and the freindly sorry wave doesnt work and they go all red and mad heh heh BLOW KISSES AT EM

they hav a little fit in there seat cos they cant do ewt, and driving a van with the offices fone number on the side teaches u to keep ur calm lol

dont worry joe ill do the IAM just 4 you

I tell ya this m8.. you WILL have the best value from any mod !.

Dont expect going flat out every where.. but.. do expect to be shown how to make progress when its safe to do so...

I did mine 22 years ago, and still use the SYSTEM as its called..

with the system, you will NEVER have an accident that is YOUR fault..

If you dont use it, ALL THE TIME, then it WILL fail.

It works on the track too !.. in go-karting on a sunday evening etc... any form of driving...

Joe.. sheeeesh, I should be on bloody commission !

:eek:

clio 20v

its funny cos i drive pat a caravan with the words "warrington institute of advanced motorists" wriiten on it every day wen i go my girlfriends

but truth is i wouldnt know where to go to do it

ill hav to get the number off it nxt time i go past that wud b a start

adi

clio 20v

cheers joe i probably see you on saturday if ur coming to the meet to say hi

ill expect you to have a load of IAM leaflets to hand out

are you getting a dodgy backhander lol

I shall also be there saturday but probably not for long (as ive a night out on the town so need to get food and changed)

Tony;)

FRS Mk3 Red edition

i have bought a CTR and with this purchase i get a MAC training course with a police driving instructor.i am looking forward to this as im sure i will learn a lot from it.I am 32 and cut my teeth on motorbikes from a very early age due to my dad being a fairly respected bike racer in his time, but i am always open to further training.

IMHO i think this is a superb idea as i am purchasing a 200bhp car and other manufacturers should follow suit with their high perfomance cars.

I know that Porsche do the same sort of thing when you buy one of their cars (not sure it its only when you buy new though?) but it is a good idea and it would benefit both the driver and the manufacturer showing that they want you to be safe out there on the roads.

Tony