ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup Racer Help

Clio 220 PH2
Hi all,

My dad has a Clio 200 cup racer and it has been struggling to start when left for a while turns out the crank position sensor was dirty/ on its way out are the crank position sensors the same as the 200 road car ?

Also I need to change the spark plugs and HT leads are these the same as the 200 road car also ? As the car currently has plugs with 3 electrodes.

Sorry for the potentially stupid question but still learning the car what’s the “race car” bits and what are copied from the road car.

Any help would be great

Ben

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I'd be surprised if the CPS was different, unless it's running a different ECU??

The ignition system may be different (thicker HT leads, or non-long-life plugs perhaps), can you get any part numbers off the leads/plugs to check?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hi all,

My dad has a Clio 200 cup racer and it has been struggling to start when left for a while turns out the crank position sensor was dirty/ on its way out are the crank position sensors the same as the 200 road car ?

Also I need to change the spark plugs and HT leads are these the same as the 200 road car also ? As the car currently has plugs with 3 electrodes.

Sorry for the potentially stupid question but still learning the car what’s the “race car” bits and what are copied from the road car.

Any help would be great

Ben
I’m pretty sure the crank sensor is the same mate, but there’s 2 types from memory. The plugs on the mk3 are also the 3 prong type.

Put a pic up and I’ll confirm on the crank sensor.

Clio 220 PH2
I’m pretty sure the crank sensor is the same mate, but there’s 2 types from memory. The plugs on the mk3 are also the 3 prong type.

Put a pic up and I’ll confirm on the crank sensor.
Cheers mate thank you :)

This is the one in it currently
50D1D528-7541-4C7C-B48C-A83C677E399D.jpeg
11C589BA-83D1-4A05-99DC-387768AE9205.jpeg

So I am ok to put the standard mk3 rs plugs in it ? What I will do is take one out and reference the number on the plug before ordering

Thanks again

Clio 220 PH2
I'd be surprised if the CPS was different, unless it's running a different ECU??

The ignition system may be different (thicker HT leads, or non-long-life plugs perhaps), can you get any part numbers off the leads/plugs to check?
Thank you mate I am not sure on the ECUs again this is all a learning curve, the size of the book that came with the car is massive

Couldn’t see anything on the leads, plugs I will check on Monday and post a picture

Thank you for your help

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thank you mate I am not sure on the ECUs again this is all a learning curve, the size of the book that came with the car is massive

Couldn’t see anything on the leads, plugs I will check on Monday and post a picture

Thank you for your help
Cup racers ran magneti marelli ecu’s and dash’s. They also ran a coil pack instead of cop as it was more reliable

Clio 220 PH2
@NorthloopCup thank you very much mate, yeah I would be surprised if they ran too many different engine parts to a standard car because the engine is pretty close to a standard road car if my readings are correct, I will just double check the numbers on the plugs and get some ordered if they match.

Clio 220 PH2
The old gal lives again cleaned the crank sensor up for now unit we winter store the car, new plugs in and a spit of a flame out the exhaust and she’s good
Thank you for the help :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Cheers mate thank you very much I will take a look :) what are they like to order from I have heard mix things
Give them a call direct, I spoke to John and had no problems with my order. I was lucky they were heading over to France the next day to pick up a load of parts so mine was on the list. He was quite helpful

Clio 220 PH2
Give them a call direct, I spoke to John and had no problems with my order. I was lucky they were heading over to France the next day to pick up a load of parts so mine was on the list. He was quite helpful
Cheers mate I shall give him a call I might need a few bits for the car soon so the old wallet needs to come out That was lucky they only normally go over when they get a certain amount of orders
Cheers mate appreciate the help

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
If I'd have missed that run they were heading back over 10 days after, but glad I caught them at the right time as the parts i ordered I wanted before the CS weekender at Blyton. With their involvement with the Clio Cup I imagine they're constantly going over to France picking up parts for the UK teams.